BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jan 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #872 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont really need to say anything do I?
biggrin.gif

I own about 1000 bucks worth of vinyl from that guy in your picture, his music is addictive through 650s, oops, DT990s, best stuff ever, analord 10, drukqs, sick...

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #876 of 1,864
Unfortunately, the DT831 is different than the DT880. The pad is held on by a white plastic ring that is pretty well attached. I could pry it off, but I'm afraid of breaking something.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #877 of 1,864
So I've had my DT770s for a few days now and I am very pleased with my purchase. I was coming from a set of Sennheiser 590s and wasn't sure how I would like closed cans but these are very comfortable. The 770s sound so much clearer too. I don't find them bass heavy at all.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #878 of 1,864
beyersmile.png

DT331's here. Soon to be replaced because they're old & starting to fall apart from hard use. Which model should I get next? I like open constructions, and the signature of the DT331 is neat. Looking at DT880 or DT990

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #879 of 1,864
And another one joins the Beyer club...

I was thinking of getting another set of cans lately (yes, the Head-Fi Wallet Curse is setting in!), and was thinking, do I "upGrado" or try something different?

Well, given that I still love my SR60s, why not check out what else is out there? A brand-new set of DT 770 Pro/80s followed me home, helped along by a 10% off coupon. I plugged them into my E-MU 0404 USB and queued up a 24-bit/48 kHz binaural recording of a pipe organ concert that I recently made.

OMG. Jaw-dropping bass, indeed! Perfectly controlled, not boomy at all, BOTH quantity and quality! I then fired up Stravinsky's Firebird, and was astounded at the slam when it reached the Dance of King Kashchei.

At the very beginning, the mids seemed a bit recessed, but it didn't take long for that to go away. Midrange and treble are just right - and vocals are just beautiful. Back to that binaural recording, the Beyers bring out a lot more of the venue's acoustics, it seems to me. There's definitely more headstage with the Beyers than with the Grados.

I just finished listening to a 24/48 orchestral recording of mine... and it's stunning. Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphoses just... well... rocks with these cans.

I now have Linda Ronstadt's 'Round Midnight on. Just... wow.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #882 of 1,864
I would like to add here

I have traded up my 770M for a pair of 770 250's. Yes yes 80's are better, but, I dont care. I love these fricken things. They are pretty damn sexy, and they are coming straight from my computer, unamped. And Im still sitting here going WOW. I cant wait for my Arietta. I can imagine things will be noticibly better!

To Debaster.

The general thoughts here are DT770/80's, DT770's/2005 Edition, DT770/250, DT770M... I THINK. I think I got that right. As I said above, my 250's unamped sound great, so 80's should be no problem, and my DT770M(80Ohm) ran just fine unamped, but still didnt sound as good as Pro versions.

So I think, either or. If she is an 80 ohmer its good, but even so, 250's are ok.

Once again, not SURE on the 2005's, but the rest of the 770's are 1/8 with an screw on 1/4 connector.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #884 of 1,864
Yeah its a 3M cable I think, when I took them out and about I had to wrap 3/4 of it up and tie it together. It is rather long.

The 250's have a curly cable, but then these wouldnt be too good for portability less you wanted to carry around a portable amp as well, and even then, it might just be easier to grab the 80's and tape the cord into a figure eight or something.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #885 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And another one joins the Beyer club...

I was thinking of getting another set of cans lately (yes, the Head-Fi Wallet Curse is setting in!), and was thinking, do I "upGrado" or try something different?

Well, given that I still love my SR60s, why not check out what else is out there? A brand-new set of DT 770 Pro/80s followed me home, helped along by a 10% off coupon. I plugged them into my E-MU 0404 USB and queued up a 24-bit/48 kHz binaural recording of a pipe organ concert that I recently made.

OMG. Jaw-dropping bass, indeed! Perfectly controlled, not boomy at all, BOTH quantity and quality! I then fired up Stravinsky's Firebird, and was astounded at the slam when it reached the Dance of King Kashchei.

At the very beginning, the mids seemed a bit recessed, but it didn't take long for that to go away. Midrange and treble are just right - and vocals are just beautiful. Back to that binaural recording, the Beyers bring out a lot more of the venue's acoustics, it seems to me. There's definitely more headstage with the Beyers than with the Grados.

I just finished listening to a 24/48 orchestral recording of mine... and it's stunning. Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphoses just... well... rocks with these cans.

I now have Linda Ronstadt's 'Round Midnight on. Just... wow.

The DT-770s are indeed great cans. It's unfortunate they've lost their "flavor of the month" status around here though.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back