Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #529 of 564
  That seems very nice. from what headphone is the shell/cup?
Thanks

Stock beyer 990 with custom grill, sanded the original cups and then repainted them. The paint looks 10x better in person. I really need to try and capture how good it looks. It kind of looks like brushed metal. 

The best I could get to show the color.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #531 of 564
  Looks nice and you can see the cable detail as well with the new pict.

Any difference in sound-stage/"openness" with removal of the shell material?

Thanks.

The treble is a little less. Other then that pretty much the same. I just wanted to update the looks of them mostly. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #532 of 564
I think this question should have been asked before, but I'm quite busy to do a search by myself, so please don't be offended if I ask again: will the sound of the DT990 pro dramatically improve if I replace the used,shrunken pads with a brand new pair? And how long does it usually take for the pads to go flat? I've just bought a used DT990 and the pads look quite worn out; when I put it on my ears touch the inner foam pads.
One more thing, what dac/amp should be enough for this headphone (250 Ohms)? What I mean by "enough" is that the dac/amp will power the DT990 fine and just that, 'cause I'm probably not gonna upgrade my headphone anytime soon. A guy at my place is offering a Govibe Sharp at a really attractive price. If I buy this amp, would it be like, overkill? That guy also has a Xmos PCM5102 dac/amp and a DIY Project Sunrise. Which one of them would be the best for DT990?
Again, I'm terribly sorry for asking so many questions, but I got so little spare time and even less money so please bear with me
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #533 of 564
FWIW I am using a project Sunrise (Version II) and I feel they mate PERFECTLY with my DT990 250ohm cans. One of my favorite combinations of all time.- my number one go to listening and what I keep in my Home theater and use daily. Can't answer about the pads though sorry.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #534 of 564
I just got my premium headphones. I like them a lot but I was surprised about the comfort factor. The cups are a bit tight (even on the premium version that I own) and the head band lacks padding. After about 2 or 3 hours the top of my head hurts.

I'm thinking that I'll just get used to the added pressure. I've been using a pair of HD 595 everyday for literally 7 years now, so I imagine psychologically---if not physically---I'm used to that feel.

If the head pain doesn't let up in the next few weeks I'm thinking about returning them and going for a HD 600.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #535 of 564
  I just got my premium headphones. I like them a lot but I was surprised about the comfort factor. The cups are a bit tight (even on the premium version that I own) and the head band lacks padding. After about 2 or 3 hours the top of my head hurts.

I'm thinking that I'll just get used to the added pressure. I've been using a pair of HD 595 everyday for literally 7 years now, so I imagine psychologically---if not physically---I'm used to that feel.

If the head pain doesn't let up in the next few weeks I'm thinking about returning them and going for a HD 600.

That's weird, I've always found that Senn's feel tight on my head and I forget that I have my DT 990's on a lot of the time because they are so comfy on my head. That being said I do like the fact that Senn's grip my head tighter and are less likely to fall off when moving around. But I prefer the higher mids that Beyer's can offer over Sennheiser.

May 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #536 of 564
So I just got mine (600 Ohm) !!! Finally

May 24, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #538 of 564
They sound miles better for me than the HD 650 which I am currently selling. The Beyers are so much more energetic and more entertaining. Thanks to them I just realised that I am definitely a bright headphones fan.

dpaton:
beyersmile.png

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #540 of 564
Hi fellas! Does anyone experience bass distortion at moderate to high wolume levels? My hd8 dj can go more than double as loud with fiio e12 bass boost on before distorting. Sub bass specificaly distort significantly earlier than mid bass. Yeasterday i was was watching need for speed movie and then one of three ageras explode. Drivers distorting like crazy at that moment because of very deep bass! Dont know how to put that in english it was rattle or distortion. Does any one experience that on your 990?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back