BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Nov 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,336 of 1,864
I have finally made my move to upgrade to the T1 from my DT880(600 ohms) and DT1350.

Amazon.com is currently selling the Beyerdynamic T1 flagship for only US$944 with free shipping in the US of A.

That is $450 off the normal price!!!!!

My DT880 will be passed to my dad who's always been eyeing those comfy velour ear pads. :p

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,337 of 1,864
Hey Beyer lovers. I have a question for you folks, and it's one not mainly out of subjectivity, but more out of analyzing the huge line up of cans that Beyer has to offer so I know which one would suit my needs best.

I've been scouring the threads searching for 'The One' headphone, but it's a foolish endeavour, and I've come to terms with that. Especially since there's so much to offer.

And that's what's got me so interested in the Tesla line up from Beyerdynamic. Other than the tesla drivers, the fact that there's so many, with different impedances to chose from, I'm frankyl overwhelmed.

I'm most interested in the DT1350, but reported comfort issues, as well as on ear are something that's stopping me. But the DT770/880/990 all seem to be pretty popular, and all the different loads and they all seem to offer something different for everyone. But I have NO IDEA WHICH ONE I SHOULD GO FOR.

Is there a chart, or comparison thread between the 770/880/990 - 32/80/250/600 - Pro/not? I feel like I'm missing something else. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,338 of 1,864
Quote:
Hey Beyer lovers. I have a question for you folks, and it's one not mainly out of subjectivity, but more out of analyzing the huge line up of cans that Beyer has to offer so I know which one would suit my needs best.

I've been scouring the threads searching for 'The One' headphone, but it's a foolish endeavour, and I've come to terms with that. Especially since there's so much to offer.

And that's what's got me so interested in the Tesla line up from Beyerdynamic. Other than the tesla drivers, the fact that there's so many, with different impedances to chose from, I'm frankyl overwhelmed.

I'm most interested in the DT1350, but reported comfort issues, as well as on ear are something that's stopping me. But the DT770/880/990 all seem to be pretty popular, and all the different loads and they all seem to offer something different for everyone. But I have NO IDEA WHICH ONE I SHOULD GO FOR.

Is there a chart, or comparison thread between the 770/880/990 - 32/80/250/600 - Pro/not? I feel like I'm missing something else. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

good luck =]

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #1,339 of 1,864
Quote:

770 - Closed back. As such, they have the most isolation of the three. Emphasized bass, emphasized treble, recessed mids. Surprisingly wide soundstage for a closed can. Manufacturing variances have been reported causing some 770s to have more bass than others.

990 - Open back. Emphasized bass and treble, mids not quite as recessed as the 770. Considered somewhat of a basshead can. Widest soundstage of the three.

880 - Semi-open back. The most balanced of the three. Emphasized highs. Least recessed mids of the three, relative to the bass. Wide soundstage, a tad wider than the 770 but a touch more narrow than the 990.

Pro models vs Premium models -- Identical aside from the appearance and the Pro models having a coiled cable. The only other difference is that the headband of the Pro models has slightly more clamping force resulting in slightly stronger bass impact.

Whether you should get the 32/80/250 or 600 ohm versions depends on what you are amping them with. None of these headphones perform to their full potential without amping. The higher the ohms the more powerful of an amp is required. What will you be using to amp them?

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #1,340 of 1,864
Quote:

Hey,
I'm listening to a Techno mix right now on my DT1350s. I'm in love. Only had them for a couple weeks, and I'm using them more than my HE400s now. IMO they are much more suited to EDM than any of the other Tesla cans - I owned the T70s for a while and they are very bass-light, and by all reports so are the T90 and most others.

Yes 1350 may be on-ear, but once you get the right seal/fit they are GLORIOUS. Bottomless bass. Sub... wow
Plus, they're probably THE best portable (non-IEM) headphone out there. Built like a tank, light, stylish and easily powered (sound great out of iPhone) - they also double as great DJ headphones too of course if you do that.

My workmate has the DT770s, and while they are comfy, and have good bass, they don't have the detail/definition of the newer drivers.
Even he commented that the DT1350s sounded way better than his DT770s or his PSB M4U2s, and that was only listening to 1-2 songs.

Hope that helps :) Obviously it would be ideal if you could audition them, but you could always sell them if they're really not that comfy. I'm getting used to them now and can wear them for longer each time it seems. Also, there are some larger diameter pads you can order from Beyer which are reportedly comfier and just as good for isolation/bass. There are some impressions in the DT1350 thread. I might get some to try them out.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,341 of 1,864
Quote:
Hey,
I'm listening to a Techno mix right now on my DT1350s. I'm in love. Only had them for a couple weeks, and I'm using them more than my HE400s now. IMO they are much more suited to EDM than any of the other Tesla cans - I owned the T70s for a while and they are very bass-light, and by all reports so are the T90 and most others.

Yes 1350 may be on-ear, but once you get the right seal/fit they are GLORIOUS. Bottomless bass. Sub... wow
Plus, they're probably THE best portable (non-IEM) headphone out there. Built like a tank, light, stylish and easily powered (sound great out of iPhone) - they also double as great DJ headphones too of course if you do that.

My workmate has the DT770s, and while they are comfy, and have good bass, they don't have the detail/definition of the newer drivers.
Even he commented that the DT1350s sounded way better than his DT770s or his PSB M4U2s, and that was only listening to 1-2 songs.

Hope that helps :) Obviously it would be ideal if you could audition them, but you could always sell them if they're really not that comfy. I'm getting used to them now and can wear them for longer each time it seems. Also, there are some larger diameter pads you can order from Beyer which are reportedly comfier and just as good for isolation/bass. There are some impressions in the DT1350 thread. I might get some to try them out.

UGH..... This just makes me want them more. That bottomless bass is just SO enticing. 

I've been following the DT1350 thread and the pad mods, so I'm aware of that, I'm just not sure if I want this or MadDogs, first. 

Sometimes I hate head-fi

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,342 of 1,864

the dt 990 - 600 ohms where great headphones.  and a good balance in terms of sound when it comes to beyer headphones. the 600 ohm is always the most refined and should be your top pick if you have the amp or can afford the amp needed for them.

i love the beyer line because theres improvements as you go up

when i started with the 770 pro, it was like ok awesome bass, really strong, but way too bright and a little too recessed for my likings. the extra bass was a little on the bloaty side and wasn't worth  having the sharp treble/mids.

when i jumped up to the 990s, it was a good tradeoff, losing some of the bass, but having much more controlled treble and mids that weren't too recessed or veiled. still the sound was grainy and lacked refinement.

and then the final jump to the t1, it was amazing.

the bass was just right, deep and extended, slightly less in impact to the 990, but still good, the mids where just as great with much more transparency and detail. and the treble was brought further under control. also any harsh grain was gone, and in its place was a slightly warm tonality that made everything sound much more organic and natural than the normal beyers i used to hear.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #1,343 of 1,864
Alternative pleather pads for Beyercanners.....

(There are too many beyer threads, n i am not sure if this is reported yet..so i decided to post it here just for added resources ...here goes.)

I saw my spare HM5 pleatherpads lying around, n wahlaaa...it fits my DT770 cans..!!
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc
u can get them here,,,but the price is for ONE piece...so u must buy TWO...but of cos..zzz

The fit is just slightly tight...give it a pull n it should get in. 
These sit lower than the Jmoneypads i have.. its NOT leather...its PLEATHER.
I shant comment on the sound effect, ( cos i have a modded dt770 blablabla.... but i do like it on my can.
ok generally it focused the bass a notch.

These are VERY comfy. n it wont absorb your sweat....they will just drip off....n u can soap it...lol

=====================================================

another alternative : AD2000 pads

i finally slapped on these ad2000 soft velor pads for comfort....n took out the inner lining foam for higher clarity.
Stuffed a strip of foam under the pads on half the circumference of the cups to angle the drivers alittle.

ermmm....n now some thin pantyhose for the finishing touch. :p

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,344 of 1,864
Just stepped in a hifi-shop this weekend and got myself an (unplanned) early Christmas present.

My current DT880 - 600 will be replaced by T90, which are a logical step (and also a reasonably priced one) for me at this moment.
I'm sure that I will enjoy those new cans a lot, after spending nearly 3 hours in the shop comparing different phones to my current ones.
These are the things that happen, if you accompany a friend who's looking for some new gear 
rolleyes.gif

Let's see what is in it for me in 2013 around this time of the year 
beyersmile.png

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,345 of 1,864
the dt 990 - 600 ohms where great headphones.  and a good balance in terms of sound when it comes to beyer headphones. the 600 ohm is always the most refined and should be your top pick if you have the amp or can afford the amp needed for them.

i love the beyer line because theres improvements as you go up

when i started with the 770 pro, it was like ok awesome bass, really strong, but way too bright and a little too recessed for my likings. the extra bass was a little on the bloaty side and wasn't worth  having the sharp treble/mids.

when i jumped up to the 990s, it was a good tradeoff, losing some of the bass, but having much more controlled treble and mids that weren't too recessed or veiled. still the sound was grainy and lacked refinement.

and then the final jump to the t1, it was amazing.

the bass was just right, deep and extended, slightly less in impact to the 990, but still good, the mids where just as great with much more transparency and detail. and the treble was brought further under control. also any harsh grain was gone, and in its place was a slightly warm tonality that made everything sound much more organic and natural than the normal beyers i used to hear.

I made my upgrade to the T1 from the DT880 - 600 Ohms.

Most noticeable difference is the great improvement in transparency and less sonic veil. Everything sounds very natural w.r.t. tonal accuracy. Musical notes also seem to hang in the air much longer with more natural decay into silence.

I'm very impressed by the new Tesla technology and believe that the increase in $$$ is very much worth it. :)

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,347 of 1,864
Quote:
I am a Beyer dude. DT880 32 Ohms. Yes that's right, 32 Ohms. I love it. Even more than AKG Q701s. Oh no, was I not supposed to say that? 
dt880smile.png

I wouldn't worry about that. The days when K/Q70x owners jump out of the bushes, ninja-like, to smite non-believers are long over. Funny how we Beyer owners never do that. For listening to such energetic-sounding headphones, we're pretty laid back. 
dt880smile.png

Also, I love seeing this thread pop up. I believe it contains my first ever post on Head-Fi:

Thought I would bump this ongoing thread. I'm the newest member of Team Beyer with the '05 DT880/250 I received two weeks ago. So far I'm loving them, and I plan on posting a detailed review (along with some reviews of other cans I've tried along the way). They're the winner after almost half a year of searching; I went through an M50 and an SR225i before I arrived here in Beyerland. The sights are nice, and the people are friendly. I think I'll take up residence here, though I may occasionally vacation elsewhere.

Go Team Beyer!

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,348 of 1,864
I wouldn't worry about that. The days when K/Q70x owners jump out of the bushes, ninja-like, to smite non-believers are long over. Funny how we Beyer owners never do that. For listening to such energetic-sounding headphones, we're pretty laid back. :dt880smile:

Also, I love seeing this thread pop up. I believe it contains my first ever post on Head-Fi:

I just love my mmx300..ultrapassing all other phones for gaming :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,350 of 1,864
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about that. The days when K/Q70x owners jump out of the bushes, ninja-like, to smite non-believers are long over.

O RLY? 
ph34r.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back