Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #631 of 706
How is the seal with the 900 pads? I was wondering about the 900 being not a sealed can with its vents, and probably some leakage in pads, since its not meant to be a completely sealed can. Please correct me if i'm wrong. The first thing i noticed with sheeps (hm5) is the seal was legit over velour, and the bass impact +++ but also took notice of a slightly loose bass (relative ofc to other tighter basses i've heard). IMO (and i'm an idiot so :p) take it with a grain of Indian Ocean sea salt, that if sheepskin with complete seal for 80OHM'ers that one should probably use that Custom Cans damping ,kit or a DIY damping to tighten/clean up that bass a little, then probably a little EQ to regain that Harmony b/w the frequencies. I know i' m not imagining the bass impact increase with sheeps! The new hm5 rounds might be better than ovals. Anyway i'm sticking to velour until maybe alphas + damping, or damping + hm5 , or damping with any sheeps :D If i say so myself, the velours are A-OK :wink:

Seal is very good. Definitely a boost in the bass but my ears aren't sophisticated enough to really comment on the quality (tighter, looser, boomy, wompy: truth be told not really sure what they all really mean). I definitely enjoy it though..

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #632 of 706
Seal is very good. Definitely a boost in the bass but my ears aren't sophisticated enough to really comment on the quality (tighter, looser, boomy, wompy: truth be told not really sure what they all really mean). I definitely enjoy it though..

The differences are small really but as a person (insane?) bass test songs / etc are common in my playlist. But anyway glad i'm not imagining differences as you notice them also (impact that is). My point really is, if one is seeking more bass , then leather will give that. 2 if its for comfort reasons, but you don't want the extra BOOM, then one must damp a little to keep it close to stock balanced sound. Because some don't like boom to mess mids/highs (relative to stock sound) since the German engineered pads are done so well 4 that driver" :p

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #633 of 706
Just received a pair of these, never tried Beyer before but I am quite impressed on initial listening.
Lovely detailed sound

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #635 of 706
Has anyone tried increasing the isolation by using different pads? Did they affect/degrade the sound quality?
I use Beyers Custom One Pro pleather pads, I find them the most comfortable, they are easily cleaned/wiped and the isolation is pretty good, been using them for more than a year on my 770's and wouldn't use anything else and because the holes in the back are the same as the stock pads they don't affect the sound.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #636 of 706
I use Beyers Custom One Pro pleather pads, I find them the most comfortable, they are easily cleaned/wiped and the isolation is pretty good, been using them for more than a year on my 770's and wouldn't use anything else and because the holes in the back are the same as the stock pads they don't affect the sound.
Where did you buy them from?

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #641 of 706
I have just ordered a pair of Dekoni Fenestrated for my DT770s. I normally use my 250ohm pair but I have an 80ohm pair in the cupboard that I will try them with too.

I got my Dekani Fenestrated Sheepskin pads for my DT880s in the post today. First impressions: they are well put together, soft and much more substantial than the stock 880 velour pads.

I have only tried them briefly on my 250ohm 880s after a listen with the stock pads to acquaint myself with the sound again. As you might imagine, the fenestrated pads open up the sound and bring more emphasis to the highs at the expense of losing impact in the bass. In particular the upper bass region seems to really suffer. Deep bass thuds of kick drums and such are still present if slightly anaemic. The sound stage has opened up a bit, which is nice, but the loss of that upper bass / lower mid is a dealbreaker.

To an extent this is exactly what I expected from the fenestrated pads. Maybe I was hoping for a little airy magic in the highs without much downside. The good news is that this is quite promising for my 80ohm 880s, which have more bass presence and have even sounded a bit bloomy on my Mimby / Vali combo after I fitted a new tube to the Vali.

Just as an addendum, my 250ohm 880s have very little clamping force left so that might also be a factor in the loss in the upper bass region. There shouldn't be that problem on my 80ohm set.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #642 of 706
Back again. I have tried the Dekani Fenestrated Sheepskin pads on my 80ohm 880s and it went where I expected. I really like the air that the pads add and the expansion of the soundstage. The bass is still there but it tends to get lost once there is anything substantial going on in the mid region. Maybe the additional attention I end up paying to the mids, on account of turning up the volume to compensate for the loss of impact, is not the most flattering for the 80ohm set.

But looking at the positives, listening to "Lights On" by FKA Twigs her voice sounds very much front and centre and the little zings and tings in the percussion are lovely. In the middle eight I can hear the electronic bass wumping in, even though it lacks oomph. The chorus rushes in in a very satisfying way and I think because she uses a double bass sound in that section, the bass sounds more part of the overall presentation.

Next, listening to "Glass Eyes" by Radiohead, the prepared and filtered piano sounds very lush and the strings that fade in are lovely and airy. Thom Yorke's voice is unprocessed and takes up space nicely as the strings wash over from the sides. This kind of spacy, washed out music is probably best suited to the 880s with these pads in place.

Putting on "Blue Train" by John Coltrane I can tell that there is a problem. The horns occupy all of the space and there is zero warmth coming from the double bass or the piano. The cymbals zing away with the rest of the drums lacking. The sax is just too fatiguing. Turning down the volume a little helps bring the bass parts a little more forward but all in all it is pretty unsatisfactory.

Overall, I would say avoid the fenestrated Dekani pads for any of the 880s. If you have issues with the clamping force of your set I would maybe avoid any of the memory foam varients. I am probably not going to spring another fifty quid to try another version of the pads myself, but I am going to keep the fenestrated pads on my 80ohm set for now and give them a listen with more suitable music. Right now I have Simple Minds' "Sparkle In The Rain" on as a hunch and it works well. I'm not ruling them out.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #643 of 706
10 year owner of a pair of DT770 80ohm headphones here. They're about at the end of their useful life now sadly. After a decade of daily use I think it's time to retire them. Why? Because frankly, they're beginning to fall apart beyond the point that I can repair them.

The leather headband shed its skin years and years ago revealing the foam, but that wasn't such a big deal. I used some black hockey tape to wrap up the band and have been using it like that for at least 5 years. Then a couple years ago the plastic bracket on the right side which the metal arm slides through to adjust the fit, developed a crack. Not from any particular event, but just through years of fatigue and work hardening of the plastic I suspect. It is a weakpoint in the design imho. I have theorized that the crack developed on the right side first because of the way I put them on and take them off, or because when I want to hear what's going on in the room I'll always lift the right side off my ear, which inevitably puts strain on the bracket on that side. Just the accumulation of doing that over the years may have contributed to it's deterioration. Anywas, I globbed on some JB Weld on the crack to slow down the disintegration, which worked for a little while but eventually the bracket came apart entirely. Even then I did not give up on them though. I removed the remnants of the bracket which were no longer doing anything but being pokey and uncomfortable, and fashioned a replacement from squishy styrofoam and more hockey tape. Basically I just wanted to make it comfortable to wear again, because once that bracket goes, the metal arm that holds the headphone on that side tends to point inwards, poking your head (very uncomfortable). My fix wasn't perfect, and the can always sat a little cockeyed on that side, but with the occasional re-application of hockey tape I kept it together. Now however the left side bracket is starting to develop the same crack (another view from the other side). If you look very closely at your own pair you may see a crack in the same location.

I'm about done trying to keep them useable at this point. They really don't owe me anything. It's a shame though because the sound is still perfect. Despite tripping over the cord and pulling them off my desk dozens of times over the years, despite accidentally rolling over the cable with my chair again and again, they've never developed any buzz or other sound problems that I can detect. They really are quite a durable set of cans in my experience.

I've used them every day for the last 10 years and they've been good to me. I'm not really an audiophile though. I've come to accept that I don't have much of an ear (or perhaps more accurately, I don't have a strong preference) for how a thing sounds, as long as it doesn't sound bad. I've driven them through amps, receivers, phones, laptops... to be honest I've never been able to detect the difference regardless of how or what I've had them hooked up to. They sound good to me in all applications. But more importantly for me, they've been comfortable. I never would have stuck with them this long if they weren't. And they provide good isolation, which I like, as I use them primarily for tv and movie watching, and that isolation helps immerse me in what I'm watching. And the comfort lets me forget I'm wearing them.

I would be happy to own a new pair, but to be honest, after this long the prospect of hearing a different type of sound gets me more excited. So going forward I think I'll be in the market for something different but which checks some of the same boxes (comfort, isolation, $200 ballpark, good build quality...). If anyone wants to throw out some suggestions to that end, I would be happy to hear them and really appreciate your input!

Anyways, I guess you can consider this my very long term review. :)

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #645 of 706
Nice impressions @smirnoff04
I guess you already know that you could order spare parts from Beyer to repair your 770?

Heh yea, I probably could have stood to do that a while back. Who knows maybe I still will and I can have a good backup set for different listening purposes. I've only ever had one set of good headphones at a time haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back