Best vehicle to live in?
May 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One down by the river.

X2! R.I.P. Chris

May 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #32 of 82
Yeah the smaller ones probably would be better... keeping an RV in a parking lot isn't exactly conspicous
wink.gif
Don't want it to be a target for theives or cops.

May 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #33 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch "Into the Wild"
smily_headphones1.gif

That was a suicide. Sorry the kid died, but there's no excuse for dying in the woods, short of a terrible accident or being mauled by a bear.

If you watch the movie, you'll notice a river near the school bus. A simple net would have yielded plenty of fish. Smoke them and you could have an unlimited supply of food. Even without a net, it's possible to build traps from logs and rocks, forcing fish into a place where you can catch or spear them.

As for a trip, I'd still be leery of a VW, just because of parts availability. Something like a 1977 Ford F-150 can be fixed pretty much anywhere. Even one of those towns with 200 people and a gas station would probably have someone who could make it run. If you need additional convincing, pull up AAA's towing rates outside of their 12 mile (or whatever) free towing distance. You're going to want a Ford, Chevy or Dodge. The older pickups don't depreciate much, either. If you put on 10k miles and keep it running, you'll sell it for about what you paid. Insurance is dirt cheap on older full sized pickups, too.

May 1, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #34 of 82
My gradparents has a 70's Dodge Powerwagon. That truck ran like a bat out of hell. It also looked like it went all circles of hell, but it just wouldn't die. A truck like that will get you across the U.S. several times over.

May 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My gradparents has a 70's Dodge Powerwagon. That truck ran like a bat out of hell. It also looked like it went all circles of hell, but it just wouldn't die. A truck like that will get you across the U.S. several times over.

haha the name of that ride rocks. Powerwagon sounds like a name a badass Metalhead biker would give to his car.

"Yeah dude, this is the Powerwagon."
evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about one like 'wmcmanus'?
wink.gif

Check out my new portable rig! *cough motorhome*

5Y8zMDJI1zI

I've added a 40' trailer and have redone the paint job since then. These pics were right after the trailer came out of the paint booth, and thus missing the lights, wheels, decals, trim, etc. I've made a ton of changes on the inside as well. The pics in the video were taken before I owned the rig. I'll have to take some more pics and post another video soon.

May 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for a trip, I'd still be leery of a VW, just because of parts availability.

I don't know if that's true. Most of the VW bus and some bug parts are somewhat interchangeable. There are tons of fanatics out there keeping all those parts still available. When I was in St. Louis we had 2 shops dedicated to just old VW parts. When I traveled through all these different towns, I had no problem finding parts. Most foreign repair shops have the parts. They are pretty cheap too.

I'd say the one big issue I'd worry about is reliability. Make sure you get one that has been well maintained and at this point, one that has a recently rebuilt engine. My problem was I always bought VWs for less than a grand, so I always had problems. At least my best friend was a mechanic, so I got it fixed for free, minus cost of parts. I also learned a few things myself.

May 1, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #38 of 82
1. Rent a space that has electrical hook ups
2. 24 hr gym member ship {Showers are mandatory not optional}
3. temp control storage unit
4. A older Scout or Big Bronco or Big Blazer would do you well
5. A electrical Blanket
6. A memory foam single mattress
7. Nice reading/studying light
8. A electric cooler
And that's how a bunch of my surfing buddies have lived for many years......... Have fun in Nepal, hit Goa if you can..... The world is a magical place...

May 2, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha the name of that ride rocks. Powerwagon sounds like a name a badass Metalhead biker would give to his car.

"Yeah dude, this is the Powerwagon."
evil_smiley.gif

Powerwagons also served our Military during WWII and the Korean War.

1970 Dodge Power Wagon Camper Special
The pic isn't showing up for me, but it's a camper edition.

May 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #41 of 82
A big fan of air-cooled VW's here. The Beetle was made in Mexico through 2002 and the Microbus in Brazil till 2004. Parts are plentiful so that is not a problem.

If you go the VW Microbus route make sure that it is properly set up w/ good brakes (disk conversion up front is a must) good shocks, good radial tires, and a good new clutch. Also you will need to adjust valves and change oil every 3,000 miles which is a very quick job that you need to learn before you start. Full tuneups are every 12,000 miles and involves points and condenser (yes no electronics unless it has been converted).

Two sites w/ good information are TheSamba.com :: Volkswagen Classifieds, photos, shows, forums, and information and Oldbug.com For the hardcore Vintage VW Enthusiast

Good luck and have lots of fun. Do not forget a AAA membership and a cell phone.

May 2, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 82
Bunch of (dumb) questions:

1) Why do I need a gun or guns?
2) How do I get my mail while i'm on the road? Snailmail that is. Should I just get a PO Box and have my stuff forwarded there?
3) Umm.. where do I poop?
confused.gif

4) How do I keep a fridge powered off of a car battery? I think I must be missing something in my understanding of the setup
5) @Uncle Erik-- I can make calls over a CB radio? Seriously? If that is true can I ditch my cellphone or should I keep it?
6) I have read that vans/campers are prime targets for thieves. What can I do to avoid getting carjacked or broken in to? Getting your car busted into sucks when it's your A-to-B but when it's essentially your home that's a whole 'nother story altogether...
7) If I went the truck route, what trucks actually have a similar amount of space? I've been in the backs of pickups before and honestly I don't think it could fit a bed and all that other stuff. Maybe some kind of extended-bed + extended-cab truck?

May 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #43 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunch of (dumb) questions:

1) Why do I need a gun or guns?

Only have one if you're comfortable with them, but it's a great means of self defense when you're alone in strange places.
Quote:

2) How do I get my mail while i'm on the road? Snailmail that is. Should I just get a PO Box and have my stuff forwarded there?

Yup. I like UPS Stores, because they can get fedex and ups, etc Quote:

3) Umm.. where do I poop?
confused.gif

If you get an RV, in the toilet, otherwise, fast food and rest areas Quote:

4) How do I keep a fridge powered off of a car battery? I think I must be missing something in my understanding of the setup

small 12v ones, or dual ac/dc that you plug in in campgrounds Quote:

5) @Uncle Erik-- I can make calls over a CB radio? Seriously? If that is true can I ditch my cellphone or should I keep it?

HAM radio, not CB. And keep the cellphone for receiving calls, and for general gabbing Quote:

6) I have read that vans/campers are prime targets for thieves. What can I do to avoid getting carjacked or broken in to? Getting your car busted into sucks when it's your A-to-B but when it's essentially your home that's a whole 'nother story altogether...

see #1, but it's not really THAT big a risk Quote:

7) If I went the truck route, what trucks actually have a similar amount of space? I've been in the backs of pickups before and honestly I don't think it could fit a bed and all that other stuff. Maybe some kind of extended-bed + extended-cab truck?

Google cabover camper.

May 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #44 of 82
Cant just travel anywhere you want with guns, so you had better check on that one.

Add a large solar cell to the roof to charge batteries while the van isnt running.

Put two large batteries on an isolator switch to switch between them incase one dies, and use one for the fridge, tv, etc.

Ham radio on 2 meter band is a good idea, and a cb radio also, and find out which carrier covers the areas youll be in the best, or the country/world. Get a 4 band cellphone.

Wireless internet and a laptop.

Maybe headfi members in different states will let you shower?
smily_headphones1.gif

Puplic pool areas, and some beaches have showers, and camp grounds/parks, which are cheaper than hotel/motels.

Keep foods that dont have to be kept cold.....peanut butter, pasta,oatmeal,meat sticks,bananas,nuts,canned beans,etc.

Tools, tire irons, etc., make good weapons.

Carry a passport and a drivers license, incase you need extra picture ID.

Gyro-crank flashlights and radios are good so you dont have to buy batteries.

Build some storage units on the walls,etc., so you can store things and they wont slosh around the van when youre mobile.

Get an 18" dish for TV. They make mobile van versions.

Get a truckers mobile cellphone antenna for increased reception. Check companies like Wilson for that.

Get a watch dog as a companion and to watch the van while youre out or sleeping etc.
Something that wont take up too much room, but strong and intimidating, like a pittbull.
If you get the pitbull, check to make sure theyre not restricted in some states first.

Of course its also good to have 2 GPS's. ...TomTom for the Tele Atlas maps, and Garmin for Navteq maps. Each are good in different areas.
The top of the line TomTom has something that enables it to track without a signal for awhile in cities and tunnels etc for a short time.

Also, bring a bicycle incase you get stuck or want to take a ride in a town or something on a nice day.

Tarps and rain gear is always a plus and a good weather radio.

Large First aid kit, and locations of hospitals in the area.

Large flood light to work on the van at night.

Habatchi or similar BBQ and an awning built onto the van and a folding table and chairs for outside dining.

Water purifier and a large water tank so you can fill up at rest stops.

Start an internet biz to make money while you travel. Then you can run it from anywhere.

May 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One down by the river.

You just made my day a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back