BEST solution for airplane (JH13Pro custom vs FitEar universal), money is no object but sound quality, comfort, and lastly portability are
Dec 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
If I were you, I'd stick with sub 150 - 200 ish iem. My experience with portable on board of a plane is nothing short of nightmare. Left my sennheiser cx (forgot the series) and lost it, burned my tf10 on airplane headphone out, slept on my jh13 and broke the connector.
Now after all the fiasco, I've come to conclusion that the best place to enjoy ultimate SQ is frm the comfort of my home. As long as I can hv decent SQ, not bulky, blocks majority of the plane noise and can sleep with the iem on while I travel, I'm happy. Not going to chase fr the last 10-15 % of the perfection.

This

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
For flight use and the BEST isolation a silicone CIEM is probably the best way and the spiral ears 5 way seems to be a great sounding one too! I don't think my ACS T2 can live up to the sound the two in question possess. I have not hear spiral ears by the way.

Have to agree with Sonny here... a silicone custom will be far and away the best-isolating earphone you'll use. They will probably be a pain to insert/remove, but once they're in your ears, it'll be like the audiologist filled your ears up with goop during the ear impression process.

Spiral Ears has been well-reviewed by average_joe, joker, and other members, but because of customs snafus, Gregorz, the owner of Spiral Ears has decided not to ship his CIEMs to the US, so you'll need a proxy within the EU or somewhere else.

ACS and Sensaphonics are probably the two biggest silicone custom IEM manufacturers around; Sensaphonics has largely been stagnantquiet about their soundmusic technologyproducts over the last few years, while ACS has refreshed their line moderately. Altec-Lansing has a line of silicone CIEMs that are made under contract by ACS.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 33
Sensaphonics stagnant? Hardly. Just serving our primary market (pro musicians) with real technological advances: the 3D Active Ambient IEM System, and the dB Check in-ear sound analyzer. Both patented (USPTO).

While Sensaphonics does not expend much effort competing in the consumer audiophile marketing wars, we will gladly put our products up against anything on the market, regardless of the number and type of drivers they might deploy. We offer ONLY custom silicone IEMs; no acrylic shells, no universal versions. Our current models: We have the neutrally voiced 2X-S and 2MAX and, for those who prefer a little more aggressive bass presence, the 3MAX.

BTW, Kunlun just posted his review of the 3MAX:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639215/review-sensaphonics-3max-silicone-shelled-custom-fit-stage-monitor

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
The other thing I didn't like about the JH13 setup was that I couldn't listen to the music loud. I found the sweet spot with my iPhone was right at 75% volume level.

That is LOUD, don't do that. Seriously, don't!
I'd never go over 50% on an iphone with my JH16.
On my HTC I typically listen around 25-40%.

The iphone is much better (SQ-wise) than the HTC, which is actually quite awful.

I'd really recommend a CIEM for portable and travel use. It's great on the train, should be great in the air aswell.

Cheers!

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 33
For straight noise cancelling, I would have to say that Silicone tipped universals do it the best for me... My UM doesn't have a musician's fit so that definitely changes the cancelling, but with that said, something like the Etymotic ER-4S, Vsonic GR01, and the like should block out sound more effectively and effortlessly. CIEMs are for maximum enjoyment and on the airplane, that sort of defeats the purpose of maximum enjoyment.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:
Sensaphonics stagnant? Hardly. Just serving our primary market (pro musicians) with real technological advances: the 3D Active Ambient IEM System, and the dB Check in-ear sound analyzer. Both patented (USPTO).

While Sensaphonics does not expend much effort competing in the consumer audiophile marketing wars, we will gladly put our products up against anything on the market, regardless of the number and type of drivers they might deploy. We offer ONLY custom silicone IEMs; no acrylic shells, no universal versions. Our current models: We have the neutrally voiced 2X-S and 2MAX and, for those who prefer a little more aggressive bass presence, the 3MAX.

I apologize; perhaps I didn't quite use the correct wording (edited the original post to reflect changes). I guess us enthusiasts are at times too geared toward the shiny new product, and as you mention, your core market is the music professional. Suffice to say, we're mostly not of that populace. Glad to hear you sound off on here, though. I've actually been interested in silicone customs for a while.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
The other IEMs like Heir Audio 8A are also recommended because there clean soundqulity even at high volume and they are very detailed with good bass response.

Not only that, they look awesome and the 8.A is on sale at 25% off

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #24 of 33
For flight use and the BEST isolation a silicone CIEM is probably the best way and the spiral ears 5 way seems to be a great sounding one too! I don't think my ACS T2 can live up to the sound the two in question possess. I have not hear spiral ears by the way.

Yes, the BEST isolation and comfort CIEM would be silicone ciem (IMO)

I have acs T1 live! And also fitear togo 334
For sound quality, staging, imaging, i prefer fitear togo 334 than acs
But for isolation, comfort in long time using... Acs custom is far better than universal iem like fitear togo 334

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 33
While I don't have JH13's, I have UE11 customs that I've worn on 10+ hour flights and think they provide adequate sound isolation.  Comfort and isolation will depend completely on how well the customs were made based on the molds taken of your ear canals.  I get decent isolation with my customs and they block out most of the sound except when I'm sitting near the wing, but that's mostly low level vibration that I actually feel through my body as well.  With customs on, I can nap pretty well. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

I apologize; perhaps I didn't quite use the correct wording (edited the original post to reflect changes). I guess us enthusiasts are at times too geared toward the shiny new product, and as you mention, your core market is the music professional. Suffice to say, we're mostly not of that populace. Glad to hear you sound off on here, though. I've actually been interested in silicone customs for a while.

No harm, no foul. No doubt I don't check in here as often as I should...

BTW, Kunlun has just posted his review of the Sensaphonics 3MAX.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 33
Thank you everyone for your replies and input, all of the responses helped me in making my decision. I was already headed to Hong Kong for the holidays and got a chance to visit Jaben in Hong Kong (the little headphone store). I got to try a few headphones but was just so impressed with the Togo334's flatness and detail that I had to go with that. Ended up getting the custom version the MH334 and hopefully I will end my quest for the perfect CIEM here. Thanks everyone!

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 33
congrats. just make sure you take good care of it. its not an iem you can throw around like my cheapish eph100.....
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 33
Another consideration for heavy air travel is the Sensaphonics 2X-S. I've had a pair for eight years (and many many miles) and they still fit and sound great. I also own the fabulous JH13s.

Isolation: Specs higher on the 2X; seems to be the case but no true comparisons done.

Comfort: I have the permanent cable version, which are low profile and when in ear, I can sleep against ear with (almost) zero discomfort. Same for winter hat/ear cover use. Factor in the softer silicone shell.

Impedance: Close; JH a point lower; louder easier to my ears.

Fatigue factor/extended use: Not to be confused with sound quality comparison, the 2X seems a bit less fatiguing; very lovely balanced sound. In the old days, there were comparos to HD600s. I can listen to the the 2X louder for longer (YMMV); however, the Freqphase JH version may change this.

Sound quality wise: Too close to my ears to call; they are both super resolving and have their place based on music/mood and local. In the world of Head-Fi, buying both makes perfect sense.

Sensa also make a moar-driver version called the 3MAX; perhaps more similar in sound sig to the JH13. Deciding between these and the Freqphase JH, but will also replace the 2X when they do eventually go; same cable-type, etc.

Happy trails.

PS - For reference, my travel rig is a 4th gen Nano, Pico Slim, TWag LOD; lossless audio. Good battery life in a tiny yet good+ li'l rig.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
Isolation: Specs higher on the 2X; seems to be the case but no true comparisons done.

Comfort: I have the permanent cable version, which are low profile and when in ear, I can sleep against ear with (almost) zero discomfort. Same for winter hat/ear cover use. Factor in the softer silicone shell.

Soft-gel silicone FTW.

Isolation specifications are, in general, not very scientific. However, solid silicone earpieces with deep insertion are demonstrably more isolating than a typical hollow acrylic shell, and their pliable nature helps them maintain their seal. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back