BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,621 of 1,864
I've recently joined the Beyerdynamic club with some DT990 Manufaktur 600ohm, all black recabled with silver cable. Got them in a trade for my Ciem.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,623 of 1,864
I have the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm, after owning two pairs of the velour pads I can't stand them as they go flat fast. Does anyone know if either of these pads will fit on the 990?

http://www.marvgolden.com/beyerdynamic-leather-ear-seals-for-hs-800-digital-headsets.html

http://www.marvgolden.com/beyerdynamic-leatherette-ear-seals-for-hs-400-and-hs-600-headsets.html

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,624 of 1,864

How is the sound?

Totally different to the 531's in their native enclosures.
And Amazing!
Im off to bed now so Ill write something in more detail tomorrow...

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #1,625 of 1,864
I've recently joined the Beyerdynamic club with some DT990 Manufaktur 600ohm, all black recabled with silver cable. Got them in a trade for my Ciem.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the origin of the silver cable......pure silver, silver plated copper?  I have the DT900 Manufaktur 600 ohm as well, and I really like them a lot with my tube amp and upstream gears!

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,626 of 1,864
Pretty sure its pure silver, this is where the original owner got them recabled (the ones on the website are the ones I have):

http://headfonics.com/2011/08/ampcity-launches-the-uk%E2%80%99s-first-headphone-recabling-service/

Also I'm using mine out of an iTube+iCan combo, excellent.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,627 of 1,864
I only have one pair of Beyerdynamic's (Custom One Pros).  These are the best headphones in my collection.  I am looking to add another set to my collection.  Among other brands, I am looking at the DT880/DT990 and even the T90.  The COPs are so much fun to listen to and are great with a wide variety of music.  I am looking to add that next bit of refinement without having too much of a lean sound.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,628 of 1,864
Hey guys I'm going to picking up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm and a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s pretty soon and was wondering what amp would make them sound the very best? My DAC is going to be the Asus Xonar Essence STX. I had almost decided on the Schiit Valhalla but I figured I could get some more input before I make my final decision. Thanks in advance.

I recently got a pair of 600 ohm DT990s and found them to match well with my WA6.

I really don't hear all the brightness that everyone seems to dislike. The only time I've found them harsh was with mainstream pop/rock recordings that are mastered with car stereos and cheap earbuds in mind. Luckily I don't have much of those recordings in my collection. I'm also enjoying the slightly recessed mids. They make for a very relaxing listening experience even with more aggressive music.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,631 of 1,864
  After a sting of Sennheisers, I picked up some dt990 pro 250ohm. Did a recable and tiny xlr mod. Then modded to a headset.

Stumbled across a refurbished MMX300 on ebay and won them for £72. Sold the 990 and now on the look for some 880 to try:)

Holy ****. Can you post some instructions? I've been thinking about doing this to my DT770s for a while. I may just do the recable though and get that CPO headset cable. Thoughts?

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #1,632 of 1,864

Holy ****. Can you post some instructions? I've been thinking about doing this to my DT770s for a while. I may just do the recable though and get that CPO headset cable. Thoughts?**

**Warning** Beyer drivers are very very VERY fragile. The way the coil wire goes directly to the terminals is very delicate. Use just enough heat to remove the old cable, a good solder sucker or just cut the old wire very short and leave it.

Tried the custom on cable style on some other headphones of mine and while it works, the mic rotates in the socket as you move your head, hence the tiny xlr this time around.

**Instructions**
Dissemble the cup with the cable in, this is very easy, many photo guides around. Cushion pulls off, driver pops out with a blade or similar.

Remove the old cable. Mine had the other ear cup connection just soldered together and floating around in the cup.

Remove strain relief and your left with a rectangle hole.

Enlarge that hole for your chosen jack. I used a neutrik tiny xlr 3 pin. I enlarged the hole with a step drillbit.

I also had to remove a bit more of the shell so the jack would sit flush and the driver would go back in nice.

Once you are happy with the fit, glue using your weapon of choice, I used sugru.

The mic was just a 99p one from ebay, I wrapped 2 pieces of stiff wire around it and then used heatshrink on it.

I then cut a channel in the male xlr plug for the mic to sit, then sugru and shrunk it.

Terminate however you need.

Tempted to try a cop cable and fabricate some form of stop with a neodym magnet.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #1,633 of 1,864
After a sting of Sennheisers, I picked up some dt990 pro 250ohm. Did a recable and tiny xlr mod. Then modded to a headset.

Stumbled across a refurbished MMX300 on ebay and won them for £72. Sold the 990 and now on the look for some 880 to try:)

You lucky son of a...after currency conversion, that's just shy of US$100, and you didn't even have to fix a crudely-spliced replacement headphone plug on your set!

How does the mic compare to the one you tacked onto your DT990, out of curiosity? The MMX 300's mic certainly doesn't suck, but I want to know if it's good enough to warrant not just headset-modding more affordable headphones should the MMX 300 fall to reasonable used prices.

Anyway, as some of you know and the rest of you can guess, this MMX 300 marks my introduction to Beyerdynamic in general. So far, it's not bad at all...but I wouldn't pay full price, and I certainly wouldn't call it the best headphone ever. Midrange needs improvement, which would mean I'd probably find a similar deficiency in the DT770 lineup in general.

Now if I could just get my hands on an ET-1000 system...and a Headzone, for that matter...

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #1,634 of 1,864

You lucky son of a...after currency conversion, that's just shy of US$100, and you didn't even have to fix a crudely-spliced replacement headphone plug on your set!

How does the mic compare to the one you tacked onto your DT990, out of curiosity? The MMX 300's mic certainly doesn't suck, but I want to know if it's good enough to warrant not just headset-modding more affordable headphones should the MMX 300 fall to reasonable used prices.

Anyway, as some of you know and the rest of you can guess, this MMX 300 marks my introduction to Beyerdynamic in general. So far, it's not bad at all...but I wouldn't pay full price, and I certainly wouldn't call it the best headphone ever. Midrange needs improvement, which would mean I'd probably find a similar deficiency in the DT770 lineup in general.

Now if I could just get my hands on an ET-1000 system...and a Headzone, for that matter...

Well for its uses I had no complaints. The dual Cardoid on the MMX is a bit clearer, but the one On the dt 990 was as good as any headset ive used before.

Regarding the sound, I was expecting some bass beast after reading all the dt 770 reviews, but was pleasantly surprised how neutral it is.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #1,635 of 1,864
Hi everyone,

I have a set of DT770/250's, and I really like them. I have two questions:

1) Lately I have been noticing some noise when I move the cable attached to the left headphone. Is this a common thing?

2) Based upon the noise, I have begun to wonder if there is a nice cable mod for these cans (whether DIY or otherwise).

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back