BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #2,341 of 5,353
I can’t wait to get hold of my DM6 cable as I’m curious how much more I can enjoy the DM6.
I expect it to bring a subtle but a positive change. Tips and the V30 combination are already playing music within my sibilance tolerance level. It’s just the very odd track that is often recorded with sibilance that can sound little tiring. I have to go looking for such tracks. That’s there is such a thing as good and bad recording cd press.

It’s been said the better the quality of audio recording the more the DM6 will make it shine.
So true. I don’t think I have come across a single 24/96 and over track to cause any fatigue from sibilance. They tend to sound detailed and yet smooth at the same time.

Kicking back in bed and having hard time taking out the earphones... just one more track syndrome. No fatigue with Fleetwood Mac’s Tango in the Night remaster in glorious 24/96.

This is a definitive Show casing album for the DM6 - just sounds so amazing.
You owe it to yourself to get this album and take a listen. Details, clarity, soundstage, stereo imaging, mids, bass is all there perfectly presented without any sibilance.

I wish I could share this foot tapping moment with you all than just this picture.

A9C098AC-BE3E-47EB-ADFA-B49182672657.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #2,343 of 5,353
Hi guys, just got my DM6, What is the best cable for DM6 you can recommend? I would like to change stock cable, and is there a difference in 16 core cable and 8 core? I like to buy this one what do you think?https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...55-467d-bf3e-813e423af47a&transAbTest=ae803_5

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #2,345 of 5,353

Using Etymotic as a ref the DM6 has no peak in the 7-9Khz area on my rig. I did it one after the other. If you hear no harshness it is because there is none. Not on my set anyway

Only one (or second) aswer. Different units has different tunings in this 7-9 khz area ( or the ears sensivity to some frequencies but this i dont believe). If you was in Europe, i really could send my unit to compare it with yours. So could answer these questions to everyone. Japan is a little bit too complicated. But this really need to be answered somehow. Where is the answer - in iem hardware or in my and others ears "hardware" :) In kanas pro for example really no peaks and harsheness anywhere with all sources i have. With my dm6 there is (more or less dependant of source and tips).

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #2,347 of 5,353
Yep, I am using my NICEHCK 8 core copper cable that I've been recommending, ever since I've made cable/sources comparisons a week ago (never changed it, and never will). It just works the best, as it should. I am working on a long-ass theory about where BGVP might have messed some units up, but not sure if i should even post it, since most people are annoyed by my posts anyway. Perhaps I can PM it to people that are curious when it's ready? I don't know...

I would have to respectfully disagree with that (I'm not talking about mono recordings of a single instrument here, I'm talking about stereo sound). Either I have a different understanding of what dynamics are, or we are simply talking about different things. The subtle sound ques (reverb, panning, high ques etc, especially if they are channel seperated) are the first to go away, or get extremely quiet (which to me is the same thing), comparative to the multiplied "body in the centre". I think it's logical. Think of an picture, that is mirrored and overlayed (like mono does). The strongest "overlapping colors" in the "center" get "amplified" ~2x times (comparatively), while the smallest of details/nuances (which is usually in the highest treble, even if it's present on both channels equally), get's "washed away" in a way.

That's the loss of dynamics I AM referring to. It is directly correlated to soundstage (and imaging of course) as well, not just by destroying it by making it mono, but also taking away the treble extension in a way. That's why crosstalk = bad, and takes those "dynamics" away, and why I've said that with the adapter, even on my axon 7, I feel there are less dynamics, because the amp is working harder > which leads to channel leakage (crosstalk) > which leads to "narrow-er" soundstage (and not as impressive imaging). Everything I've said here is completely "replica-table", so it's not a speculation, or mumbojumbo on my part.

The leakage introduced on the axon 7 mini is bigger than my axon 7, that's why I also said that the results from adding the adapter are better on my big Axon 7 (which now sounds better), than what it does with the mini. There are no crosstalk measurements for the axon 7 mini, only for the big axon 7, which is 95dB at 32ohms (more load = less dB = more crosstalk = loss of dynamics/soundstage/imaging). :) That's why I've been recommending the iBasso DX150 over ANYTHING else in that price range. It has crosstalk of 118db, on both it's single end and balanced, while other (even more expensive) DAPs like the Hiby R6 PRO, have 68dB on their single end, and 98db on balanced, WHICH IS... mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. Hope that clears everything.
According last few sentences Astel and kern norma with Crosstalk 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 130dB @ 1kHz, Balance is even better (another level). Perhaps it could be my next bigger buy in sound hobby.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #2,348 of 5,353
According last few sentences Astel and kern norma with Crosstalk 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 130dB @ 1kHz, Balance is even better (another level). Perhaps it could be my next bigger buy in sound hobby.

It's that one, right? In that case, yeah, that's an awesome device, and it's better than the iBasso. Still too expensive for somebody like me ($700 is almost two monthly wadges over here), but if I ever have the money, I would definitely buy it over anything else. Thank you for finding it. I REC it, based on it's specs. Forget the DX150. :)

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #2,349 of 5,353
It's that one, right? In that case, yeah, that's an awesome device, and it's better than the iBasso. Still too expensive for somebody like me ($700 is almost two monthly wadges over here), but if I ever have the money, I would definitely buy it over anything else. Thank you for finding it. I REC it, based on it's specs. Forget the DX150. :)
Yes this one. Agree it should be amazing according specification. So if not the price it also could be in the first rec positions for me. From new astel models it's the cheapest :) It's astel anyway. This hobby not so cheap for shure, so possibly not today but in future will buy this thing. Good device for bad guy audio reviews to make review ( as i know he haven't tried it yet)

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #2,350 of 5,353
FB4D78E3-103B-4FA0-8CF6-90DF697BC663.jpeg
6DAF3762-8B9A-43E4-B3EF-D4A6D85E3674.jpeg
So I’ve done a test over the last 7 days. I have two pairs of DM6 IEMs, both with about 300 hours on them. One pair has the MK2 Magaosi K5 3.5mm cable and the other the Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX.

With all this talk of the DM6 getting more treble with use I did this test. Both IEMs were using the Sony 1Z DAP and Sony Hybrid Tips. After a week of randomly choosing one IEM or the other I have sincerely confirmed the Magaosi single ended cable sounds like it has way too much treble providing thin highs. The Sony cable on the other hand has continued to provide a really balanced and warm “perfect” response day in and day out. It has stayed stable and provided the amazing DM6 sound which has thrilled me since the beginning. Unfortunately the cable is slightly expensive at $96.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-Muc-m12nb1-44mm-Balanced-Plug-12m-Replacement-Cable-for-XBA-Series/10005747985?iid=302664330374&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20170810093926&meid=485892cc55674439a6aa136311f5aabf&pid=100854&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=302664330374&_trksid=p2349526.c100854.m4779

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #2,351 of 5,353
So I’ve done a test over the last 7 days. I have two pairs of DM6 IEMs, both with about 300 hours on them. One pair has the MK2 Magaosi K5 3.5mm cable and the other the Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX.

With all this talk of the DM6 getting more treble with use I did this test. Both IEMs were using the Sony 1Z DAP and Sony Hybrid Tips. After a week of randomly choosing one IEM or the other I have sincerely confirmed the Magaosi single ended cable sounds like it has way too much treble providing thin highs. The Sony cable on the other hand has continued to provide a really balanced and warm “perfect” response day in and day out. It has stayed stable and provided the amazing DM6 sound which has thrilled me since the beginning. Unfortunately the cable is slightly expensive at $96.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-Muc-m12nb1-44mm-Balanced-Plug-12m-Replacement-Cable-for-XBA-Series/10005747985?iid=302664330374&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20170810093926&meid=485892cc55674439a6aa136311f5aabf&pid=100854&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=302664330374&_trksid=p2349526.c100854.m4779

Is it not more likely that the difference you hear is Balanced vs Single ended and not so much the makeup of the Sony cable ?

@mr.karmalicious now that you have ES100 and copper cables both of Balanced and single ended type maybe you can test this theory ? Does the 8khz peak vary substantially between the two ?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #2,352 of 5,353
Is it not more likely that the difference you hear is Balanced vs Single ended and not so much the makeup of the Sony cable ?

No it’s cable material. I have already done that test by hooking them up to two separate balanced cables. Same thing. One cable was bright and one cable warm, both 4.4mm balanced.

This was just a different test where the 3.5mm cable happened to be even brighter. Both IEMs were purchased at the same time. Both have green filters. Cables matter. You know that; at least here they make a difference.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #2,353 of 5,353
No it’s cable material. I have already done that test by hooking them up to two separate balanced cables. Same thing. One cable was bright and one cable warm, both 4.4mm balanced.

This was just a different test where the 3.5mm cable happened to be even brighter. Both IEMs were purchased at the same time. Both have green filters. Cables matter. You know that; at least here they make a difference.

That makes things clearer.
Surprisingly this Sony cable is Silver coated copper OFC. Not pure copper variant as we might have guessed at.
This is a replacement cable for Sony XBA’s - often bassy type ?? Wonder what magic they Injected into it.
Seems there are many factors that can easily affect the audio from the DM6.
We must also wonder how much of a role your Sony DAP is also contributing to the sound you hear with that wire.
Got a none Sony DAP to try out repeat test using same cable ?

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #2,354 of 5,353
That makes things clearer.
Surprisingly this Sony cable is Silver coated copper OFC. Not pure copper variant as we might have guessed at.
This is a replacement cable for Sony XBA’s - often bassy type ?? Wonder what magic they Injected into it.
Seems there are many factors that can easily affect the audio from the DM6.
We must also wonder how much of a role your Sony DAP is also contributing to the sound you hear with that wire.
Got a none Sony DAP to try out repeat test using same cable ?

Well since the DAP is the constant between the two cables and the IEMs are the same it’s maybe a wash. But as far as DAPs go the Sony does definitely have a treble spike. Though on other desktop amps the Magaosi K5 cable also tends to create a very bright treble with the DM6 IEMs. And......these are basicly laid-back desktops which never are bright.

And you have to realize my emotional backing to even posting all this. You and I have talked and you may remember I still need a pure copper cable to try out. But my motivation is I simply wonder why people give up the DM6 and sell them off complaining about treble.

Remember if a person is specifically not a cable believer they have no options as they don’t believe cables work, so they don’t even try.

I can sit back and enjoy my Sony cable and be happy. But when ever I read about treble issues, I always hope they try tips and a different cable.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #2,355 of 5,353
Well since the DAP is the constant between the two cables and the IEMs are the same it’s maybe a wash. But as far as DAPs go the Sony does definitely have a treble spike. Though on other desktop amps the Magaosi K5 cable also tends to create a very bright treble with the DM6 IEMs. And......these are basicly laid-back desktops which never are bright.

And you have to realize my emotional backing to even posting all this. You and I have talked and you may remember I still need a pure copper cable to try out. But my motivation is I simply wonder why people give up the DM6 and sell them off complaining about treble.

Remember if a person is specifically not a cable believer they have no options as they don’t believe cables work, so they don’t even try.

I can sit back and enjoy my Sony cable and be happy. But when ever I read about treble issues, I always hope they try tips and a different cable.
As you have two dm6 are they acting the same with the same cable and dap in treble area? As i want to understand if there was some differencies we can hear between different dm6 bgvp produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back