Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Apr 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 706

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to start a thread were people can talk about what they are using to power their DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones, I'm currently using a Asus Xonar DX sound card and Muse 6922EH tube headphone amp. So what have other people used and what has worked for them and what has not?

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 706
Wow, not one post from anyone. P.S. check out my picture, it's really is me back in 1985.

I think thats why people are not posting. they go to and see your avater and run the other direction.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 706
Not only judging by your avatar, this must be a joke. An appreciation thread for a headphone that is mediocre at best. And like the ohm version would change anything.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 706
Got a pair of these today at a local store. I was a bit worried about them. Out of the box, they did have a lot of bass, but it was fairly well controlled. On some songs it felt a tad bloated, but not enough to bother me too much. I've listened to some songs with bass I've heard hundreds of times before and it didn't seem to change them too much from how I remember them.

The strange thing is that this seems to vary between songs. On some Radiohead tracks the bass is a bit overkill (yes, Radiohead!), but maybe that's how it's supposed to really be.

Pretty impressed with the comfort. I absolutely hate the comfort of the DT-880 because the cups are not deep enough. I don't know why, but those don't play well with my head at all and hurt my ears. Why is the DT-770 so much more comfortable?! Up to 5 hours and extremely comfortable. Does the DT-990 have the deeper cups like the DT-770 Pro 80? Or do I need to get the DT-990 Pro?

Now this could be my brain adjusting to the sound, but after 5 hours of listening to them the bass seems to be even better and the mids are now a bit less recessed.

The mids on these at first were randomly kind of distant depending on the song. Other times the mids are good and other times quite recessed. Overall I'd say the mids are "relaxed" and this is nice at times. Pretty similar to the mids on the M50 in terms of how forward/recessed they are. I'd say they're less forward than those of the D2000 though.

I have a portable amp with forward mids to try that should be PERFECT for this headphone.

This might be a good alternative for someone to the M50 or D2000. Who knows. I was expecting extremely amounts of bass, but it's not too bad. These are bass light compared to the XB500 and D1100
regular_smile%20.gif

So for 5 hours of use, zero complaints. I knew they'd have slightly recessed mids, but it's not too bad. Not as bad as my first M50 I had years ago. The newer M50 is much better though, but doesn't get used much.

It's funny, I seem to be so picky that I hate like 90% of the headphones I buy, but I liked these right out of the box. I guess they may be a keeper! Probably more of a "fun" headphone. I do like how their signature is very fatigue free. Now, I don't know if I could use them as my primary headphone. I love my forward mids.

BTW I got these for $167 brand new. Not super cheap, but not too expensive. Pretty happy with them for what I paid! Guitar Center price matched B&H (which is closed until the 23rd for their weekly Holiday
confused_face_2.gif
)

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 706

Quote:
Why can't a headphone be mediocre to have an appreciation thread?  

This.  The DT770 Pro 80ohm is a great first step into the head-fi world, especially for hip hop and EDM fans.  I don't even own it and I'd like to state my appreciation for it on this thread.

beerchug.gif
  Enjoy your cans, DT770 Pro 80ohm owners, you made a solid decision.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 706
I've just acquired this to replace my M50's which I couldn't deal with in comfort department (despite it's excellent sound I found the pressure at the top of my head from the headband unbearable for more than half an hour).

Man, I can say that these are one of the most comfortable headphones that I've tried thus far. I'm very picky in regards to clamping pressure, headband pressure, etc (I'm the one who decided to cut off bumps on the K701 band out of impatience, after all), and DT770 has honestly none of those comfort problems. 10/10 for me in the comfort department, rivals the comfort of the HD800's for me (which is also very comfortable but I do have minor issues with its lack of padding on the earpads).

Haven't heard too much sound out of these yet so I don't want to go into a detailed review... but first thing that stood out at me is its impressive soundstage, especially with this headphone being closed. Bass is obviously emphasized but I feel that it does other frequencies decently thus far, as well. Quite usable unamped but definitely improves a ton with one.

Definitely feel that it'll do very nicely for my closed headphone needs :)

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 706
Always loved the 770-80. It was my favorite for years until it finally died from abuse in harsh conditions (I used them as earmuffs in the snow) last winter. Nearly unkillable, they are. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 706
Question:

I'm getting the DT770 Pro's as an Xmas gift for my cousin. I'm just not sure if I should go with the 80 or 250ohms. He will be mainly using them for movies. As far as his setup goes, he has a Samsung 46" LCD and a Sony surround sound. I was trying to check if his TV has a headphone jack. I checked on bestbuy.com, but it said it didn't. I'm not quite sure if its the right model, but it looks similar.

If worse comes to worse, what will he need to be able to use the headphones?

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 706
Well, the 250 ohm version is pretty lousy sounding compared to the 80 ohm version. You'd really need to buy a dedicated headphone amp to make it sound nearly as good, and even then it would be pretty grainy. I'd frankly return the 250 ohm version for the 80 ohm one.  Where'd you get it from? Maybe there are clues there as to what it is.

There's probably a headphone jack on the Surround system, but chances are it's a pretty terrible one. Stuff like that is usually a cheap afterthought on today's consumer grade systems. 

Quote:
Question:

I'm getting the DT770 Pro's as an Xmas gift for my cousin. I'm just not sure if I should go with the 80 or 250ohms. He will be mainly using them for movies. As far as his setup goes, he has a Samsung 46" LCD and a Sony surround sound. I was trying to check if his TV has a headphone jack. I checked on bestbuy.com, but it said it didn't. I'm not quite sure if its the right model, but it looks similar.

If worse comes to worse, what will he need to be able to use the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back