BTG-Audio Cable Impressions, Reviews and Discussion | Sunrise, Starlight & FitEar
Nov 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #46 of 203
Brian just posted on his website that the Starlight cable is now available for pre-order:
http://btg-audio.webs.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2706350&id=15566476

I have a review sample on hand that I can post some thoughts on regarding build and aesthetics later this week, plus pictures. I'm still waiting on my AS-2 and I still need to get my 1964 Quads reshelled, so I can't yet give any usage updates, as those are my only customs. I'm expecting a shipping notification on the AS-2 any time now...

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #47 of 203
I've updated the first post with some information and thoughts on the Startlight Cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Updated 11/19/12

The Starlight Cable

The Starlight Cable has arrived! The Starlight is an SPC (silver plated copper) version of the Sunrise cable.  Build and quality are to the same great standards with nylon sleeving below the Y-split and clear wire above.  I must say the Starlight looks awesome; the silver and black look is classy and sophisticated and the more I handle the cable, the more I appreciate the nylon below the Y-split.  Brian has it fitted for the best balance between flexibility, form and durability.  This cable gives up very little to the Whiplash Twag in flexibility and certainly rivals it for looks.  Perhaps most importantly, the Starlight Cable is significantly cheaper, yet quality equaling any competitor.  Pre-order is up now on the BTG web store for reduced pricing. I'm not sure what final pricing will be at a later date but pre-order pricing puts this cable at the best value I've seen on the market:
http://btg-audio.webs.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2706350&id=15566476

Now for some eye candy:

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

I will give some further usage impressions once my new customs arrive in the coming weeks.  The Startlight should look great with the 1964 Ears Quads in translucent white!​

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #49 of 203
Hello, 

Just wanted to thank BTG for these incredible well made cables.... my Heir 4A are happy and my Hears to...:wink:

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #51 of 203
For those of you who have bought a BTG CIEM cable, how many days did it take for you to get it? Also, what is the added benefit to the sleeve?

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #52 of 203
I'm really thinking of trying the Starlight.  Finally...a cable-maker who who doesn't charge what I consider to be totally insane prices.  Can anyone tell me:  is the connector for my Earsonics SM64 the same as the ones Westone uses (& thus compatible w/ the Starlight)?

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #55 of 203
I just got in a pair of Sunrise copper cables, but the top section has black coating so that the color of the wire doesn't show (or tarnish!). I had a custom make though, as I wanted some additional length and I specified 52". The build is fantastic, comfortable, flexible, and nicely complements the look of my Fitear TG!334's. So far, regarding sound quality, they're nice and full sounding, with very good detail while being very smooth without any harshness. 

I'll let them run in some, and do some A/B/C'ing with the stock cable and my ALO SXC silver. More to come regarding sound.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #57 of 203

At this point I probably have six or so hours on the cable (been using it a lot this afternoon and evening), however I don't really note any blatant sonic changes, nor do I expect any. For the observations I'll be comparing to the stock 001 and ALO SXC iem cables. 

Comfort:
- The BTG is easily the best of the three; soft, flexible, and doesn't tangle. It is the stark opposite to the ALO in this regard, which has a metallic stiffness to it and just wants to get into a tangled mess while also trying to spring in different directions at the same time. The BTG cable is worlds better than both of the others here. 

Microphonics:
- The BTG is fairly microphonic, pretty similar to the stock and ALO, as those are both pretty noisy too. But the chin slider helps immensely. I had to order a clip-on slide for the ALO cable which has been a god-send for making it actually usable. But it is the most microphonic I'd say, with big thumps coming when a section contacts your shirt.

Build:
- BTG's cable exudes quality with its nylon lower sheathing, clear heat-wrapped Y-juncture, and well done memory wire. The mini-jack on mine is a Viablue, which is simply gorgeous. The upper secitons feel a tad thin, and time will tell how well they hold up. But I'd have no worries at all about Brian taking care of his customers should something go wrong. One nitpick- I wish the color dots on the mini-plugs had been executed just like the ones on the stock and ALO cables. Those have more easily seen dots which line up with the ones on the outside of the earphone shell.

The good part--> sound: 
- Right away on first listen I noticed how dynamic yet smooth the cable sounds. I'd put it about on par with the ALO in terms of sheer quality and enjoyment, but it's a slightly different flavor. It's more analog and smooth sounding, with even less harshness, while the ALO is a touch brighter and in your face with the treble and detail portrayal. Bass may be a touch fuller with the BTG, while on the ALO it's got more of a taut snappy feel with about the same ultimate low extension. Both cables convey a similar sense of spaciousness.

Overall:
Compared to the stock 001 cable both are a marked step up in sonic attributes, but I think my loyalty is starting to shift to the BTG because of that nice smooth sonic quality while portraying all the details, combined with the comfort and nicer build. And you can't argue with Brian's pricing. Mine barely topped $100 with extra coming from additional length, and the black coating to the top wire section, as well as the Viablue jack. It's a great cable for anyone looking to upgrade from stock without spending a fortune (like with stratospheric 000 Fitear one). 

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #58 of 203
Quote:

Comfort:
- The BTG is easily the best of the three; soft, flexible, and doesn't tangle. It is the stark opposite to the ALO in this regard, which has a metallic stiffness to it and just wants to get into a tangled mess while also trying to spring in different directions at the same time. The BTG cable is worlds better than both of the others here. 

Microphonics:
- The BTG is fairly microphonic, pretty similar to the stock and ALO, as those are both pretty noisy too. But the chin slider helps immensely. I had to order a clip-on slide for the ALO cable which has been a god-send for making it actually usable. But it is the most microphonic I'd say, with big thumps coming when a section contacts your shirt.

Build:
- BTG's cable exudes quality with its nylon lower sheathing, clear heat-wrapped Y-juncture, and well done memory wire. The mini-jack on mine is a Viablue, which is simply gorgeous. The upper secitons feel a tad thin, and time will tell how well they hold up. But I'd have no worries at all about Brian taking care of his customers should something go wrong. One nitpick- I wish the color dots on the mini-plugs had been executed just like the ones on the stock and ALO cables. Those have more easily seen dots which line up with the ones on the outside of the earphone shell.

Completely agree with how the ALO SXC is --- I was surprised at how horrible its ergonomics were. Then I saw on their website that it used PFA for sleeving. A little amateurish to use PFA on ALO's part, honestly. The microphonics and the slight tendency for a memory effect of the Sunset led me to buy the Starlight, because it's made with LLD-PE rather than XL-PE. I find that LLD-PE is the least microphonic and softest of all the insulative materials I've tried. However, the upside to XLPE is that it's stronger than LLD-PE, so I wouldn't worry about the thinness of the sleeving. I've been abusing my Sunset CIEM cable for months, and it doesn't even come close to showing signs of breaking down.

Hopefully, I'll get mine soon. USPS International is pretty slow, though.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #59 of 203
Good to know about the strength of the thin sections, and thanks for the explanation of the coatings. Look forward to your observations when you receive your BTG. 

At least with the ALO and BTG cables there are options for decent sound improvement over stock 001... But the comfort category is definitely dominated by one! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back