c
Jun 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #31 of 122
Quote:
I agree entirely.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was responding to Hybrid's point about internal stuff performing worse; that's not the case. But I still prefer using my E/90 vs having my PC drive my headphones, even though it works out fantastic in both cases. I like the extra box, lights, knobs, etc. And I think my PC fits into the "aesthetic mammoth" category.
redface.gif

I like the look and feel of my setup as well. Turn some knobs on the NFB to set it up...and use the O2 haha! :)and I have to say, the NFB feels very nice! and has nice innards!

That was very satisfying to look at.

Now I will proceed to listen to "Smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana!

Well I guess some audio stores need to be visited. Many people like audio technica's with their asian music.....considering it is a Japanese brand.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #32 of 122
Wow, just put Nirvana on since you mentioned it - nice pick of the evening, and might I say a *huge* departure from Skynyrd. :basshead:

One of the few tracks that makes me miss my Grados - everything I have is far too polite, and you get the "can't get loud enough" problem. :etysmile:

Oh, we derailed this thread. Sorry Hybrid! :xf_eek:

More on topic:

I think that an external headamp should be considered if it's plausible, but I wouldn't shy away from something like the STX if your PC can take it. Some other options to look at would include Audio-Technica (if AC ever gets mine out to me, I'll tell you more about it), and CI Audio; Schiit and Firestone both make nice looking gear, but I haven't ever tried it.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #33 of 122
Quote:
Wow, just put Nirvana on since you mentioned it - nice pick of the evening, and might I say a *huge* departure from Skynyrd.
basshead.gif

One of the few tracks that makes me miss my Grados - everything I have is far too polite, and you get the "can't get loud enough" problem.
etysmile.gif

Oh, we derailed this thread. Sorry Hybrid!
redface.gif

I tried to pull it back in the end with my comment on audio technica's. Many people from his previous threads have commented and said that they prefer AT's with Asian music

off topic but ridiculous post. I like to read low star comments to learn and unbiasedly(to my ultimate humanely flawed extent) learn why others don't like the product but this was just ridiculous. Open in new tab to see full pic.

'

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #34 of 122
I tried to pull it back in the end with my comment on audio technica's. Many people from his previous threads have commented and said that they prefer AT's with Asian music

off topic but ridiculous post. I like to read low star comments to learn and unbiasedly(to my ultimate humanely flawed extent) learn why others don't like the product but this was just ridiculous. Open in new tab to see full pic.

'

That's what we call a "troll post." :p

As far as the ATs with Asian music - I don't know. The ESW9s didn't do anything spectacular, and they're supposed to be among the most "AT sounding" ATs FWIR. The K1000s do a fantastic job, and some speculate that they're AT based, but I'm not so sure. With most of the music Hybrid links, I really enjoy my Sony and Koss cans. Basically anything that's stellar with vocals. The K701 do an alright job as well; not quite an SA5000 or F1, but for hundreds less, good enough. :)

Also, Hybrid: you have me listening to "Girls' Generation" and I'll say that I'm not hating it...I like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_gfD3nvh-8&feature=relmfu

I have no idea what the devil they're saying though. :xf_eek:

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #35 of 122
Quote:
That's what we call a "troll post."
tongue.gif

As far as the ATs with Asian music - I don't know. The ESW9s didn't do anything spectacular, and they're supposed to be among the most "AT sounding" ATs FWIR. The K1000s do a fantastic job, and some speculate that they're AT based, but I'm not so sure. With most of the music Hybrid links, I really enjoy my Sony and Koss cans. Basically anything that's stellar with vocals. The K701 do an alright job as well; not quite an SA5000 or F1, but for hundreds less, good enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's hard to tell if it's a real troll however :frowning2:

I heard a Beyer DT770 80 ohm and it was fine for asian music but wasn't as good and specified as 701 in case hai-by chan was wondering.

Good night everyone!

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #36 of 122
Quote:
Found the page:
http://www2.jvckenwood.com/products/home_audio/headphone/kh_k1000/index.html
If you happen to read Japanese, I've always been curious what these images are about:

Rough translation:

For the amplitudal position in front and behind the speakers, the magnetic flux is maintained even at high levels.

The grey line represents "normal", the gold line represents "new". To the right of the graph is "minus position" and to the left is "plus position".

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #37 of 122
Quote:
I don't think you can go wrong with the O2/ODAC combo, that's the way I'd go, then start hunting for the headphone that's right for you.

I strongly preferred the HD650 over the Q701, because to my ears, the Q701 was just.....wrong.

But it depends if you want laid back vs sparkly for your music, and how sensitive you are to treble peaks, but to be honest, Japanese music is sparkly enough. 
tongue.gif

The basic STAX is just silly expensive now that the yen is so strong, I'd stay away. My 2050 set new only cost ~$500 a few years ago.

The O2/ODAC is probably what I'll end up with, as I just went to he-who-must-not-be-named's blog (yes, Harry Potter reference because I can't find anything more suiting) to check the release for the ODA and, if this does happen, the DAC upgrade unit for it which might not be the current ODAC. I can get the O2/ODAC combo for $289 at JDSLabs. I should be able to get a good AC adapter that's inexpensive at Radioshack, unless the one JDSLabs sells is the least expensive option I can find.

I'll have to see that for myself at the store, although, I don't have any portable gear which is a problem because I can't listen to the music of my choice.

I just think of Glitter by Perfume when I read that. 
tongue.gif

Electrostatic isn't really an option right now in this budget unfortunately. Why can't the Asian currency just drop for a bit? 
tongue.gif

Quote:
I get what Hai by chan wants, it seems a upper mid to low high tier is what Hai-by chan wants with a good DAC and Amp be it in a combo.

I didn't want to use the word but yes, the E17 was warm and musical. Not entirealy accurate though, but for newbies. IT's actually welcome. Not that you need it.

Depending on your gear, I may or may not say O2. The O2 works fine for cleaner cans like the 701, but for my Ultrasones, and Sony's. The Audio-gd is the way to go. Super neutral and "Clear" aren't really words that can be used for the two. Both the NFB and O2 are "neutral" but the O2 offers a cleaner sound..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/564465/misconception-of-neutral-accurate

See if you can give this a good read hai-by chan! Really informative post!

I doubt your parents would let you ride the train with me 90-120 miles away from home 
wink.gif
 I'll be at the store STAT!

I'll be selling the O2 of course. I only bought it to "learn" off of it. But really, although it works better with my 701's and Shure's in the sense that it's cleaner. The difference at this range with my gear and tastes doesn't change or make songs sound bad or anything.

Just read it. Good read.

I'm in Connecticut too. 
tongue.gif
 And if I go, I'm going by car and making a stop by the airport and Chinatown. Those two are like the "must go" stops. I might go to Ikea but that's irrelevant to this.
Quote:
On the Kenwoods - the AC description is just wrong; I don't know why. It's always been like that. If you dig around a bit you can find the JVC/Kenwood Japan site and product page for them - trust me that you will receive a real Kenwood headphone from Kenwood Japan that is made in Japan, and that AC's website is just prone to be screwed up (they're a lot better if you deal with them via e-mail in my experience). Sorry about the ESP/950 thing - I didn't know the price had just jumped to the moon.
I'd probably go with the Sennheiser based on your budget, or the AKGs if you're hurting for money. Both do a good job and are a great introduction to high end sound. They're really competitive, and it's just a shame that the Sennheiser's are being victimized by the MAP.
On the amp thing - I agree and disagree. The whole RFI mythology is where I disagree; there is no boogey man with something like the STX or Recon. It will work swimmingly. But I agree with bowei about the aesthetics of a desktop unit, and it is more versatile because it's independent of the computer. This is why I like suggesting the 950 - it's an AIO solution, again, I had no idea the price had been ratcheted WAY up.
Found the page:
http://www2.jvckenwood.com/products/home_audio/headphone/kh_k1000/index.html
If you happen to read Japanese, I've always been curious what these images are about:

So basically, tl;dr: Get the AKGs or Sennheisers on Amazon (where you can return if you're unhappy) and try'em out. Grab some amp at some point too.

Yeah, the description puzzled me. I'll be sure to try it at AC though. It sounds promising from what I've heard from a few people.

That's fine with the electrostatics. The economy can be unpredictable at times.
Quote:
Some may not care about asthetics but my time with computers and audio has shown that we are all human. How "good" it looks can HAVE A HUGE effect on the human perspective of sound. This is for most head-fier's. Top end one's are less likely to get it, but then again. Top end units are asthetic mammoths. 

There are many companies on head-fi that make such many combo units or whatevever. Take a look around, Audio-gd is quite popular though.

This. The company usually considers aesthetics for their best products so it's also something to look at too.
Quote:
I agree entirely.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was responding to Hybrid's point about internal stuff performing worse; that's not the case. But I still prefer using my E/90 vs having my PC drive my headphones, even though it works out fantastic in both cases. I like the extra box, lights, knobs, etc. And I think my PC fits into the "aesthetic mammoth" category.
redface.gif

It's possible. Sometimes companies go for aesthetics over performance (*cough*beats*cough*).

That reminds me, I tried all the Beats I could get my hands on at best buy (of course they weren't amped) and the bass is loose. It's spilling everywhere, so the impact isn't really directed at the listener. At least that's what I heard. I tried a pair of Sennheisers (I think the HD429. I know it's one of the 400 headphones) which sounded pretty good compared to the beats. The weren't amped of course, so I don't really know their true potential, and I don't really know what to expect either.
Quote:
Wow, just put Nirvana on since you mentioned it - nice pick of the evening, and might I say a *huge* departure from Skynyrd.
basshead.gif

One of the few tracks that makes me miss my Grados - everything I have is far too polite, and you get the "can't get loud enough" problem.
etysmile.gif

Oh, we derailed this thread. Sorry Hybrid!
redface.gif

More on topic:
I think that an external headamp should be considered if it's plausible, but I wouldn't shy away from something like the STX if your PC can take it. Some other options to look at would include Audio-Technica (if AC ever gets mine out to me, I'll tell you more about it), and CI Audio; Schiit and Firestone both make nice looking gear, but I haven't ever tried it.

Don't worry. I'm used to this happening.

I'm dying to hear the A900x with J-pop and other Japanese music, so I will definitely listen to some Audio-Technicas. If I'm very, very lucky, I'll be able to demo some properly amped AD1000prm's somewhere, somehow.
Quote:

'

That's what I've seen so far. Somebody quoted another person in my previous headphone thread who tested some headphones (AH-D2000, A900x, etc.) with some music, and the A900x was one of the preferred headphones I believe.
Quote:
That's what we call a "troll post."
tongue.gif

As far as the ATs with Asian music - I don't know. The ESW9s didn't do anything spectacular, and they're supposed to be among the most "AT sounding" ATs FWIR. The K1000s do a fantastic job, and some speculate that they're AT based, but I'm not so sure. With most of the music Hybrid links, I really enjoy my Sony and Koss cans. Basically anything that's stellar with vocals. The K701 do an alright job as well; not quite an SA5000 or F1, but for hundreds less, good enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, Hybrid: you have me listening to "Girls' Generation" and I'll say that I'm not hating it...I like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_gfD3nvh-8&feature=relmfu
I have no idea what the devil they're saying though.
redface.gif

The ESW9 is more of a travel headphones, not that I'm saying there would be an enormous difference, although because it's smaller, the driver might be smaller too. I didn't check. K1000 is definitely on my to-try list.

Ah, I did listen to that one. I don't understand Korean, but they integrate English into a lot of their music, as most (I don't know if they all are) bilingual. They sing in mainly Korean and English. They've sung in Japanese once (Gee has a Japanese version).
Quote:

Rough translation:

For the amplitudal position in front and behind the speakers, the magnetic flux is maintained even at high levels.

The grey line represents "normal", the gold line represents "new". To the right of the graph is "minus position" and to the left is "plus position".

That's the closest I can get. No, I don't understand Japanese (I only know simple words and phrases, very simple), I just have a Japanese learning textbook for everyday life next to me with the table of characters which I just threw into Google translate.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #38 of 122
Depending on what headphones you get the combo might not be the best. There are many used or even new Audio Gd and other units out there for the same price that will work better with different headphones. the O2 works well with the AKG Q/K701's but the NFB works well with bassy ultrasone's.

The JDS Labs O2 itself isn't really good value..... they have a cheap but highly recommended bargain op amp installed as opposed to a high performance or elite class op amp. I got hooked up iwth a high performance O2 and I won't go into price but....$150 is making them so much profit you don't even know.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #39 of 122
I'd be willing to build the O2/ODAC for you (for free), which would probably save quite a bit of money. Although the fact that I'm in another continent makes shipping a serious cost.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #40 of 122
Quote:
I'd be willing to build the O2/ODAC for you (for free), which would probably save quite a bit of money. Although the fact that I'm in another continent makes shipping a serious cost.

You can't build the ODAC. Only the O2. My experience has been had...shipping cost is the largest issue! 60+% of my O2's cost was shipping. 
You can buy the ODAC and then attach it to the O2 that was built. Last I checked only JDS labs made the ODAC?

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #41 of 122

You can't build the ODAC. Only the O2. My experience has been had...shipping cost is the largest issue! 60+% of my O2's cost was shipping. 
You can buy the ODAC and then attach it to the O2 that was built. Last I checked only JDS labs made the ODAC?

Of course you can't. But I can make the O2, and I can order the ODAC and attach it, or HybridCore can do that himself if it saves costs.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #43 of 122
Of course you can't. But I can make the O2, and I can order the ODAC and attach it, or HybridCore can do that himself if it saves costs.

How are you going to get the PCB?

How much can you make an O2 and ship it to the U.S for?

Group buy €58 shipped to the Netherlands. Shipping to US is about €36 with insurance.

So total is about $120

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 122
Quote:
Group buy €58 shipped to the Netherlands. Shipping to US is about €36 with insurance.
So total is about $120

Group buy means that you will need a few people to be on board right?

I'm going to guess that $120 includes better op amp than JDS labs is offering :)

See if Hai-by chan considers it after he chooses it a headphone! :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 122

So total is about $120

Group buy means that you will need a few people to be on board right?

I'm going to guess that $120 includes better op amp than JDS labs is offering :)

See if Hai-by chan considers it after he chooses it a headphone! :)

It's from a big group buy thread on DiyAudio.

All the components are the ones from the standard BOM.

Components really aren't the most expensive. It's the PCB and enclosure that weigh heavy to the costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back