Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #646 of 706
Heh yea, I probably could have stood to do that a while back. Who knows maybe I still will and I can have a good backup set for different listening purposes. I've only ever had one set of good headphones at a time haha.

A very disciplined approach. I have to admit it srhenother way round in my case, more like 10 headphones per year instead of one headphone in 10 years... I can fully understand your interest in another model. Maybe going with the times and trying the Amiron Wireless could be of interest?

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #647 of 706
A very disciplined approach. I have to admit it srhenother way round in my case, more like 10 headphones per year instead of one headphone in 10 years... I can fully understand your interest in another model. Maybe going with the times and trying the Amiron Wireless could be of interest?

They definitely interest me, but probably twice as much as I'm looking to spend at this time. I love how they look though! :)

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #648 of 706
I received my DT770/80 on Thursday last week and I have to say I enjoy them immensely. I like their look, I like how they sound, I like their comfort. Of course they are not perfect, but for their price they are really good. And that satisfyingly deep bass fits my electronic preferences just so well...

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #649 of 706
What ohm beyerdynsmic could a dragonfly red on an iPhone power?

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #650 of 706
What ohm beyerdynsmic could a dragonfly red on an iPhone power?

As far as I remember the Dragonfly Red is quite powerful and should be able to drive all variants of the DT770. Given the 2.1V max output voltage I don’t think 250ohm would be a problem. I only ever owned the 80ohm and lower variants though

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #652 of 706
Since I own the DT 770 M 80 ohm headphones and there is not much info about them I thought I’d post my impressions as well. Like many have stated I would mostly agree with the stock sound sig impressions. The bass is slightly recessed below 50 hz and falls off steeply after 42hz, but you can still hear a faint rumbling until about 35hz. That is where some audible woofer noise starts so not the most refined down low.

The treble is definitely rolled of up top, and due to the overall tuning, the headphones sound very flat. They can be almost unbearable flat at low volumes, but become much more fun at higher volumes due to the lack of fatigue and how at least my ears handle treble at loud volumes. Sounds more like I’m listening to a pair of floor speakers than headphones at loud volumes. But they are only really fun when played loud. I suspect this has something to do with drummers needing to play at loud volumes to cover up the sound of their kit?

I’ve actually modded mine since owning them for a couple of years. I changed pads to dekoni lambskin, removed the white sound cloth around the plastic focus ring, and added some higher density foam around almost the entire inside ear up. its very dense foam that is almost similar to cork even in how it responds to squeezes. I’ve also cut holes in the center of the stock black cloth driver cover, while leaving the cover untouched on the dekoni pads. This gives me more treble definition while keeping a unnoticeable aesthetic.

The sound is much better for my overall preference. The bass quality is much better in definition, possibly due to the dekoni pads having more isolation from the headphone vibration. Sometimes on bass heavy songs with stock pads I could actually feel the headphone shaking that would muffle or distract from the music. Now The background is a bit blacker. The treble is definitely brighter than stock in this form, but not as bright as the 770 pro 250 ohm I had before and returned.

If I had to make a comparison to another headphone I own, I would say this modded 770 M sounds like a Sennheiser hd6xx with slightly less sub bass, possibly exactly like a hd600, but i’ve never heard a hd600 to be sure. Just going off other people’s impressions of them. The treble is very very slightly brighter than the hd6xx, but only on certain cymbals frequency. S sounds are also very very slightly sharper, but still very warm compared to other 770 series. The sound stage is almost identical to the hd6xx, and position might be a bit better due to the isolation benefit helping in spacial perception. I’ve also replaced the stock headband with a ZMF pilot pad for added comfort. So at the $250 total price including mods I have to say I’m very pleased with this headphone. Its got great details and musicality now with a slightly warm sound sig which I always prefer as I’m more of a bass head than a treble head. This is still no bass monster though. Remember hd600 reference. Is a very relaxing sound that can be enjoyed at low volumes as well as high now, instead of the full volume only stock setup.

I hope this helps anyone if they own this headphone already and are looking to tinker, or are able to get one cheap. It’s definitely a good modding headphone. Signing off! :)

Edit:

Here is an extremely rough measurement of my modded 770 M. peaks change between runs, but you get the overall idea by looking at the plot. Very nice sound imo out of these cans now :)
4E705F57-AD9D-4239-AAFF-806F7A4BEA9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #653 of 706
For gaming & rap/hiphop music, should I go for this or the 250ohm version? Will be using it with the Grace M9XX. & is it true that the limited edition one is a little less quality in terms of build? Saw some comments on amazing.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #656 of 706
New dt770 80 ohm for me too.

I had the 32 ohm and was a bit too bright for my taste, the 80 ohm is smoother sounding with more tight bass.

Soundstage is enormous.

My LG V30 runs them just fine.

Very happy for now.

Soundstage is what struck me as well, especially being closed.

Bass is definitely more than my K7XX.

Overall very happy given the price point. :)

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #657 of 706
I also got the denon 7200 for a long period, the 770 80 has more soundstage and it's tonally better in my opinion. The 7200 is more resolving, but not by a mile, and has a far worst tuning with bloated bass and colored midrange. I'll take the 770 80 anyday.
For 110 Eur shipped it's an insane value.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #658 of 706
Hey fellas could you suggest some really comfortable pads for the Dt770 (mine is 32 ohms)? I have been using this headphone for over three years now but every single day I feel the tremendous amount of pain I have to bear on my left ear. After using it for just one hour even, I keep wiggling the left cup constantly and after three hours of usage or so I feel like my left ear is hurting so much that I have to stop using the headphone no matter what. So would changing the pads give me some comfort? Someone long back suggested the brainwavz pads like this - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00MFDT894/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3PEHX60XHA7F8&psc=1 But later I saw that they have some durability issues or something. Maybe my ears are bigger, I don't know! But it hurts like hell! Even the right ear also hurts, but not anywhere near the left ear Lol!

One more thing I wanted to ask, if I get the 80 ohm version would my motherboard's built-in DAC/amp be able to drive it properly? The bass on the 32 ohm version is really high. This is my motherboard model- https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/specifications/

I heard the 80 ohms are much better sounding than the 32s, but not sure whether the built in DAC is sufficient enough to run it, kindly confirm if anyone has the same chipset here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #659 of 706
Hey fellas could you suggest some really comfortable pads for the Dt770 (mine is 32 ohms)? I have been using this headphone for over three years now but every single day I feel the tremendous amount of pain I have to bear on my left ear. After using it for just one hour even, I keep wiggling the left cup constantly and after three hours of usage or so I feel like my left ear is hurting so much that I have to stop using the headphone no matter what. So would changing the pads give me some comfort? Someone long back suggested the brainwavz pads like this - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00MFDT894/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3PEHX60XHA7F8&psc=1 But later I saw that they have some durability issues or something. Maybe my ears are bigger, I don't know! But it hurts like hell! Even the right ear also hurts, but not anywhere near the left ear Lol!

One more thing I wanted to ask, if I get the 80 ohm version would my motherboard's built-in DAC/amp be able to drive it properly? The bass on the 32 ohm version is really high. This is my motherboard model- https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/specifications/

I heard the 80 ohms are much better sounding than the 32s, but not sure whether the built in DAC is sufficient enough to run it, kindly confirm if anyone has the same chipset here.

Thanks in advance.

I personally wouldn't recommend them brainwavz pads.. I am needing to order new pads for mine / while messing about waiting to order new pads I tried to put some brainwawz HM5 pads on my DT770 Pro 80's ... horrific... drivers are held too far from ears and sound is degraded just awful. From what I have seen /experienced these headphones don't really take that well to pad changes in general.

If you have the 32's now, do they have the pleather pads? have you tried the Velour pads from the 80's / 250's???

The 80s are the best imho... not sure about the motherboard driving them sufficiently however.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #660 of 706
I personally wouldn't recommend them brainwavz pads.. I am needing to order new pads for mine / while messing about waiting to order new pads I tried to put some brainwawz HM5 pads on my DT880 Pro 80's ... horrific... drivers are held too far from ears and sound is degraded just awful. From what I have seen /experienced these headphones don't really take that well to pad changes in general.

If you have the 32's now, do they have the pleather pads? have you tried the Velour pads from the 80's / 250's???

The 80s are the best imho... not sure about the motherboard driving them sufficiently however.
Yes, the 32s have the pleather pads. This are one of the worst pads I have ever used on any headphone by the way. Not that they are insanely uncomfortable, they also create much more sweat than any other pleather pads as well.

In any case, I just opened the stock pads, just to see how difficult it is changing pads might be, and I found the underlying problem of the left ear pain I was having. Other than degraded pad on the left unit itself, it's rather the driver covering cushion (or whatever it called, I don't know) has worn thin in the centre part, which is basically touching my ear and causing pain. See second photo wherein I marked the portion in red square box. For the right unit, that aforesaid cushion has not worn out that much, thus less pain on right ear.

Besides, what is shocking to me upon close inspection on the headphone is, there are literally two cracks on the plastic housing (again, I am not sure what these are called) on top of the earcups, both L and R, and for the left unit a metal part of the outer ring was basically broken and somehow hanging, the moment I took the pleather pads out that part came on my hand!

My usage for this headphone was simple, just putting it on and off for last 3.5 years, when I used my computer, around 2-3 hrs. daily and never once it was taken outside or exposed to any sunlight or anything. In a nutshell, these couldn't have been more pampered with! SO tank like built eh! Meh.

My previous headphones were all plastic, XB400 (used for nearly three years, absolutely no crack anywhere and it was both used and abused much more because I was a gamer back then!), then MDR-V55, then M40X for few weeks and then Sony 100AAP or something and leading to this! None broke like this! or shown any sign of cracks!

I am done with these. Thanks, while i liked the sound signature very much I am not gonna use something after seeing this. It was hurting my ears from the get go, but I thought of surviving that every single day in thoughts that I am using a really superior product.

Sorry for the above whining, as the dt770s get nothing but praise only, but my experience was completely on the contrary but nevertheless it was what matters most.

Some photos of the cracked / broken parts attached herewith.

IMG_20191104_121102.jpg IMG_20191104_122729.jpg
IMG_20191104_122824.jpg
IMG_20191104_122923.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back