BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Feb 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #901 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the undeserved lack of respect fot the Beyers, comes from the utilitarian grey metal look.

Oh i do love the look of them! +1 reason of my reasons for getting them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #903 of 1,864
I'm thinking about ordering some new pads for my 990s. I've had these for over a year now and I still love them, but I'm intrigued about the difference new pads can do and I'm especially interested in the gel pads. Are the leather and gel pads universally regarded as a bad idea for the 990s or does someone like the combo?

I'm going to order 770 2005 edition headphones later so if the leather/gel pads are rubbish for the 990s I might calm myself down and wait to order them until I can afford the 770s.

EDIT: lol I realized that I have some spare Akg 701 pads lying around so I tried them out with the 990s and the results are very positive! There's a lot more bass and since the drivers are now angled the soundstage sort of reminds me of the 701s, except of course with heavy hitting bass. Now I have to actually attach the pads to the headphones somehow because right now they're only being held together by the clamping force of the headphones to my head.

EDIT2: Well here are some pictures of the abomination! I really don't expect that crappy tape to last very long, but I just want something to hold it until the morning because right now this is making me stay up way longer than I should.
p2050006xn3.jpg

p2050007wd3.jpg

p2050008lu2.jpg

EDIT3: Ok last one before I go to sleep. I have listened some more now and this is seriously really good. The best way I can describe the sound is like an open DT 770 Pro with AKG 701 soundstage. Like the 701s you get the sensation that the band is playing in front of you and since there's more bass (especially the deep bass seems to have come alive) than with the normal 990 pads it sort of reminds me of when I tried the 770 Pros in a store. The mids don't seem to be too badly affected and the treble has been lowered a bit, so it's pretty much exactly like I remember the 770s, except with more details in the bass and treble. It's VERY fun to listen to music right now!

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #904 of 1,864
It's a new day and pretty much the only thing I've done today is listen to the 990s. The latest breakthrough in my process of messing about is that I tried listening without any pads and frankly it gives by far the best sound so far. The soundstage is just massive now and especially the mids have come forward. The treble can be a bit too much with the 990s as we all know, but that aspect of the phones seems to have disappeared completely now. The bass impact has been reduced a bit, but overall there's much more detail and airiness to the sound.

I never realized that the pads make such a huge difference on the sound.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #905 of 1,864
i'm using the DT831. it works well to my ears. but sometimes the high freq is so disturbing. how can i reduce the high? i use no amp right now..

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #906 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by kosslover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using the DT831. it works well to my ears. but sometimes the high freq is so disturbing. how can i reduce the high? i use no amp right now..

Graphic equalizer? No amp, but what ARE you listening thru?

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #907 of 1,864
i'm using a sony vaio notebook with foobar.
i've tried the EQ, but it doesnt help. if i use the 120ohm impedance adapter, would it makes any change for my DT?

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #909 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids don't seem to be too badly affected and the treble has been lowered a bit, so it's pretty much exactly like I remember the 770s, except with more details in the bass and treble. It's VERY fun to listen to music right now!

You mean it's more recessed?

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #910 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by kosslover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using a sony vaio notebook with foobar.
i've tried the EQ, but it doesnt help. if i use the 120ohm impedance adapter, would it makes any change for my DT?

They might be a bit too much for your Vaio as well. Any amp, even a portable, should improve the bass some. I've never really tried mine without an amp. They sound great out of my vintage NAD 3155

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #911 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean it's more recessed?

Yeah slightly more recessed. It sounded basically exactly as I remember the 770s sounded like. I think it was the 770 Pro 250 I listened to in a store with my own music I had with me with the Heed Canamp.

BTW I switched back to the normal pads because while it was fun to have music that's poorly mixed sound great I missed the detail in a lot of songs. Also having no pads was fun until my ears started aching. Right now I have moved back to listening with my DT 150s which I like even more than the 990s no matter how they're configured. The sound balance is just ideal for me with the 150s because they sound great no matter what music I'm listening to and no matter how the music was mixed. I'm still going to order leather and gel pads for the 990s though because it's fun to have options on how everything should sound and the 990s are superior in some ways over the 150s because they're open.

I'm pretty heavily into the Beyer camp because I'm planning on buying the 770s, 880s (I have listened to both in store and I like them a lot!) and if it wasn't for the fact that the Meier Symphony kicked so much ass I would be buying the Beyer amp in the future.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #912 of 1,864
so i need an amp for my DT831...>.<
if i use the FiiO E3, is it good or very bad choice?

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #913 of 1,864
I've never heard the E3 so I don't know if it drives 250 ohm headphones or not. I've only read a little bit about it. Is it battery powered only? If so, you're better off getting something that you can get a wall wart for. Even if a battery powered amp can drive a higher impedance headphone acceptably, it will eat batteries in a hurry. You'll be better off being able to use it off of household power when you don't need it as a portable and save the battery for when you do.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #914 of 1,864
I have continued trying out the 990s with every kind of pad I could find in my house, so I've tried Sennheiser 465, 595 and 280 Pro pads with them and they all make them sound completely different from each other. The 465 pads sound best, but provide the worst comfort while the 280 Pro pads sound pretty terrible with boomy bass and generally just strange sound. If anyone thinks that pads only do a small difference for the sound like I did before this you're sorely mistaken! The difference is just dramatic between all of these and none of them sound anything like the original pads. In a blind test you could probably think that you're listening to 5 different headphones when you're only hearing the difference the pads make.

By far the best sound still comes from not having any pads at all but that only works for around 10 minutes before the comfort becomes intolerable. I'm SO going to order both leather and gel pads now because now I know that they will both sound very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back