Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350
Oct 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #46 of 51
No need for aggressiveness. Allow me to address the original question:
Quote:
Hi,

What are the current players in the solid state desktop amp market? It seemed like before there were more SS choices. Besides the Schiit Asgard ($250), what other choices are there?

How does the Asgard rank compared the M^3, PPA, PPA2, Beta 22, etc?

Thanks.

Rather than just firing off whatever amp or manufacturer one likes, we need to ask more questions. First, for what headphones? If for newish model headphones that cost around the same, it's pretty hard to make a bad choice. What you are using as a source may make more difference in my experience. Is it going to sit on a desk at home or would some degree of portability be useful? 

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:
I apologize for the cynical tone.   But I would like to see where Schiit says they didn't design the Asgard for 300ohm headphones.  I can't imagine a manufacturer ever pigenion-holing their gear like that.   Especially considering they rate them for 8-600ohms.  Everything I read from Schiit regarding the Asgard is that it is desgined to work for low, mid, and high imp cans.  There is no buzzing or audible noise with low ohm cans, and there is plenty of volume on the higher ohm cans. 

The fact that you find them muddy is fine...that is your subjective take.  I respect that.  Considering you prefer the O2, it makes sense you don't like the warmer signature of the Asgard.  These two amps, although in the similar price range, have a VERY audifble difference in color.

Thanks for that! I appreciate your point. I can see how my initial comment led to confusion. I agree with you that the Asgard was designed to work for low, mid and high imp cans.

Best of luck, Eargasmo!

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:
Thanks for that! I appreciate your point. I can see how my initial comment led to confusion. I agree with you that the Asgard was designed to work for low, mid and high imp cans.

Best of luck, Eargasmo!

You too.  I, by no mean, meant to offend.  It is clear you like clarity in your highs, and thus the O2.  I personally also appreciate that sound sig, but I reach for my Beyers to achieve that type of listening.  My HD650s I mostly use for long, calming listening sessions.  And you can see i need my fair share of "calming" :wink:

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:
My vote would go to the O2.... I have owned the Matrix M-stage reccomended above, and I prefer the O2 to it.....

+1 here

Although, I found them extremely similar as far as sound goes. I just kept the o2 because it was cheaper, and it had objective measurements to put my head to rest and it was much smaller and a bit cheaper.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #50 of 51
There is a new contender in the iFi iCAN desktop amp coming in at $249. I am about to post a review on headfi of a loaner I am trying out that is very positive indeed. It has some very unique features and a powerful yet smooth sound.

More to come in my review.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #51 of 51
My review of the new iCAN amp is up now:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back