BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #556 of 5,353
Try some kz star tips. 3 pair for 79 cents on aliexpress. Super cheap but work really well. (Do not come off) Symbios defoamed are good too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliexpress.com/item/32724406344.html#ampf=undefined

I rolled with Dekoni foam tips, Fiio memory foam tips, balanced silicone tips and bass silicone tips. The Fiio memory foam tips that came with my Fiio FH5 sounded the best to me. They maintained the low end and smoothed out the peaks in the treble without losing detail. Given, I prefer a warm sound signature due to treble sensitivity.

Dekoni foam tips reduce low end and elevate the highs slightly giving a more neutral sound signature. Silicone tips produce a nice detailed sound with a bit of brightness and extended bass (slight v-shape).

Thanks guys! I'll have a look there :)

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #557 of 5,353
Has anyone tried the BGVP DM6 with Hifiman megamini DAP? I bought a Tenhz P4 Pro and the hiss is terrible with this DAP. They are fine with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC but with this DAP, well... let me just say that I don't recommend this pairing.
I have Megamini, with DM6 you can hear the hiss when no song is playing. You'd have to listen to really quite songs to be bothered with it imho. Except the hiss, Megamini sounds awesome, especially for the $50 now, insane...

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #558 of 5,353
I have Megamini, with DM6 you can hear the hiss when no song is playing. You'd have to listen to really quite songs to be bothered with it imho. Except the hiss, Megamini sounds fantastic, especially for the $50 now, insane...

Yes. I bought it at the same price during the black friday deal. It works great with all my other headphones (HD600, ATH-M40x, and RE400). But the Tenhz are very, very sensitive. I read somewhere that the Megamini is not suitable to drive headphones with BAs...

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #560 of 5,353
I think a wide bore tip suits the DM6 best, i tried to find a generic eartip that looks like the stock ear tips but more durable, i found one and it doesn't get easily removed and remain in the ears now

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #561 of 5,353
I find the DM6 sensitive to noise from source but i have never tried the P4 pro before. I believe people say in the massdrop p4 pro discussion section the noise cuts down after changing to a good aftermarket cable.

Can you point me to that thread? The issue I'm complaining is about the megamini hiss, which I think is picked-up by the Tenhz due to its high sensitivity. Just to give you an idea: the volume range of the Megamini goes up to 32, but with the Tenhz I cannot go over 16-18.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #562 of 5,353
Can you point me to that thread? The issue I'm complaining is about the megamini hiss, which I think is picked-up by the Tenhz due to its high sensitivity. Just to give you an idea: the volume range of the Megamini goes up to 32, but with the Tenhz I cannot go over 16-18.

I believe I have seem it mentioned a few times before but cannot accurately pinpoint at the moment besides this person mentioning they better after cable change in response to post about the buzzing: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tenhz-p4-pro-iem/talk/2285594?utm_source=linkshare&referer=QCUMKH

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #563 of 5,353
I find the DM6 sensitive to noise from source but i have never tried the P4 pro before. I believe people say in the massdrop p4 pro discussion section the noise cuts down after changing to a good aftermarket cable.

I also agree that the DM6 is sensitive to noise from source, like a lot of sensitive IEMs. My Fiio FH5 responds the same as the DM6. If the P4 Pro is experiencing noise from source, then the DM6 will likely do the same. My P4 Pro arrives on Monday, so I can confirm from same source with both IEMs.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #565 of 5,353
I also agree that the DM6 is sensitive to noise from source, like a lot of sensitive IEMs. My Fiio FH5 responds the same as the DM6. If the P4 Pro is experiencing noise from source, then the DM6 will likely do the same. My P4 Pro arrives on Monday, so I can confirm from same source with both IEMs.

yup, the DM6 is sensitive, i had to buy an iematch for my dap, can't really hear the hiss if the music is playing or if the environment is noisy

heck the DM6 has an audible hiss when plugged into the Nintendo Switch lol

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #570 of 5,353
Persuaded by all the rave reviews I bought a pair of DM6s from Penon (always excellent service) and I have to say they live up to the hype. I have had them for about 2 weeks now, and these are incredible for a $200 iem. I have been comparing them with my 3 year old Shure se500s - which still cost over $500. It's kind of shocking how much better the DM6s are (and I really like the Shures). More impactful bass, bigger soundstage, better dynamics, better detail. I find they are too intense and immersive for casual listening while I am working - these are for dedicated listening sessions. Really interesting how the best chi fi is changing the cost / performance equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back