Best vehicle to live in?
May 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't get equating RVing with white trash. Check out the video of wayne's rv again
smily_headphones1.gif

Well maybe things are different where you live, but in the Northwest here most RV-ers are quite trashy...

May 4, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #64 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well maybe things are different where you live, but in the Northwest here most RV-ers are quite trashy...

If that's the case, I look forward to being white trash. One of my favorite daydreams is to get myself a nice RV and travel the country for a year or so.

May 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #65 of 82
I think you will find the people in the so called white trash neighborhoods to be more friendly and accommodating than people who live near a big city like LA or Chi-Town or DC. It is so over crowded here near DC people just don't have time or the energy to be courteous, thats my problem, I have no patience with people because I live in a rat race.

North Carolina or Northern Cali or bust.

May 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #66 of 82
donk-tank.jpg

May 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #67 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since no one has posted pictures here are a few.
wink.gif

1969VW-009.jpg

camping.jpg

pside.jpg

I had a 1964 split screen one of those (not nearly as nice) that two friends and I spent a month in driving from Montreal to Vancouver and then down to L.A. in 1971. Not very good on hills and skittish in a strong cross wind, but a lot of fun. Brings back memories of a great time.

May 5, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #68 of 82
My 69 was very much like the pictured one, only with a sportmobile pop top that went straight up ( could sleep 2 adults up top). It did me well until the tortion bar in one of the brakes snapped.

May 5, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the case, I look forward to being white trash. One of my favorite daydreams is to get myself a nice RV and travel the country for a year or so.

I would love to do the same, however my wife is "still thinking about it". Translation - No Way!
frown.gif

Quote:

My 69 was very much like the pictured one, only with a sportmobile pop top that went straight up ( could sleep 2 adults up top). It did me well until the tortion bar in one of the brakes snapped.

I know the micro bus is a 65 but was the top like?

iA1797F48-85B8-425F-8899-06B589B92AC6.jpg

May 5, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #72 of 82
I would really recommend a small rv or something like that. The ability to have a large fridge is really important and a decent bed can be too. But you should get something that will allow for good food storage and cooking as this will be very important for your health.

May 5, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #73 of 82
20090505-q5iy3tgkw4qiwj2837wwnb8p1g.jpg

That one is 10 years newer than mine was, but that's the sportmobile poptop.

Don't worry about the OP, he thinks RVs are for trailer trash.

May 5, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #74 of 82
Quote:

Don't worry about the OP, he thinks RVs are for trailer trash.

I'll have to tell my retired brother-in-law who tours North America in his $120,000. Gulfstream that he's considered Trailer Park trash.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #75 of 82
Quote:

It's almost always legal to camp in walmart parking lots. That seems preferable to risking arrest sleeping in neithborhoods.

WalMart, Target and K-Mart are all fine with RVs spending the night, although it's always best to check with the store manager on night duty.

There are a select few WalMarts that do not allow RVs to stay overnight. I'm told that RV "gangs" have caused some problems in Tennessee and have thus worn out their WalMart welcome. Essentially, they're people who are hanging around a state park for a week on a fishing trip, but are too cheap to pay for RV slips.

From my perspective, the main thing is to be respectful. WalMart is actually my preferred "RV park" when I'm on the road alone and off of the interstate system, which isn't often now that I have the big trailer. But if it's just my motorhome (no trailer) and just me and all I'm really needing is some sleep, it doesn't make sense to pay for "hook ups" because I don't need them.

When I stay at WalMart:

1. I always ask for permission even if I see other RVs in the lot.

2. I always buy something, either for the fridge or whatever I might need at the time.

3. I never turn on my generator, open my slide out, use my grill, break out the lawn chairs, or crank up the music, etc.

I other words, I sleep, shower, buy something, and leave.

Same goes with staying overnight at truck stops (Flying J and Pilot are my favorites). I always buy fuel whether I need to or not, and eat breakfast at their restaurants even if my fridge is full. The food isn't too bad, actually.

When I'm traveling with others along for the ride, then it makes more sense to find RV parks that are large enough to accommodate my rig. Usually this means paying for two slips unless they have a separate area for large trailers. So it can get kind of expensive after a while, which is another reason to stick with truck stops if the intent is to get up in the morning and keep moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back