BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,386 of 5,353
If it varies, I wouldn't say substantially. I wish I had a measurement rig like HBB; I'd be doing all kinds of measurements!! I'll see about measuring the impedance of the three cables I have, at least.

Re: tips: does anybody have any tips (ha) to get my Kz stars to stick on a little better? The coefficient of friction between the nozzle and the left tip is just lower then that between my ear and the top, so it comes off too frequently :/. But they're my favorite tips by far, so..

The cloudy colored scotch tape / sellotape - wrap tightly around the stem of the IEM - trim so the end of the tape is flush to the end of the nozzle and it works perfectly - The more times you go round, the larger you make the stems! = Very easy to remove as well

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,387 of 5,353
I am so immersed laying in the dark on my bed listening to the first few hours (no burn-in) to my DM6, I am too immersed to put them off and take a proper picture :D
20190209-235143.jpg

Samsung S9+ qualcom chipset > stock cable > stock large tips.
I was searching for any sign of harshness, non-found :)
I am not a treble head either, my other headphones are the Elex, Ananda and the EQed -4dB around 6k KZ AS10
the DM6 sound like a neutral/brightish headphones definitely not harsh or sibilant to me. I may EQ their treble down a bit not because are sibilance but because they will be my protable headphones and I like my portables to be a bit dark sounding for easier listening and focusing on what I am doing e.g. driving or working.

This is an early impression only with zero burn in, they sound so good.
Thanks HBB ❤

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2,388 of 5,353
Cool that you love them too. Just trust me when I say the S9 with qualcom chipset is severely lacking in SQ. When I A/B'd against a known good DAP, it sounded extremely bass heavy, with bad soundstage, poor output quality all in all. I was so disappointing I ended up with an LG G7 which is the real deal when it comes to audiophile output. Just needed to get that off my chest, lol. I am a Samsung fanboy but they really dropped the ball after the S6 with Wolfson DAC (at least in North America).

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2,389 of 5,353
Hey I'd like someone else to try something with their DM6. Just try large vs small size tips, so the small ones insert a lot more deeply than the large ones. I'm just curious if anyone else has a SQ change?

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,392 of 5,353
can anyone recommend good Hi-Res music player for android?
I really love PowerAmp.

It would appear that the S9 has an internal impedance problem at 20ohms just like my Axon 7 - Muddy, bass-y mess, which explains some other people's experiences with that device. The LG G7 looks like an awesome device. (it's too expensive for a peasant like me though...)
Dude, get one for about $380 used in good condition. I never buy new phones anymore.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #2,394 of 5,353
Dude, get one for about $380 used in good condition. I never buy new phones anymore.

$380 is still too expensive to me.

I live in the country that is at the bottom of that list:

minzaplataewrostat.jpeg

I've never bought a new phone. I bought my Axon 7 for ~$200 bucks an year ago second hand, so that's that. LG phones are very expensive here on the second hand market. For that amount of money I would rather save some more and buy a good DAP, instead of a phone (My Axon 7 is awesome as a phone, I don't need anything better).

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2,396 of 5,353
Here you go Hawaiibadboy:

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-Ultra-Thin-Audio-Cable/dp/B00MQVQFCI

:D

I'd be super interested to know how it sounds in comparison with other cables actually, maybe a freq comparison with your rig. :)

I am starting to think that maybe it's actually the distance between the DM6 ear pipe and my ear drum. Some tips place the pipe really near my ear drum, and others further away. The engineer in me says the proximity effect should have a larger effect than some kind of odd resonance in the treble region. I feel like the ear canal diameter is too large to effect high frequencies in respect to resonant frequencies. If an average ear canal diameter is 2.5cm, the resonant frequency would be in the rage of 10Ghz to 12Ghz at full wavelength. At 1/4 wave length, 3.0Ghz

See what I mean, the resonant freq at 2.5CM is in the GIGAHERTS spectrum, not even close to hearing range.

isn't it the case that, order of magnitude, you have v = λf? if the speed of sound is about 343m/s, and the wavelength in question is about 2.5cm = .025m, the frequency you get is 13Khz.

am i missing something here?

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #2,397 of 5,353
Cool that you love them too. Just trust me when I say the S9 with qualcom chipset is severely lacking in SQ. When I A/B'd against a known good DAP, it sounded extremely bass heavy, with bad soundstage, poor output quality all in all. I was so disappointing I ended up with an LG G7 which is the real deal when it comes to audiophile output. Just needed to get that off my chest, lol. I am a Samsung fanboy but they really dropped the ball after the S6 with Wolfson DAC (at least in North America).

I can't stand carrying another device for my headphones, with my s9+ the bass is just right and the SS is good for an iem nothing special. I have the micro BL but i don't want to use it as a portable, even if they sounded better from it

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,398 of 5,353
I can't stand carrying another device for my headphones, with my s9+ the bass is just right and the SS is good for an iem nothing special. I have the micro BL but i don't want to use it as a portable, even if they sounded better from it
if you want an extremely cheap and definitely better than qualcomm solution, the Apple USB C DAC dongle is $9 shipped directly from apple. can't go wrong with that. (also, it's completely diminutive; i wouldn't even consider it "another device" so maybe it wouldn't bother you.)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #2,399 of 5,353
Sound signature (you liking the sound) has nothing to do with soundstage/imaging (crosstalk that I'm referring to). I'm sorry, but you can't have huge crosstalk (Hiby R6) and say that it sounds better than something that has very low crosstalk (DX150). It's not how physics work, and has nothing to do with "theories and simulations". What you speak of is probably signature. If I go strictly on signature, I would take the TinAudio T2 with the Axon 7 over the DM6 + Axon 7 mini ANY DAY. But that's not why the DM6 is so special.

And come on, bringing up the illustrator graphs? What does that have to with anything we are discussing here?

That is exactly what bothers me with you. You say things like it's the truth because somehow being super vocal on this thread seems to grant you super powers but most of what you say is pure BS. I don't know why I care so much about it but it frankly annoys me that you are misleading our fellow Head-fiers.
Crosstalk has nothing to do with imaging or soundstage, it's a useless value that nobody can discriminate above a certain point (some say anything above - 40db).
Please inform yourself and stop spreading BS all over this thread.
Reading material for you :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/questions-about-stereo-crosstalk.660870/

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #2,400 of 5,353
playing them for 3-4 hours non stop (no burn in) and I detect zero harshness, I am 25 yrs old and can hear up to 18.5khz and I consider my Elex to be super neutral/reference headphone and those DM6 are too damn close to them in terms of tonality.
I am starting to think their controversy is a QC issue, I don't think other possible variables are significant enough to make this big controversy

if you want an extremely cheap and definitely better than qualcomm solution, the Apple USB C DAC dongle is $9 shipped directly from apple. can't go wrong with that. (also, it's completely diminutive; i wouldn't even consider it "another device" so maybe it wouldn't bother you.)

Thanks for the suggestion, it is still bothersome for me to carry a dongle around + !@#$ Apple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back