Best vehicle to live in?
May 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #46 of 82
Oh, camper addon for the truck, duh. Now I feel stupid. Hey check out this one:

http://www.auslidecampers.com.au/images/cascadenew.jpg

Mmmmmmm. I love carchoal color paint / finish on cars. Sexy <3

I dunno I think ultimately i'm going to go the trcuk + cabover camper route. It will be good to be able to handle rougher terrain, and have AWD/4WD if I need it, plus I don't think the cabover campers shake bad at higher speeds like the VW's do, do they? I like going fast when applicableso being limited to +/-55mph would probably kill me
wink.gif

May 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to live in a vehicle, it would have to be the size of a portacabin. Maybe it's different in America but portable homes are seen as pretty scummy in the UK.

Indeed. I don't know if it's a US-only term -- "Trailer Trash"

tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A mobile home and an RV are different beasts.

Trailer-trash is not used for RVs. Mobile home is the right term. But I thought he was looking for more of a van/truck thing.

May 2, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

A mobile home and an RV are different beasts.

If you were to live in a RV for 10 years, parked in the same exact spot, does it turn into a mobile home?

What if over the years the wheels had fallen off and you are only left with the RV body? does it become regular home?

popcorn.gif

May 3, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #54 of 82
Nothing wrong with trailor living if its in a good trailor park.
Ive seen some really nice trailor retirement communities, and those people arent trash to me.

May 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #55 of 82
First of all good luck... I am uber jealous. I think it would be awesome for this to turn into a community event. You could stop in and get refreshed at a different head-fiers place once a week. It would take some organizing but it could be extremely cool, we could all live the trip vicariously
smily_headphones1.gif

Best wishes, be safe, have fun.

p.s. sign me up as a pit stop in East Tennessee.

May 3, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #56 of 82
Just my 2 cents on this.

I would definitely go with a used truck with a camper shell. Get one with a compact and aerodynamic shell.

Make sure the truck bed is big enough to fit a twin size mattress. Get a camper shell with window that have a bug screen. In the back of the truck keep a ice box and a large jug of water.

The reason I would go with a used truck than a VW vanagon is because you can buy a reliable truck for cheap. Unless you have alot of money to spend, a cheap vanagon will break down on you and you may be stranded miles from home without any help nearby.

Another thing, unless you plan to sleep at campgrounds, you cannot cook in your car. When you are doing the road trip and sleeping off the highway thing. It's all about stealth. If you pull over in a residential neighborhood and turn on the dome lights and start cooking and all the stuff, the neighbors will call the cops on you.

The trick is to pull over, find a good residential neighborhood to park your car.
You then have to sneak in the back for your truck with the camper shell, make sure nobody sees you. Then, don't turn on the lights or do any reading or make any noise. Just go back there to sleep. Hopefully nobody will notice you till the morning, then get back into your car and drive to a McDonalds to use the bathroom and wash your face, and eat breakfast.

Another thing about bathing, I used to occasionally find a lake and shampoo my hair, wear a bathing suit. You can also find places at camp sites to pay to take a hot shower.

I used to go on road trips like this during summer breaks, when I was a student. I look back on those days and all the things that I have seen.
And I have some great memories and stories. Sometimes things weren't that great, like sleeping at truck stops near the highway, but it was no big deal cause I had to get some sleep and I always slept well.

May 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #57 of 82
It's almost always legal to camp in walmart parking lots. That seems preferable to risking arrest sleeping in neithborhoods.

May 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #59 of 82
Quote:

It's almost always legal to camp in walmart parking lots. That seems preferable to risking arrest sleeping in neithborhoods.

lol!! Good old WalMart, supporting white trash nationwide.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back