Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Mar 2, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #676 of 706
Thanks a lot for your response. Problem is I don't live in the US, I am in India. But I will still contact Beyer India for the replacement parts. Problem is they charges are bit exorbitant. For example that plastic casing for the sliders go through, how can they charge 28 bucks for piece of plastic, and that too very fragile like that! Anyway, I have been googling a bit on the parts and I think cheaper options is there and better option. But for the velour pads and earcups, there are no other ways to get a replacement.

I had to Google what is epoxy honestly, Lol. Well its a glue. And I have some Fevikwik (a glue which sells in India), not sure whether it will do the job or not. If Epoxy is of superior quality, then I will try to grab some. But I am sure that broken part has absolutely no difference in the end audio quality, so I could care less about that. Problem is, I find it rather shocking. No, the headphone was never dropped. Never even thrown to its place, which is by the way on top of books in my wooden computer table. One might say I used them too softly even, like pampered with it, and after all this, this is how it turns out!

If I get the velour pads, would that be much comfortable than this pleather? That's my main query. If not, then I have to look for alternative. And I am sure all the DT770 variants are made the exact same way, so no point in trying to go for 80 ohms of the same as it will have the same clamping force, same shaped earpads, which is rounded and IMHO really not how it should be. Seriously, I like the sound, sometime a lot, that I forgive all these pain I have, but then again, after a day's work I have to put these on, and first 30-40 mins fine, but then I have to wiggle the left earcup and eventually after 2-3 hours when I relieve myself from them, I feel like I need to put some ice on my left ear! Good god!

If I were to look for an upgrade, then where should I look at? I have searched on Google a lot and most threads seem to end at saying DT770s are amongst the best headphones money can buy, well the comfort on these is real deal killer for me, so what is the alternative for them? If anyone had the DT770 in the past and moved on to a better unit (a true upgrade in the full sense of it, especially in terms of comfort and build quality), then please advice. I don't have high budget either.

Trust what everyone says. DT-770 are among the best you can buy for less than 200 USD. Hearing someone say the DT-770 are not confortable is a first for me, maybe try moving the sliders up and down a bit? Make sure they have the same extension on each side, otherwise you will get uneven pressure and get that sore left ear; happened to me as well.

I have "upgraded" from DT-770 several times and they are still part of my collection, total workhorses. My first upgrade was the DT-1990, clarity was up a level from the DT-770, bass was less pronounced than on the DT-770 but they had kind of the same extension. I eventually traded my DT-1990 for a T1, high serial number, first generation.

The reason for trading my DT-1990 was simple. First, I've been wanting a T1 since the early years on my university, it was kind of a dream. Second, even being a Beyerdynamic fan, the DT-1990 searing treble was too much for me, it went beyond clarity and stepped on painful terrain. Mostly because my ears seem to resonate at the exact frequency the DT-1990 has its treble peak.

Comparing the T1 to the DT-770 and the DT-1990. The T1 had the best treble presentation of all three, the T1 peak wasn't near my ear resonance, thus I really enjoyed its clarity without feeling assaulted by treble. Bass on the T1 was less present than on the DT-1990 and less so than on the DT-770; but refined. I used ZMF Auteur pads on the T1 for a good while, they really warmed up the headphone just right and improved confort by a LOT!

I no longer have the T1. I traded it for the Sendyaudio Aiva. The reason for trading it, was that I found the detail retrieval of the T1 lacking; despite its reputation, I wanted more detail. I also never got used to; what I consider, the tame bass presentation of the T1. I have the Aiva with ZMF Universe pads, and some other mods.

The Aiva has a hell lot more detail than the T1, it makes them sound muffled at times and a much more present "planar" bass that I really enjoy, at least with the mods I have on it. Zeos said about the Aiva, he has not heard that much detail since he heard the Sennheiser HE1, I also heard the HE1 and although the HE1 has MORE detail than the Aiva, the Aiva is around...60-70% there, it's not a fair comparison, but the Aiva did give me the detail I wanted.

Going back to DT-770, compared to the Aiva and my Audioquest Nightowl (which is my closed can at the moment). The DT-770 bass is less refined than on the Aiva, it sounds distorted at times. Compared to the Nightowl...I'd say the Nightowl is a better tuned, more confortable DT-770. The bass is better, in the sense it's not distorted and the treble more contained, but still detailed enough. In fact, sometimes the Nightowl makes some details more prominent than the DT-770 and sometimes more than the Aiva too, but not often. The Nightowls do need a different cable, at first it was kind of megh, but with a different cable it was more pleasing.

Long story short, the DT-770 will serve you well for many years and can stand next to the big boys, considering everything else. I also paid like 28 USD to have that same plastic slider replaced. You may not realize it, but the DT-770 serviceability is a boon. My ATH-M50 fell apart, and I couldn't find any replacement parts for it. You could try getting some pads from ZMF before retiring the DT-770. There are some very similar (same) pads as ZMF on Amazon, look around.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #677 of 706
One more thing. At first the treble of the Aiva was burning my ears off, I damped it with felt. But after switching my Chord Hugo for SMSL M300 (for the balanced output basically), and feeding my Violectric V200 balanced, the treble was no longer murderous. In fact it was just right, highly resolving, but without feeling I have needles on my ears, I also removed the felt damping to get that ridiculous detail back. At times it gets there, but that depends mostly on the track I'm listening. If I can enjoy Bernard Purdie's Hihat on Caves of Altamira without dying, it's a good treble presentation.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #680 of 706
Hello people. Did anyone tried dekoni elite velour pad on these ? There are very positive reviews with DT 1990 but i can't find opinion for DT 770 with these pads.

Skip the Dekoni Elite Velour pads. Whatever they are made of, its not velour, the quality is lacking for their price tag. I bought them for my previous DT-1990, they didn't add much to the sound. On my DT-770, they lower the bass and treble, they are not an upgrade to stock pads.

You'll get a much better deal from Brainwavz Velour. Here's a picture of all my fabric earpads:

IMG_20200402_110333.jpg

From top left to right:
1. Brainwavz Velour (top left)
2. Black Original Beyerdynamic DT-770 velour pads (top right)
3. Audioquest Nightowl Microsuede pads (bottom left)
4. Dekoni Elite Velour (bottom right)

I don't know if you can see from the picture but the Dekoni aren't actual velour.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #683 of 706
Has anyone else tried the Shure SRH840 earpads with these?

I was about to buy some new velour earpads until I remembered I had a new unused pair of SRH880 earpads stored away. Now, I wasn't expecting much but I'm pleasantly surprised.

They fit like a glove and are much easier to put on because they are kind of elasticated. Soundwise, they reduce the bass a bit. It's still there but not as much in your face. The Dt770's also now seem slightly warmer and there's less ear fatigue. The detail remains. They're also almost as comfortable as with the velours.

I'm loving them even more than I previously did.

(Using a Topping D10 and Atom).

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #685 of 706
I have a set of these I got used for 130 euros with a Fulla 2 DAC....I replaced the pads with new black Beyerdynamic pads and was running them first off the Fulla (new to DAC/Amp audio) then "upgraded"to Grace SDAC and SP 200 and I really started to dislike the sound.....considered selling. Put em in a drawer for 4 months over which time Ebay and bonus paychecks yielded a Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 - pulled them back out with the new stack and they are fantastic! Really curious to Pad roll these a bit with the Schiit

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #686 of 706
I've recently changed from the stock pads on my DT770 to the Brainwavz memory foam and enjoy the change in signature. Would anyone happen to have frequency response graphs of the 770's with these pads? Curious to see the differences.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #690 of 706
Hi I'm new here, for a long time I used DT48 25 ohm (excellent headphones), then I had several others - DT550, DT990 600 ohm, DT880 PRO. Now I am using Sennheiser HD650 with DAC Yamaha Deq-5 Pcm63P-Y and amplifer SPL Auditor 2910. I mostly use low volume, different music - from classic to rock:

I listened DT770 32 ohm and DT 770 250 ohm several times, every time I didn’t buy because the high sounds - the cymbals - just killed my ears.

I recently saw the frequency graphs and noticed that the 80 Ohm version does not have as bright highs as others in her family and it looks like the DT250 and DT150.

Therefore, I wanted to ask experienced participants of forum about whether the 80 ohm version of the DT770 really has less high frequencies than the 32 and 250 ohm versions and is closer in sound to the DT250 and DT150?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back