BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 9, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #2,356 of 5,353
As you have two dm6 are they acting the same with the same cable and dap in treble area? As i want to understand if there was some differencies we can hear between different dm6 bgvp produced.

I do have two pairs of DM6 IEMs. And in the beginning they sounded identical with stock cables. Both came with the silver-copper grey/white stock cables. Keep in mind too, that many ordered their DM6 with the pure white silver cable. I have never heard that particular cable but it is known to be bright. The reason I use two different pairs of DM6 IEMs is that I have tested them to discover they sound exactly the same. Having two with different cables allows a person to test back and forth with-out changing cables. It also reduces the incidence of switchouts on the MMCX connector.

Just the last couple days I actually saw a used DM6 for sale and it had a white cable. You simply have to wonder if the white cable can make them too bright. Folks have also sold their new DM6 purchases off a week after receiving them saying they had issues with the treble.

Obviously there will be a plethora of reasons that a small percentage don’t think the DM6 is the bee’s knees. That’s OK not everyone is going to like the same IEM.

My goal would suggest that anyone who ends up with an issue with the treble to at least try different cables and try a range of tips. Even if a person does not believe in a cable change having an effect on IEM tone, to at least try a copper cable.

I have tried the DM6 IEMs with 5 different cables and received 5 different sound response characters. Some were greater differences and some cable changes resulted in smaller differences.

This thread is interesting too as we now are also hearing of members who conferm the overall sound smoothing out after 40 hours of continuous burn-in. These are enthusiasts who have never believed in burn-in nor thought there would be such a change. They can’t explain the differences they are hearing but conferm things are different.

So to add up the options.

We know different tips change the sound.
We know different cables change the sound.
We know different DAPs can result in slighly different sound.
We know burn-in of 40 hours has a smoothing effect.

It’s just that the DM6 has been one of the best values is Head-Fi history. Also as far as the facts are we are fairly sure all the serial numbers both early and late sound the same. We also know the rumors of different issues being an early sound signature and a later MK2 soundsignature with a small HD sticker was absolutely not true. And finally if the treble is too hot, burn in for 40 hours, get rid of the white silver material cable and roll tips till you reach a sound your after.

With the responsiveness of this particular IEM, we don’t need crossover switches to change the tone to our liking. Just slight easy to perform changes will get the sound for most people. IMO

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,357 of 5,353
I do have two pairs of DM6 IEMs. And in the beginning they sounded identical with stock cables. Both came with the silver-copper grey/white stock cables. Keep in mind too, that many ordered their DM6 with the pure white silver cable. I have never heard that particular cable but it is known to be bright. The reason I use two different pairs of DM6 IEMs is that I have tested them to discover they sound exactly the same. Having two with different cables allows a person to test back and forth with-out changing cables. It also reduces the incidence of switchouts on the MMCX connector.

Just the last couple days I actually saw a used DM6 for sale and it had a white cable. You simply have to wonder if the white cable can make them too bright. Folks have also sold their new DM6 purchases off a week after receiving them saying they had issues with the treble.

Obviously there will be a plethora of reasons that a small percentage don’t think the DM6 is the bee’s knees. That’s OK not everyone is going to like the same IEM.

My goal would suggest that anyone who ends up with an issue with the treble to at least try different cables and try a range of tips. Even if a person does not believe in a cable change having an effect on IEM tone, to at least try a copper cable.

I have tried the DM6 IEMs with 5 different cables and received 5 different sound response characters. Some were greater differences and some cable changes resulted in smaller differences.

This thread is interesting too as we now are also hearing of members who conferm the overall sound smoothing out after 40 hours of continuous burn-in. These are enthusiasts who have never believed in burn-in nor thought there would be such a change. They can’t explain the differences they are hearing but conferm things are different.

So to add up the options.

We know different tips change the sound.
We know different cables change the sound.
We know different DAPs can result in slighly different sound.
We know burn-in of 40 hours has a smoothing effect.

It’s just that the DM6 has been one of the best values is Head-Fi history. Also as far as the facts are we are fairly sure all the serial numbers both early and late sound the same. We also know the rumors of different issues being an early sound signature and a later MK2 soundsignature with a small HD sticker was absolutely not true. And finally if the treble is too hot, burn in for 40 hours, get rid of the white silver material cable and roll tips till you reach a sound your after.

With the responsiveness of this particular IEM, we don’t need crossover switches to change the tone to our liking. Just slight easy to perform changes will get the sound for most people. IMO
Thanks for summing up all the experience. Basicaly i agree with all this. I am going next week to the shop to test few different cable as my cooper i received is balanced and wit my k3 dac it' s not the best option. Single end seems to sound better as strange as it sound. Sometimes seems that dm6 doesnt like too much power or overpowering. They are really efficient as we all know, so balanced more power sometimes can affect dm6. So tips i already found, will need to find best cable for them single ended

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,358 of 5,353
...I simply wonder why people give up the DM6 and sell them off complaining about treble.

Remember if a person is specifically not a cable believer they have no options as they don’t believe cables work, so they don’t even try.

I can sit back and enjoy my Sony cable and be happy. But when ever I read about treble issues, I always hope they try tips and a different cable.

I’m with you in this and is why l also continue to post tips for others having treble complaints. Like you I think it’s a potentially fantastic earphone and I want others to share it too.
Buying more tips and cable are small investment if you consider how high DM6 already punches at its price point. Sure it won’t suit some even without 8khz issue but others would be wise to persevere and not give up too soon. Take the advice and than decide.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,359 of 5,353
The problem with the cables is these 6 or 8 or even 12 conductor cables are ridiculous. I come from an engineering background and all these conductors create a capacitance effect, in other words, your damn cable is a capacitor in which some freq are boosted over others. To me this is a non-starter. The only cable I feel I would want is a SINGLE CONDUCTOR, ultra thin cable, like this:

61UgY8VYeKL._SL1200_.jpg

And I aint spending 100 bux for a cable on a 200 bux IEM. LOL

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,360 of 5,353
61UgY8VYeKL._SL1200_.jpg

Would you feel more comfortable in doing so if the DMG6 was priced in the same extortionate range as ones it is said to be competing with :p

One would expect that after someone spends $500, $800+ on earphones they wouldn’t feel the need to buy additional cables .. guess what that’s not the case at all. Personally I wouldn’t spend much more than $40-60 on earphones cables as I’m well aware of diminishing returns. It’s a crazy hobby and the quicker one learns to set limits and expectations the better.

And unfortunately science can’t always elxplain everything including how we sense things differently when on paper all is the same.
Take the example of your new found narrow tips that help to control sibilance - how does engineering explain that especially when narrow bore tips are doing the opposite for others ?

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,361 of 5,353
Thanks for summing up all the experience. Basicaly i agree with all this. I am going next week to the shop to test few different cable as my cooper i received is balanced and wit my k3 dac it' s not the best option. Single end seems to sound better as strange as it sound. Sometimes seems that dm6 doesnt like too much power or overpowering. They are really efficient as we all know, so balanced more power sometimes can affect dm6. So tips i already found, will need to find best cable for them single ended

Actually many of us have accidentally listened to the DM6 at an extremely high volume for moments and they don’t distort. They don’t begin to distort any human volume.

I’m with you in this and is why l also continue to post tips for others having treble complaints. Like you I think it’s a potentially fantastic earphone and I want others to share it too.
Buying more tips and cable are small investment if you consider how high DM6 already punches at its price point. Sure it won’t suit some even without 8khz issue but others would be wise to persevere and not give up too soon. Take the advice and than decide.

Well, even if folks don’t want to believe cables can change the sound, hopefully they can be open minded enough to simply try it blindly? What my main point is is that out of 5 cables, there is only one I truly like.

The problem with the cables is these 6 or 8 or even 12 conductor cables are ridiculous. I come from an engineering background and all these conductors create a capacitance effect, in other words, your damn cable is a capacitor in which some freq are boosted over others. To me this is a non-starter. The only cable I feel I would want is a SINGLE CONDUCTOR, ultra thin cable, like this:

61UgY8VYeKL._SL1200_.jpg

First off the DM6 is not a $200 IEM it’s a $900 IEM that just by happenstance cost $199. Now if you need a $98 IEM cable to unlock the other qualities it’s still a value.

I’m using the Sony $98 Cable I linked to earlier right now. I’m using a $3000 Dap as a file source to a $2000 solid-state desktop DAC/amplifier. So yes, I’m using $5000 in front end gear but the DM6 does it justice. The beauty is the $199 DM6 with the $98 cable and a $600 Sony ZX300 Dap gets a person 90% of to where I am right now. That’s a deal.

By the way, who would buy the silly hair thin cable you posted anyway? It looks like it would break if you sneezed?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2,362 of 5,353

61UgY8VYeKL._SL1200_.jpg

I wanna add that cable to my collection.....any links? :wink:

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,363 of 5,353
Here you go Hawaiibadboy:

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-Ultra-Thin-Audio-Cable/dp/B00MQVQFCI

:D

I'd be super interested to know how it sounds in comparison with other cables actually, maybe a freq comparison with your rig. :)

]Take the example of your new found narrow tips that help to control sibilance - how does engineering explain that especially when narrow bore tips are doing the opposite for others ?

I am starting to think that maybe it's actually the distance between the DM6 ear pipe and my ear drum. Some tips place the pipe really near my ear drum, and others further away. The engineer in me says the proximity effect should have a larger effect than some kind of odd resonance in the treble region. I feel like the ear canal diameter is too large to effect high frequencies in respect to resonant frequencies. If an average ear canal diameter is 2.5cm, the resonant frequency would be in the rage of 10Ghz to 12Ghz at full wavelength. At 1/4 wave length, 3.0Ghz

See what I mean, the resonant freq at 2.5CM is in the GIGAHERTS spectrum, not even close to hearing range.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #2,364 of 5,353
EEA9B869-A066-4185-8745-7647DDED5794.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-Muc-m12nb1-44mm-Balanced-Plug-12m-Replacement-Cable-for-XBA-Series/10005747985?iid=302664330374&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20170810093926&meid=485892cc55674439a6aa136311f5aabf&pid=100854&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=302664330374&_trksid=p2349526.c100854.m4779&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D3%26campId%3D5338093425%26toolId%3D10001%26customId%3Djrxp74mwb001zlp100004%26mpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fp%252FSony-Muc-m12nb1-44mm-Balanced-Plug-12m-Replacement-Cable-for-XBA-Series%252F10005747985%253Fiid%253D302664330374%2526_trkparms%253Daid%25253D555018%252526algo%25253DPL.SIM%252526ao%25253D1%252526asc%25253D20170810093926%252526meid%25253D485892cc55674439a6aa136311f5aabf%252526pid%25253D100854%252526rk%25253D1%252526rkt%25253D1%252526%252526itm%25253D302664330374%2526_trksid%253Dp2349526.c100854.m4779%26srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1852085864330%26rvr_ts%3Dd31a65b41680add885d50bf3fff3b779

It should be noted this cable is actually not a highly regarded audiophile cable. Sony often sells cables regularly at $299 which are made in conjunction with Kimber Kable. This cable is actually regarded as a cable which does not provide the best treble extension. It maybe has some good synergy? But because I have still not tried the holy grail pure copper cables, I’m always saying take my opinions with a grain of salt. I’m not sure what the best cable is for the DM6, I just know what works for me in my uses at the present time. Cheers.

The only thing I do know is 4 other cables I like less with the DM6.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,365 of 5,353
Here you go Hawaiibadboy:

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-Ultra-Thin-Audio-Cable/dp/B00MQVQFCI

:D

I'd be super interested to know how it sounds in comparison with other cables actually, maybe a freq comparison with your rig. :)

I am starting to think that maybe it's actually the distance between the DM6 ear pipe and my ear drum. Some tips place the pipe really near my ear drum, and others further away. The engineer in me says the proximity effect should have a larger effect than some kind of odd resonance in the treble region. I feel like the ear canal diameter is too large to effect high frequencies in respect to resonant frequencies. If an average ear canal diameter is 2.5cm, the resonant frequency would be in the rage of 10Ghz to 12Ghz at full wavelength. At 1/4 wave length, 3.0Ghz

See what I mean, the resonant freq at 2.5CM is in the GIGAHERTS spectrum, not even close to hearing range.

WRONG

G03.jpg

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,366 of 5,353
I think that is open ear. That effect is the cupping effect the outer ear skin creates.

Keep in mind im talking about resonant frequencies. There may be other things at play in the ear canal, such as tissue damping frequencies.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #2,367 of 5,353
61UgY8VYeKL._SL1200_.jpg

I wouldn’t go near that cable for DM6.

In the audiophile HiFi world when Bi-Wiring speakers to amps for better sound, somwtimes two separate different cable types are used.
A single strand HQ copper cable for the High frequency and a multi core HQ copper strand (100s) for the Mid-Low end. These are considered to be the best type of carrier for each frequency range.

http://www.ecossecables.co.uk/ecosse_speakercable_ms4.45.html

Everything about the the Westone single conductor cable including its Silver plating is pointing to accentuated highs for detail freaks.

This is not what most would want from the DM6.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,368 of 5,353
So now, both Sony and Westone make garbage cables and their engineers don't understand sound. I just don't buy it. The audiophile hifi world is full off bull. It is what it is.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,369 of 5,353
So now, both Sony and Westone make garbage cables and their engineers don't understand sound. I just don't buy it. The audiophile hifi world is full off bull****. It is what it is.

Calm down mate . . 2+2=5 ??

They most likely tailor developed those cables to suit particular earphones with their in-house sound signature.

Number of factors are required to achieve the best Synergy that delivers the sound the earphones were tuned to produce. In this case I don’t believe the Westone would suit the DM6 at and by chance the Sony XBA cable does.
Sony XBA are known to be bass rich so the cable was probably developed to suit that. Maybe it’s Multi-stranded ??

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,370 of 5,353
About this 20 ohm adapter , i think i got the same from penon few days ago. Well it removes bass, dynamics from dm6 and it is worthless. Only less hiss. But it's useless anyway. So anyone who still haven't ordered in my opinion dont try. My advice.
I have received my 80 ohms adapter yesterday from Amazon slow delivery ($1 in digital content). On the hiby R6, it removes a lot of bass and that's about it, the trebble is the same. On my galaxy s9 (snapdragon) it eliminates the hiss and removes a little bit of bass. So yeah it is completely useless for me but I wanted to give it a try at $7.20190208_221932.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back