Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #391 of 564
Love my 990's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #392 of 564
I really like my 990s as well. For a while I thought about upgrading to some other headphones, but nowdays I don't see any reason to. They sound just great with all the music I listen to and with proper placement (I had them too far up on my head before) they're really comfortable. For listening at home the only other headphones that sort of interest me now are the 880s, mostly because they're semi-open which would tame the sound of the computer fans a bit for quiet music with lots of silent passages.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #393 of 564
Yes, i use ethyl alcohol to clean the headpad, and a little the earpads...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

i take it u use the alcohol on the headband?

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #395 of 564
i'm curious about something. the pro version of the DT990 have a small circular cutout in the middle of the earcup while the surrounding circumference is encased by a plastic ring. basically, the only open part of the DT990 Pros is the punched out 1 inch hole in the middle. i'm wondering if the '05 DT990 have the same design or if they're totally open (ie. the entire area covered by the grills). if this is the case, then surely the bass will be less prominent and the soundstage large/airier on the '05 DT990 than on the Pro. if this is the case, i might try my hand at the new version as it would be a more open version of the old Pros.

can anyone confirm these differences?

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #396 of 564
Can someone point me to a pic of the 'new' dt990's that you are talking about?. Amazon.co.uk only seem to sell the DT990 pro - this isnt the same model?

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #397 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone point me to a pic of the 'new' dt990's that you are talking about?. Amazon.co.uk only seem to sell the DT990 pro - this isnt the same model?

Nonono, the 2005 version is better, in fact is near 60-90$ more expensive. Here you can see a nice article explaning it.

And here you have a nice pics of one of the prettiest cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #398 of 564
i got 250 ohm version, still getting used to them, part of 4 sets. the best thing so far ive heard is pearl jam, Go, on vinyl, the grrroooowwwwlll of the bass and guitars.
Also on the love album there is a great version of eleanor rigby where pauls vouice is seriously completely three dimensional.
All on good quality phono.
I will keep my DT990s for sure, they are my first choice for tracking drums and guitars at my mates house as we make up our band

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #399 of 564
Agreed! hehe...
Quote:

Originally Posted by fameh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And here you have a nice pics of one of the prettiest cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that you maintain/hold your word to the long term (Not as many....), i will see...
Enjoy your new headphones
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I will keep my DT990s for sure, they are my first choice for tracking drums and guitars at my mates house as we make up our band

I thought that you already known that.... But well, yes they are completelly open!.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....i'm wondering if the '05 DT990 have the same design or if they're totally open (ie. the entire area covered by the grills). if this is the case, then surely the bass will be less prominent and the soundstage large/airier on the '05 DT990 than on the Pro. if this is the case, i might try my hand at the new version as it would be a more open version of the old Pros.

can anyone confirm these differences?

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #403 of 564
Jan 31, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #405 of 564
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that you already known that.... But well, yes they are completelly open!.

thanks wila. i read up on this last year so i had forgotten. the DT990s are my favourite headphone right now. my tastes have evolved, my gear has improved, and the DT990 pro sound the best to me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back