Best vehicle to live in?
May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

Headphoneus Supremus
One of the things I want to do is travel the US. Going to all of the states would actually be awesome. I also want to live cheap so I can save up monies by not having rent, utilities etc -- I want to travel to New Zealand and Siberia for a while once I have the money, maybe Tibet too. I also need the money saved up for going to college of course. Not sure what I want to major in yet, I can figure that out while getting my AA.

To do what I want to do I will be living in a vehicle hopefully by the end of this calender year. I can store my important stuff at my families house(s) -- already asked on that. I have been doing a lot of thinking and the van thing should work just fine and actually be beneficial in a lot of ways, but I have no idea what kind I will need. Astrovan maybe? This is where you come in
biggrin.gif
If somebody on this forum has done the hippee or road thing or whatever, give me opinions!
I need one with enough space for a little cooking area, a bed (cot or Single-size), etc. Ideally space for a rack or dowel too so I can have a pair of jeans, slacks, and cargos, and 5 business-casual shirts. Probably 7 t-shirts as well since I can't abandon my t-shirts
wink.gif

So hopefully the above gives the idea of what i'm getting into and what vehicle will be needed. What say you? Am I on the mark with Astrovan or is something else better for this purpose?

Last edited:
May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 82
Do it, you will not regret it. Make sure you have lots of blankets, I mean lots, layers are better than heaters, safer and cheaper too! Body oils i.e. Patchouli (not always possible to wash) basic first aid and your good.

May 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 82
Living out of a van for long periods of time (longer than a few days), might prove to be difficult.

If your going on a little road trip-- no problem. But if you are living in it you are going to need more stuff and more storage.

Keeping food fresh means a mini fridge. Cooking it means a folding tailgating grill. You'll need something to hold water in and storage for clothing. You'll need to insulate the van to keep you warm at night-- you'll be wasting enough energy with other essential electronics as it is, so keeping the heat off will help.

The list of things you'll need goes on, which means storage (without compromising a sleeping area) is important. Maybe a van/etc with a small camper hitched to the back would be best? That means you'll also be able to stand up in something and walk around a little. Car for storage, and camper for living.

I believe life would be much easier with the camper idea, but your car will need to be efficient enough to drive it without wasting too much gas.

Btw; good luck on your adventures!

May 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 82
am I crazy that I envy you?
is a Westfalia a VW vanagon?
I think a van for one person is fine. I love all this living off the grid stuff.

May 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 82
Yup, I don't know anything besides a VW Westfalia that combines the features of a camper (fridge, sink, table, bed, cupboards) and the footprint of a minivan. Get one with a pop top and you can store your gear below and sleep above.

Just don't expect to make good time on your travels - as I recall from my youth they start to shake at around 90 km/h.

Have fun! If you travel to Canada, feel free to stop by and help me renovate my house.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 82
I'd find a good used class C rv. You'll be much happier in the long run. That said, I lived in a 69 vw poptop for long stretches at a time, and enjoyed myself immensely. Just grab a little propane fired stove, a 12v/120 refridgerator, and an auxilliary battery and beefier alternator.

May 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 82
I don't know what van, but get your hands on a copy of Blue Highways, a story of another man's trip around the U.S. in a van after an ended relationship. Great stuff.

(If your library has a copy of the audio edition read by Frank Muller, it's outstanding - give it a listen if you like audiobooks at all.)

May 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 82
One down by the river.

May 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 82
I'd suggest the VW Westfalia as well. They're cheap, get ok gas mileage, and easy to repair. I owned a VW Combi, which is similar, but didn't not have the poptop. It had a plush backseat that pulled out into a bed. I never lived in it but had a friend, who was down on his luck, stay in it for a few weeks.

If you can't do Tibet, you can try Napal and trek to the base camp of Mt. Everest. Other than the flight, the rest is dirt cheap. Make sure you do plenty of exercise and running before attempting. Such an amazing experience but was so exhausted. Was told it was like a walk in the park and didn't prepare. It's steep uphill hiking for 5 hours a day but the sights are worth it.

If you are only going a short trip, found this site that rents them: http://www.vwsurfari.com/whatwedo.html

Now I know you can probably find a use own for $2500 but I'd imagine these are in perfect condition. I may also be wrong about the used price. Could have gone up over the years as they become more rare.

Enjoy.

May 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 82
Would someone post the Chris Farley pic?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd go with an older van - probably a domestic - and one easy to wrench on. You'll want to have a set of tools, a shop manual and be sure you can get parts at Napa/Pep Boys. It'd also be good if you learned to do all the basics before setting out. Change the plugs and wires, replace the brake pads, and replace all the belts and hoses. Maybe rebuild or replace the master cylinder, too. You can do all of this yourself without expensive tools. But you need to be familiar with the thing, have tools and manuals. And you might not want a European model where you have to order a new starter from Germany for $450 and wait a week for it to arrive. If you have a domestic, a new starter for $120 that's on the shelf at Pep Boys is much better.

Before you leave, be sure to get new tires, flush the radiator and maybe replace the water pump. Tires and the cooling system put you on the side of the road more than almost anything else.

Come to think of it, you might want to think about a truck with a camper or shell. Van engines are often crammed in the front at an odd angle and hard to work on. Trucks, on the other hand, are easy to work on. You'll also find truck parts easier to get everywhere.

Another thing you might want to do is get your amateur radio license. The Technician license is easy and will let you get on plenty of repeaters and networks. The reason you want an amateur radio is in case you break down or get in trouble somewhere out of the way. A typical cell phone puts out 0.25W of power and there are cellular dead zones all across the country. A typical mobile amateur radio puts out 50W-75W. You can hit a repeater from pretty much anywhere in the country with that. Most repeaters will let you make phone calls. Also, hams are a community - you'll always have someone to talk to and you'll be surprised at how helpful and friendly they are. You'll probably get fed a bunch of times and be offered yards to camp in and you never know what else. A good mobile rig and antenna will run $150-$200 and the license is about $10.

As for stuff to take, get a winter-rated sleeping bag, rain clothes, tent, food stores, several gallons of water, camp stove and extra gas, a cooler, compass, GPS, maps, several devices that start fire, a knife, rope, a gun or two (probably a .22 rifle and a handgun chambered in 9mm, .40 or .45 plus ammo), first aid supplies, and hide some cash in several places inside the vehicle. A couple of gas cans are a good idea, too, as would be a laptop, camera and a journal.

You should also have a contact or two you check in with every day. Let them know where you are, where you're going and when you expect to check in again.

What else... make sure your car insurance is up to date and be sure to get coverage for UIM. Keep your medical insurance up, too, and keep photocopies of your driver's license and passport (and you should get a passport if you don't have one) and bank/credit card info in case you lose anything. A certified copy of your birth certificate is a good idea, too.

Good luck, have fun and check in here with photos! If you pass through southern California, drop me a line. There are some great campgrounds on the beach I'll send you to and I'll get you lunch or dinner somewhere.

May 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd go with an older van - probably a domestic - and one easy to wrench on. You'll want to have a set of tools, a shop manual and be sure you can get parts at Napa/Pep Boys. It'd also be good if you learned to do all the basics before setting out. Change the plugs and wires, replace the brake pads, and replace all the belts and hoses. Maybe rebuild or replace the master cylinder, too. You can do all of this yourself without expensive tools. But you need to be familiar with the thing, have tools and manuals. And you might not want a European model where you have to order a new starter from Germany for $450 and wait a week for it to arrive. If you have a domestic, a new starter for $120 that's on the shelf at Pep Boys is much better.

Before you leave, be sure to get new tires, flush the radiator and maybe replace the water pump. Tires and the cooling system put you on the side of the road more than almost anything else.

Come to think of it, you might want to think about a truck with a camper or shell. Van engines are often crammed in the front at an odd angle and hard to work on. Trucks, on the other hand, are easy to work on. You'll also find truck parts easier to get everywhere.

Another thing you might want to do is get your amateur radio license. The Technician license is easy and will let you get on plenty of repeaters and networks. The reason you want an amateur radio is in case you break down or get in trouble somewhere out of the way. A typical cell phone puts out 0.25W of power and there are cellular dead zones all across the country. A typical mobile amateur radio puts out 50W-75W. You can hit a repeater from pretty much anywhere in the country with that. Most repeaters will let you make phone calls. Also, hams are a community - you'll always have someone to talk to and you'll be surprised at how helpful and friendly they are. You'll probably get fed a bunch of times and be offered yards to camp in and you never know what else. A good mobile rig and antenna will run $150-$200 and the license is about $10.

As for stuff to take, get a winter-rated sleeping bag, rain clothes, tent, food stores, several gallons of water, camp stove and extra gas, a cooler, compass, GPS, maps, several devices that start fire, a knife, rope, a gun or two (probably a .22 rifle and a handgun chambered in 9mm, .40 or .45 plus ammo), first aid supplies, and hide some cash in several places inside the vehicle. A couple of gas cans are a good idea, too, as would be a laptop, camera and a journal.

You should also have a contact or two you check in with every day. Let them know where you are, where you're going and when you expect to check in again.

What else... make sure your car insurance is up to date and be sure to get coverage for UIM. Keep your medical insurance up, too, and keep photocopies of your driver's license and passport (and you should get a passport if you don't have one) and bank/credit card info in case you lose anything. A certified copy of your birth certificate is a good idea, too.

Good luck, have fun and check in here with photos! If you pass through southern California, drop me a line. There are some great campgrounds on the beach I'll send you to and I'll get you lunch or dinner somewhere.

Wow, a lot of great info but almost takes the fun out of it. I'm from the school of "just go for it and hope for the best". Me and my friend were driving cross country in our VWs with the plan to move to Salk Lake City. My bus broke down on the highway in Denver and if it didn't start up again, Denver would have been our new home. Luckily or unlikely the bus restarted after 5 minutes and we were on our way. Looking back, I think Denver would have been a much better place to live. We only lasted a few months in Salt Lake. Sold my bus to get a flight out of there.

Can't imagine doing anything like that now. Actually thinking of doing a Southern California road trip using that rental site I linked. Would be so nice to drive around in a restored vw without thinking it was going breakdown at any moment (always paid less than a grand for any of our VWs). Prices are a little high but not compared to what any other vacation would cost you.

May 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

snl-bestof-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back