BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Dec 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,351 of 1,864
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about that. The days when K/Q70x owners jump out of the bushes, ninja-like, to smite non-believers are long over. Funny how we Beyer owners never do that. For listening to such energetic-sounding headphones, we're pretty laid back. 
dt880smile.png

Also, I love seeing this thread pop up. I believe it contains my first ever post on Head-Fi:

That was also my first ever post on Head-fi.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,352 of 1,864
Dec 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,353 of 1,864
Quote:

O RLY? 
ph34r.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

You did buy a Q701 recently, didn't you? You're really in the lion's den now! (You'll have to let us know what you think of them...you know, in the other thread).

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,355 of 1,864
Quote:
Quote:

O RLY? 
ph34r.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

You did buy a Q701 recently, didn't you? You're really in the lion's den now! (You'll have to let us know what you think of them...you know, in the other thread).

I did, though I am purposefully not listening to them right now.  Saving them as a reward for when I finish my pending reviews.

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #1,356 of 1,864
I guess I never made a proper followup post now that I've found this thread again, so here goes. I'm still a happy DT880 owner after almost two and a half years. I've had some of the greatest listening experiences of my life with my DT880. Most people seem to have moved on from here (to the T1 or another Tesla product, or maybe some of the HiFiMAN orthos), and at some point in the future I may try one of those as well, but for now I'm happy.

Count me a continued member of Team Beyer.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,357 of 1,864
Hmm...

I suppose I'd better update where I am with Team Beyer...

I currently have:

DT880 250 (2005 flavour)
DT1350
DT250-80
DT250-250
T50P (original version)

...I think I prefer the Beyer house sound (if there is such a thing across the range that I have!!) - so, will probably despatch my HD800, and get a T1 instead :)

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,359 of 1,864
Hmm...

I suppose I'd better update where I am with Team Beyer...

I currently have:

DT880 250 (2005 flavour)
DT1350
DT250-80
DT250-250
T50P (original version)

...I think I prefer the Beyer house sound (if there is such a thing across the range that I have!!) - so, will probably despatch my HD800, and get a T1 instead :)

The T1 has the sonic clarity of the DT1350 and the neutrality PLUS comfy factor of the DT880.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,360 of 1,864
Quote:
I guess I never made a proper followup post now that I've found this thread again, so here goes. I'm still a happy DT880 owner after almost two and a half years. I've had some of the greatest listening experiences of my life with my DT880. Most people seem to have moved on from here (to the T1 or another Tesla product, or maybe some of the HiFiMAN orthos), and at some point in the future I may try one of those as well, but for now I'm happy.

Count me a continued member of Team Beyer.

I'm currently trying to decide which to keep: DT880 Pro or HE-500. At least with the orchestral/classical music I listen to, it's not such an easy decision as one might think, or as is implied in these threads. the DT880 is a formidable phone.

Incidentally, has anyone read this review: http://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-880.htm   I'm inclined to agree with it in principal, though I can't in detail as I haven't heard the HD800.  

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #1,361 of 1,864
Interesting. I'm looking at getting rid of my 880 Premium and take up the HE-400s. I uses the 770 Pros as my main set for the fun/bass. I liked the sound of my 880s for certain stuff, but didn't use them very much.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,362 of 1,864
Quote:

I'm currently trying to decide which to keep: DT880 Pro or HE-500. At least with the orchestral/classical music I listen to, it's not such an easy decision as one might think, or as is implied in these threads. the DT880 is a formidable phone.

Incidentally, has anyone read this review: http://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-880.htm   I'm inclined to agree with it in principal, though I can't in detail as I haven't heard the HD800.  

I'd never seen that before. I'm going to have to sit down and digest it. I'm not surprised, however, that somebody might come to that conclusion. Remember, the advent of ridiculously priced flagships only came about about four or five years ago (leaving out electostats and the odd esoteric design, like the K1000 or HE90). In its time, the DT880 was once one of the best three or four dynamic headphones in the world. You don't just shove that aside because somebody added a fourth figure to the price of the average flagship.

It's like a new generation of processors (in computer terms; forgive me): incremental improvements, problems fixed, and generally better performance, but sometimes regressions and often the pointed question: is it really that much better than what I had? Add the subjective aspect of sound, and it's not too unusual that somebody might come to the conclusion the author there did. The DT880 also, unlike so many headphones to follow it (including the Tesla ones made by Beyer themselves), doesn't have problems with ringing. It just has some spikes in the treble, which can be easily EQ'ed out.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,364 of 1,864
Quote:
What did you think of the comment that the sound is identical between the 3 impedances? This seems to fly in the face of much of what's written here.

I think the differences might be exaggerated, but there's solid science and measurements behind the idea that there is a difference.

Have you seen this article:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,365 of 1,864
I think there's a decent chance the reported differences between the different impedance models could be chalked up to manufacturing variances. I've had two seemingly identical DT770 Premium 600 ohms that sounded very different (in bass quantity and the sibilance of the highs, otherwise they were the same). Had they been different ohm models I most likely would have considered the differences to be caused by the different impedances.

Of the three (770, 880, 990) there seems to be less reports of variances amongst the 880s. It would make sense that Beyer would be particularly maticulous with the QA of the 880, saving the most consistent drivers for it, since it is geared toward sound engineers, balance, accuracy etc. moreso than the 770 or 990 which are pretty much just "fun" cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back