Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Jul 30, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #691 of 706
Hi to all , Having my DT 770 pro for some time i was happy about the soundstage , the progression of the bass , the clearness. But to my taste there was some negatives like not so tight bass or fast (hd25 fast) mids was good but a little bit strange they sounded a little bit far some times, last the highs to my ears was to bright without beeing energetic ( soul byrd ) .
So i started from pads i bought the Original Pleather ones with and without holes and didnt like the sound , soundstage was gone , airiness was gone and progression of bass also lost .
My next step was looking for mods , in front of the driver and back of the driver ... Behind the driver i take of the ring with the felt and the bass get a bit tighter but i lose the progression on bass and hight got a little bit more. I tried Memmory foam , I tried Felt , I tried closing the hole inside nothing worked some times i got more tightness but lose the progression and the other way around ... So i think thats it i cant do anything and then i remembered my HD 25 alluminium vs Plastic i remembered that Alluminim sounded more tighter more impact and faster ... So i thought alluminium is a good sound reflector lets try that , i bought alluminium tape and use it inside the ear cup and also i use it inside the felt ring ( without taking of the felt around the ring ) .
So i did that and what i get was tight bass without loosing the progression also i got more soundstage and better separation , but also more highs.... So i thought nice i fixed the bass to my taste but highs got worst .....
So now its time for dampening materials in front of the driver , i used thick foam and did make the highs more dark but i lost the tightness of bass and fasteness again ... take that foam off and use the silk fabric ( for galsses) that brings even more down the highs close the soundstage and bass got also a lot down ... :frowning2: So i remembered about Coffe filter i cut that and place in front of the driver with the stock foam and i got lower highs but without losing the tightness of the sound , its perfected for my taste now .

Ps. Sory for my Bad Enlgish and This is my personal taste on sound doesnt mean that makes better headphone for everyone .
Ps2. I also make a video ( bad english again ) if anyone wants to see

116580077_10158579876877390_7770043685341164650_o.jpg116499267_10158579876922390_8401547346508808220_o.jpg116346243_10158579876767390_1107025374278094486_o.jpg116584506_10158579876872390_1201914730241077055_o.jpg

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #692 of 706
I was wondering if anyone has done a recent comparison of the latest builds of these dt770 pros (250 vs 80) or against the 990 pro

I’m also interested in this, as I read somewhere that the tuning changed recently and the current production 80 ohms do not have the “famous” they used to have when compared to the 250 version (so the 250 ohm would be the one to get for bass).

Don’t know if this is true, of course, this is what I remember reading...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #693 of 706
I’m also interested in this, as I read somewhere that the tuning changed recently and the current production 80 ohms do not have the “famous” they used to have when compared to the 250 version (so the 250 ohm would be the one to get for bass).

I'm interested on this also, as I'm planning to get a 80 ohm version myself.

If someone could comment on this... :)

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #694 of 706
No, another question...

I know this is a fan thread about the 770 80 ohm, and I have no doubts it's an amazing headphone.

But here's my case:

I have the ATH-M50X which I like very much. I also have a Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear which I also like very much

I listen metal (thrash metal, death metal, that tight palm muting guitar stuff) most of the times.

But recently I'm being toying with the idea of buying a the DT770 80 ohm to my collection, since I don't own any Beyerdynamic and the bass seems to suit my listening preferences, a "fun" headphone and not a neutral one, with a emphasis on bass, tight bass response.

My problem is, I can't try them and all I can do is read reviews or watch youtube...

So, objectively, given that I already have the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser Momentum 2, would the DT770 80 ohm be THAT much different from the headphones that I have? Massive differences? Os slight/minor ones?

I read that the 770 has a wider soundstage than the ATH-M50X and a little more detailed, which is great. But the sound signature is all that different than the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser Momentum 2? Would they be "too similar" headphones or still worth buying?

Just wondering, as I don't want to "waste" money and as the DT990 250 ohm is very tempting also...

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #695 of 706
No, another question...

I know this is a fan thread about the 770 80 ohm, and I have no doubts it's an amazing headphone.

But here's my case:

I have the ATH-M50X which I like very much. I also have a Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear which I also like very much

I listen metal (thrash metal, death metal, that tight palm muting guitar stuff) most of the times.

But recently I'm being toying with the idea of buying a the DT770 80 ohm to my collection, since I don't own any Beyerdynamic and the bass seems to suit my listening preferences, a "fun" headphone and not a neutral one, with a emphasis on bass, tight bass response.

My problem is, I can't try them and all I can do is read reviews or watch youtube...

So, objectively, given that I already have the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser Momentum 2, would the DT770 80 ohm be THAT much different from the headphones that I have? Massive differences? Os slight/minor ones?

I read that the 770 has a wider soundstage than the ATH-M50X and a little more detailed, which is great. But the sound signature is all that different than the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser Momentum 2? Would they be "too similar" headphones or still worth buying?

Just wondering, as I don't want to "waste" money and as the DT990 250 ohm is very tempting also...

Thanks!

To me no it doesnt worth it... DT770 pro are nice headphones i am going for them some times. But to me if u already have m50x and Momentum that already are excitement headphones ... Keep them and go to something different like HD6XX if u are from US or HD660s if u are from any other place these are true upgrade and open backs.
If u want closed back then Meze classics or Foacl Listen Pro..... Meze for warm sound and bass... And Focals for more natural sound ... This is my opinion.

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #696 of 706
To me no it doesnt worth it... DT770 pro are nice headphones i am going for them some times. But to me if u already have m50x and Momentum that already are excitement headphones ... Keep them and go to something different like HD6XX if u are from US or HD660s if u are from any other place these are true upgrade and open backs.
If u want closed back then Meze classics or Foacl Listen Pro..... Meze for warm sound and bass... And Focals for more natural sound ... This is my opinion.

Thanks for your input!

That’s also what I thought. I don’t doubt the 770s are great, but having the Momentums 2 and M50X I started wandering if it would be more of the same and probably would be better spend the money on something else.

2 questions, if you don’t mind:

-What about the 990’s 250 Ohm? Would they be a significant upgrade or different sound signature than my Momentums 2 and M50X? Do you have any experience with them?

- The Meze Classics seem to be great and the HD650/660 are a dream to me, but at this time way out of my budget... I can stretch my budget to the Meze Neos but I don’t know if these share the same sound quality as the Classics...

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #697 of 706
Thanks for your input!

That’s also what I thought. I don’t doubt the 770s are great, but having the Momentums 2 and M50X I started wandering if it would be more of the same and probably would be better spend the money on something else.

2 questions, if you don’t mind:

-What about the 990’s 250 Ohm? Would they be a significant upgrade or different sound signature than my Momentums 2 and M50X? Do you have any experience with them?

- The Meze Classics seem to be great and the HD650/660 are a dream to me, but at this time way out of my budget... I can stretch my budget to the Meze Neos but I don’t know if these share the same sound quality as the Classics...

Thanks!
I have all of them except Meze neos i dont know how these sound.
To me.... True upgrade from what u already have are the HD660s for music and gaming because they also have beat imaging and seperation and HD 650 for smooth old recordings, if u care about games only i advise HD 599.
Closed headphones from all that i have listen DT770 pro sounded big soundstage but to me they dont have tight bass they are dry and some times bright .
About DT 990 to me they had more warm bass sound compared to DT770 pro but also close in sound 990 pro are more airy... If u like momentum and mx 50 highs then u will have not problem with 990 pro.
Meze 99 classic are bass heavy and very warm sounding.
U have to choose do u like the aound signature that u already have ? Then go with 990 pro to get the same signature but open back and mory airy sound.
U want something more relaxed ? Go with the cheaper HD58x or used HD650 ...or Meze classics... From what i heard neo meze have more bass and plastic build.

Honestly u have already 2 closed back Headphones that are already good and u can eq them , Buy an open back something like 990 pro or 4XX or 58X or AKG 702 or ath ad700x all.of them are great.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #698 of 706

I currently have a new pair of the 250 ohm DT-770's, and also an old pair that I recently purchased used, which by the looks of the pads and general wear and tear on them, have been used pretty heavily. And a pair of used 80 ohms that still look fairly new, except for some wear on the pads. I won't have a decent amp to try with these though until next week. Until then, I'm listening to them off of the headamps on a couple different mixers by Yamaha and Mackie, which range in impedance between 22 and 110 ohms. The amp that is on the way is less than 1 ohm, and has more power than the mixers.

I will probably also have an AT M50x for comparison next week as well (knock wood).

There are a couple things I can already tell you though, based on listening to these on the mixers. The 80 and 250 ohm DT-770's do not have the same sound, when driven at the same impedance, and using the same earpads on both HPs. There is a noticeable difference to my ears. And the amount of wear on the pads also makes a noticeable difference in the sound quality of the DT-770's. This has been confirmed with actual measurements btw.

As the pads wear, they become both flatter and also softer. Which changes both the space and distance between your ears and the drivers. The lower frequencies tend to become more emphasized as your ears get closer to the drivers. This was true on my old AKG K553's, and it also seems to be the case with the Beyer DT-770's. Whether you would notice it as much on an open-back headphone, like the DT-990, I can't really say. Because open headphones work a little differently.

The sound quality of the old and new 250 DT-770 is similar when using the same set of pads on both HPs. I seem to prefer the sound quality of the older pair though, for some reason. Whether that's due to them being more "broken in" I can't really say.

So far, I would also say that I prefer the sound quality of the 250 ohm HPs to the 80 ohm HPs. Maybe that'll change though with a better amp.

According to Pete at Beyerdynamic, the main difference between the 250, 80 and 32 ohm DT-770's is the thickness of the voice coil. The 32 ohm version has the thickest coil, and the 250 ohm version has the thinnest.

All three of my DT-770's appear to have the exact same filters covering the drivers as well, made of a thick, black, woven, cloth-like material.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #699 of 706
No, another question...

But here's my case:

Thanks!
M50X and DT 770 veeeeeeeery different headphones. To me DT 770 is faaaaaaaaaar better, couple of tier above headphone. However as i said they are different. 770 doesn't have much punchy tight bass, it has very good sub bass and neutral mid-high bass. Biggest difference is wearing comfort and the soundstage between these. DT 770 is infinitely better in these areas. I have DT 1770 too. Honestly 770 is better than 1770.
I would describe 770: laidback comfortable sound, big soundstage, coherent and good imaging, elevated but non offensive treble, good subbass, neutral mid-high bass, non offensive vocals. Vocals are a bit recessed but vocal tonality and balance is great. It's not offensive. It just works. Jack of all trades headphone. Everything is presented. Sub bass, bass, vocals, treble, air everything is there. Treble is elevated but overall sound signature is thick and full. Durability, reliability, moddability, repairability, spare parts, comfort everything is top notch. M50X is punchy beats headphone with no soundstage and horrible comfort compared to these. DT 770 bass is more like movie theater type of bass.

If you like M50X you may not like DT 770 or need some adaptation, brain burn in. As for 80 ohm vs 250 ohm my experience is that 250 ohm is better. Overall Beyer headphones higher the impedance better the headphone. However 80 ohm version have a bit more bass but it's a bit loose. No big differences though.

DT 770 is no brainer for games and movies. For music it's a matter of personal taste. Some folks likes different attributes punchy bass, less treble, intimate vocals etc...

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #700 of 706
Re imaging... I have noticed some slight imbalances in all three DT-770's which seems to favor the right channel when using them on the higher impedance headamps on the mixers. So they may need a little tweaking with a left-right balance adjustment to get the best stereo imaging, centering on vocals, and what have you.

That is something I will be looking at in more detail with the better amp as well.

The wear on the pads also effects the soundstage imo. The newer pads feel more distant, and maybe more closed in, but more precise. While the sound seems to open up more with the worn pads, both tonally and spatially. The worn pads also seem to have a more intimate or immediate quality, like you are surrounded by the musicians. So the personality of the HPs changes a fair amount, imo, as the pads become thinner and flatter, and your ears become closer to the drivers.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #701 of 706
Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #702 of 706
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back