Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #421 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys....need help...

after 2-3 years of almost daily usage.... its time to clean my cans...

problem is HOW???

i need to clean the velour pads...theyre no longer silver/grey...theyre more like light brown now... i guess all the oil from my face must have stuck to the pads...

same thing with the headband. the leather needs cleaning... guessing the oil from my hair (used to have long hair til recently) got stuck on the headband...

im very sure it needs a thorough washing. how do i do that?? dry cleaning? washing machine??? etc etc..???

same thing with the leather headband...how? especially since u cant take it off....
frown.gif

It can all be washed, but if I were you I'd just get new ones.

In fact, that's what I've done multiple times over the past years for both my 770 and 880s :p Both the ear pads and the headband can come off, the former slightly more easily than the latter but it can be done. Through the middle of the head band is a ridge that sort-of 'clicks' from one side into the other. Once you get that started open underneath the aluminium things of which the use has not been made clear to me, the rest is easy.

Alternatively, I've modded my now-broken DT880-2005* to 'accept' a PRO headband. The modification is to simply remove the stupid aluminium things of which the use has not been made clear to me, and then slap on the PRO head band as you would normally. The end result is nearly identical (the non-pro's headband is very slightly shorter than the pro's headband, though I used a DT770 headband because I had it handy but I believe they're identical) to having a pro version.

*) Broke a driver, nothing to do with headbands or pads. Bought the PRO version immediately after because I like replaceable parts.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #422 of 564
Hi,

I recently purchased a used pair of dt990 2005 edtition, and I'm waiting for them to arrive in the post. I wanted to order fresh earpads, and the cheapest I could find them in UK was from Amazon (£21.44). I am a little concerned though, the picture of the headphone used in their listing is the old dt990pro. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether these are compatible with the dt990 2005 edition versions a am due to receive.

Here is a link of the item:
Beyerdynamic Ear Cushions Pair For DT990 And 990 PRO: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Also I noticed on the post above someone mentioned you can take off the headband, just wanted to know if you can put it back to its original position afterwards?

Last but not least, has anyone tried the dt990 250ohm (2005 edition) with a darkvoice 332? is it a good match?

Thanks

May 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #424 of 564
a noticeable improvement, yes. 
especially in the bass department, with the dt990.

actually, the whole "they'll sound terrible with an ipod" thing is way overplayed here.
actually, they ain't half bad at all from an ipod, to my ears.
mind you, i have to turn the volume to 100%, and the bass is less than i'd like. 
but, the detail is there, as is the soundstage, surprisingly.

May 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #425 of 564

Quote:
Hi,

I recently purchased a used pair of dt990 2005 edtition, and I'm waiting for them to arrive in the post. I wanted to order fresh earpads, and the cheapest I could find them in UK was from Amazon (£21.44). I am a little concerned though, the picture of the headphone used in their listing is the old dt990pro. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether these are compatible with the dt990 2005 edition versions a am due to receive.

Here is a link of the item:
Beyerdynamic Ear Cushions Pair For DT990 And 990 PRO: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Also I noticed on the post above someone mentioned you can take off the headband, just wanted to know if you can put it back to its original position afterwards?

Last but not least, has anyone tried the dt990 250ohm (2005 edition) with a darkvoice 332? is it a good match?

Thanks

i believe the removable headband you refer to is on the pro models.  it has buttons and snaps into place.

regarding the ear pads, they will work.

enjoy the dt990s!!

May 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #426 of 564

They sound more open with amplification, and the bass gets stronger and deeper, and especially and obviously, you get more volume. I don't recommend that you listen they unamped, unless that you like listening to very low/quiet volumes...

Quote:
I just got my new 600 ohm beyers, and I don't think it sounds bad at all unamped. Then again, I haven't heard them amped. Should I expect a noticeable improvement?

Agreed. they need a decent/stronger desktop amp to sound very good from an ipod...
Quote:
a noticeable improvement, yes. 
especially in the bass department, with the dt990.

actually, the whole "they'll sound terrible with an ipod" thing is way overplayed here.
actually, they ain't half bad at all from an ipod, to my ears.
mind you, i have to turn the volume to 100%, and the bass is less than i'd like. 
but, the detail is there, as is the soundstage, surprisingly.

May 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #427 of 564
I have owned my 600ohm DT990 for a month and it really is amazing. It sounds better amped no question, straight from my ipod still sounds good, but when I amp it it sounds AMAZING, so that's the difference :) This DT990 is better than any other headphone I have owned (and by a large margin) and I've owned a few (Ultrasone, Sennheiser, UE, Koss etc).

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #428 of 564
Has anyone figured out the use of the metal tabs on the headband?  They seem to be strain-relief of some sort if the headband gets over-bent.  

I also say that they can be driven to sounding almost the same as with a desktop amp with an iPod, though with very slightly less bass.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #429 of 564
Review of the 990~600 done by AVGUIDE

http://www.avguide.com/review/beyerdynamic-dt-990-edition-600-ohm-audiophile-version-headphone-playback-34?src=Playback

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #431 of 564
Oct 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #433 of 564
Quote:
Is the 2005 the latest version? Isn't it time for a new model? :p

I sure hope not. I just pulled the trigger on a 990~600 pair, and I'm negotiating on a used Woo 3+ to drive them (thanks guys -- I started shopping at a much lower price point 
wink.gif
). I'd hate to drop some change just to have the new "latest and greatest" appear 5 minutes later...

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #434 of 564
You know what I've noticed over the past few months?  The DT990/250 05 Edition is the only headphone that I use where I can be listening to Deadmau5 or DJ Tiesto, and then switch directly over the something like the the Carpenters and then to ACDC or Led Zeppelin, and it all sounds fantastic.  Usually, there are weak points for certain cans.

By the way, did the sibilance go away on anyone elses DT990/250 2005's? Mine did.  I still hear some shrill in the highs on crappy quality MP3's, but with FLAC files, and even just a Total Bithead, that shrill factor totally disappears.  Its great!  I have like.. 200 hours on the headphones.

I can't wait to hear what these headphone sound like with a Meier StageDAC and Concerto combination!

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #435 of 564
About to pull the trigger on a set of 990s. Question is, if wishing to pair it with an Essence STX card, do I get the 250 or 600 ohm version? Has anyone who has used the pro version strongly recommend them over the standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back