Best In-Ear Monitors/ Earphones/Earbuds under $100.
Jun 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DavvyJones96

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new pair of In-Ear Monitors and didn't want to settle on anything, but the best. I've tried the usual Skullcandy and Apple fair, which neither I have found worth my money. I've also tried to Astro A*Star In Ears which, while pretty under the radar, performed to my liking, although the build quality was ultimately their detriment, having to replace them 3 times. The acclaimed Klipsch S4/S4i have interested me, yet not enough to fork over the money. I was recently in Best Buy and saw the Sony XBA-1 Earphones that interested me enough to purchase them just on impulse, but had not heard enough about them to blindly purchase them. They also remind me slightly of the UE 700 Earphones, which I have also thought of buying. This pair will mostly be just mobile use, as I use my pair of Koss Pro DJ100s for computer use and they are a delight to me. I intend on getting the UE Triple.fi Pros on Black Friday this year, as they are on sale for $99 on Amazon every year. I suppose these will be used until I get the Triple.fi s, unless a pair stands out and performs outstandingly for the money. I mostly listen to Rock, Alternative, some Metal, and should be good for movies, podcasts, YouTube, and the like. I prefer an L jack, but that wouldn't be a deciding fact if the other features outperform. Build quality is a definite plus, but not nessecary. Thanks for all the feedback, in advance. -Dave

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 17
I own Koss DJ100, I also own TF10.

Um....from what I can gather you want to purchase something cheap until you get your Triple-fi's on the black Friday sale? How much do you want to spend exactly on this pair? If you're looking between $40 - $60 then I'd recommend the Vsonic GRO6, SoundMAGIC E10 to get by. If you want to spend even less look at something like the Phillips SHE3580 which are highly regarded here. The E10 will give you a similar signature to DJ100 with it's forward mids, I own them also. The treble sparkles a little more in the highs compared. If you want to move up intp the $130 - $150 range I'd recommend Vsonic GRO7 or Yamaha EPH-100.

I'm a little confused on how much you want to spend this time round?

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 17
DUNU I 3C-S should be to your liking, smooth but very detailed sound signature.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
why anyone is ever suggesting yamaha eph-100?

Don't worry, I mentioned it in my post.  Team Yamaha remains strong! lol  
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 17
That strikes up a new question: With the Yamaha EPH-100 and Triple.fi 10s being so similar in price, which one is better? If I did my research correctly, The UEs are better as I narrowed it down to them for my top tier in ear (Ha rhymed) pair. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
I think maybe the Shures SE215 would attract your interest. You definitely get more than what you pay for the IEM

I dont think you will. There are many other options, perhaps with less known names among mainstream consumers. At approximately the same price you can get much better sound quality if you go for Vsonic / Fischer Audio / Brainwavz /other more budget friendly brands. I'd suggest something like GR07. The ultimate budget all-rounder, although slightly more expensive than Shure SE215.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 17
Hisound Crystal would always be good for you too.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
That strikes up a new question: With the Yamaha EPH-100 and Triple.fi 10s being so similar in price, which one is better? If I did my research correctly, The UEs are better as I narrowed it down to them for my top tier in ear (Ha rhymed) pair. 

I own Yamaha EPH-100 too. 
tongue_smile.gif

It's not a matter of which is better between these two IEM's but which sound signature you prefer. Slightly recessed mids of TF10 or almost evenly opposite, forward EPH-100 mids. The Yamaha's have a touch more bass in quantity hitting lower in sub bass regions, but lose out in layering to TF10 with it's higher bass quality and resolution. Highs have to go to TF10 they're well extended over the EPH which still performs very well mind you. The TF10 overall signature is 'slightly' cleaner / clearer and so it should for a triple armature. If someone hadn't of told you - one would almost think they're listening to a BA with EPH-100. It's a very clever micro driver Yamaha have going there.

I use them both at different times, fairly evenly however, lean towards the Yamaha when going out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back