Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #661 of 706
Yes, the 32s have the pleather pads. This are one of the worst pads I have ever used on any headphone by the way. Not that they are insanely uncomfortable, they also create much more sweat than any other pleather pads as well.

In any case, I just opened the stock pads, just to see how difficult it is changing pads might be, and I found the underlying problem of the left ear pain I was having. Other than degraded pad on the left unit itself, it's rather the driver covering cushion (or whatever it called, I don't know) has worn thin in the centre part, which is basically touching my ear and causing pain. See second photo wherein I marked the portion in red square box. For the right unit, that aforesaid cushion has not worn out that much, thus less pain on right ear.

Besides, what is shocking to me upon close inspection on the headphone is, there are literally two cracks on the plastic housing (again, I am not sure what these are called) on top of the earcups, both L and R, and for the left unit a metal part of the outer ring was basically broken and somehow hanging, the moment I took the pleather pads out that part came on my hand!

My usage for this headphone was simple, just putting it on and off for last 3.5 years, when I used my computer, around 2-3 hrs. daily and never once it was taken outside or exposed to any sunlight or anything. In a nutshell, these couldn't have been more pampered with! SO tank like built eh! Meh.

My previous headphones were all plastic, XB400 (used for nearly three years, absolutely no crack anywhere and it was both used and abused much more because I was a gamer back then!), then MDR-V55, then M40X for few weeks and then Sony 100AAP or something and leading to this! None broke like this! or shown any sign of cracks!

I am done with these. Thanks, while i liked the sound signature very much I am not gonna use something after seeing this. It was hurting my ears from the get go, but I thought of surviving that every single day in thoughts that I am using a really superior product.

Sorry for the above whining, as the dt770s get nothing but praise only, but my experience was completely on the contrary but nevertheless it was what matters most.

Some photos of the cracked / broken parts attached herewith.

hmm.. well.. I have seen them sliders crack before... not on mine but It does happen they are a weaker point of the design..

they are $28~ from beyer
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/1000/

and the velour earpads are about $34~

I think they would end up charging you $15 for shipping as well which kinda stinks but it is what it is.

You can also buy a replacement earcup (you'd have to solder at that point and it is about $25 you'd have to email beyer as well for that.. I think if it was mine and I had the broken piece like that I'd just epoxy it back since it wouldn't show with ear pads on.. since they are just cracked I bet you could epoxy the sliders to get them to hold up a while longer as well..

bummer thought... I guess you could also sell them as is and get something else..

my DT770's stay in the house as well mine are 8+ years old.. they haven't had any issues .. I have changed the pads a number of times.. the velour ones last maybe a year before they get kinda ~meh and I have to buy new ones.. washing them every couple months~ or so..

did yours fall onto a hard floor at any point? they ear cup lip looks like it broke because of getting jammed into the stopper on the metal bow thing too hard?? (or maybe it was just a dud piece with a flaw when made and broke I guess as well?)

with xmas coming up I bet there will be sales on the pro 80's ..I realize your experience wasn't ideal but many of us have 8+ year old dt770's which still are quite in one piece... selling those 32's and offsetting the cost of new pro 80's wouldn't be a terrible idea..

my Pro 80's
sx3600.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #662 of 706
hmm.. well.. I have seen them sliders crack before... not on mine but It does happen they are a weaker point of the design..

they are $28~ from beyer
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/1000/

and the velour earpads are about $34~

I think they would end up charging you $15 for shipping as well which kinda stinks but it is what it is.

You can also buy a replacement earcup (you'd have to solder at that point and it is about $25 you'd have to email beyer as well for that.. I think if it was mine and I had the broken piece like that I'd just epoxy it back since it wouldn't show with ear pads on.. since they are just cracked I bet you could epoxy the sliders to get them to hold up a while longer as well..

bummer thought... I guess you could also sell them as is and get something else..

my DT770's stay in the house as well mine are 8+ years old.. they haven't had any issues .. I have changed the pads a number of times.. the velour ones last maybe a year before they get kinda ~meh and I have to buy new ones.. washing them every couple months~ or so..

did yours fall onto a hard floor at any point? they ear cup lip looks like it broke because of getting jammed into the stopper on the metal bow thing too hard?? (or maybe it was just a dud piece with a flaw when made and broke I guess as well?)

with xmas coming up I bet there will be sales on the pro 80's ..I realize your experience wasn't ideal but many of us have 8+ year old dt770's which still are quite in one piece... selling those 32's and offsetting the cost of new pro 80's wouldn't be a terrible idea..

my Pro 80's
Thanks a lot for your response. Problem is I don't live in the US, I am in India. But I will still contact Beyer India for the replacement parts. Problem is they charges are bit exorbitant. For example that plastic casing for the sliders go through, how can they charge 28 bucks for piece of plastic, and that too very fragile like that! Anyway, I have been googling a bit on the parts and I think cheaper options is there and better option. But for the velour pads and earcups, there are no other ways to get a replacement.

I had to Google what is epoxy honestly, Lol. Well its a glue. And I have some Fevikwik (a glue which sells in India), not sure whether it will do the job or not. If Epoxy is of superior quality, then I will try to grab some. But I am sure that broken part has absolutely no difference in the end audio quality, so I could care less about that. Problem is, I find it rather shocking. No, the headphone was never dropped. Never even thrown to its place, which is by the way on top of books in my wooden computer table. One might say I used them too softly even, like pampered with it, and after all this, this is how it turns out!

If I get the velour pads, would that be much comfortable than this pleather? That's my main query. If not, then I have to look for alternative. And I am sure all the DT770 variants are made the exact same way, so no point in trying to go for 80 ohms of the same as it will have the same clamping force, same shaped earpads, which is rounded and IMHO really not how it should be. Seriously, I like the sound, sometime a lot, that I forgive all these pain I have, but then again, after a day's work I have to put these on, and first 30-40 mins fine, but then I have to wiggle the left earcup and eventually after 2-3 hours when I relieve myself from them, I feel like I need to put some ice on my left ear! Good god!

If I were to look for an upgrade, then where should I look at? I have searched on Google a lot and most threads seem to end at saying DT770s are amongst the best headphones money can buy, well the comfort on these is real deal killer for me, so what is the alternative for them? If anyone had the DT770 in the past and moved on to a better unit (a true upgrade in the full sense of it, especially in terms of comfort and build quality), then please advice. I don't have high budget either.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #663 of 706
Sorry to hear about your bad experience @ithehappy
I've owned quite a number of DT770 models over the years (mostly 80ohm since I like their signature best), some of them for live monitoring, I.e. not exactly a babying environment. Normally they hold up really well, I've yet to see one break, but of course that doesn't help you much...

the velour pads are much more comfortable, I've always replaced the pleather pads on the models that had them. The pads come with the foam disks which cover the drivers, so that would help with your worn down unit.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #664 of 706
Sorry to hear about your bad experience @ithehappy
I've owned quite a number of DT770 models over the years (mostly 80ohm since I like their signature best), some of them for live monitoring, I.e. not exactly a babying environment. Normally they hold up really well, I've yet to see one break, but of course that doesn't help you much...

the velour pads are much more comfortable, I've always replaced the pleather pads on the models that had them. The pads come with the foam disks which cover the drivers, so that would help with your worn down unit.
Thanks for your reply. I've considered to purchase the velour pads directly from Beyer. I'll email them asking for the price shortly. I suppose that's more of an economical solution rather than consider purchasing a new can altogether.

One question though, so the velour pads isolate less ambient noise and leak more sound than pleather pads? I've read something of the sort elsewhere.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #665 of 706

One question though, so the velour pads isolate less ambient noise and leak more sound than pleather pads? I've read something of the sort elsewhere.

yes, the velour Pads may isolate a bit less, but not dramatically so. I think given the much better comfort it’s absolutely worth it.

After some years of intense use it’s always a good idea to replace the pads anyway.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #666 of 706
yes, the velour Pads may isolate a bit less, but not dramatically so. I think given the much better comfort it’s absolutely worth it.

After some years of intense use it’s always a good idea to replace the pads anyway.
Hmm so that means the sound leakage will be higher also, really won't like that at all especially when winter is around. Okay thanks for your help anyway. Lemme think a bit.

If there's other companies making pleather pads for this headphone which are actually of good quality and won't affect the sound signature of the headphone then please mention.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #669 of 706
I am thinking in buying the custom studio ones which are similar to the dt770 80ohms, would the Fiio m9 with 170mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%), be enough to power them?

I already have the dt880 600ohms with atom Amp, but they are for my office, so I want something that I can walk around the house.

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #670 of 706
I am thinking in buying the custom studio ones which are similar to the dt770 80ohms, would the Fiio m9 with 170mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%), be enough to power them?

I already have the dt880 600ohms with atom Amp, but they are for my office, so I want something that I can walk around the house.

i used to own the Custom Studio and remember them as rather power hungry. Same for the DT770/80... worth a try, but both may be better off using an amp

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #673 of 706
Can this be made into balance headphone? If it is, who do provide this service? I see one in etsy who provide detachable mod service.
I'm going to mod mine this weekend to have a detachable cable, single ended though.
This guide is for the DIY people out there: https://imgur.com/a/7RQttxS
Yeah the guy who created this guide, demevalos, I believe does these mods for others

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #675 of 706
Is the dt770 80ohm good for immersive gaming and movies? I'm using the open back fidelio x2hr but recently looking at closed back again. The x2hr seems a lot quieter and not as visceral/bass impactful as my other closed back headphone (Sony Platinum Headset). The soundstage is also not that much bigger if at all. It may sound a bit more airy and natural though, but the fact that isolation is poor on the x2hr seems to cause some loss in details (my room is not exactly dead quiet). I heard that the dt770 80ohm has great bass and very good soundstage for a closed back?

I also notice people mention that this headphone has been tuned by the manufacturer over the years and as a result it sounds worse. Is this still a problem in 2020? I'm looking at this black limited edition model on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-Black/dp/B01ERLN180?th=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back