Best IEM for a bass head?
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #46 of 84
  Congrats on the purchase! If you have an Android phone/tab that is rooted, message me for more details on how to make these sonys sound even better!

Thank you! I am using an iPhone 5 most of the time. I might look into amping them in the future, but to be honest I have zero experience with IEM amps. I've owned the Shure E2Cs and SE215s but never amped either one.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #47 of 84
  Hi Guys,

For you european basslovers I got a treat for you.
http://www.hisound.co.uk/in-ear-headphones-13-c.asp

AND 30% for being headfi: use code headfi30
AND free shipping.

Please click me if you find this a helpful tip.

PS thats 60€ for a wooduo 2!!!

AWESOME.

Merry Xmas.

Awesome deal for us europeans.

Do you know if that 30% deal has ended? The code doesn't appear to be working.

Thanks,

Simon

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #48 of 84
Not many IEM's approach the quality and sub-bass of the Atrio MG7's, which to many have been the standard for years. With the correct seal, these things are audio nirvana in the bass dept and are very hard to beat, although some other IEM's come close, nothing that I know of completely trounces it.

Even in the company of other IEM's that specialize in bass/sub-bass, I know of none that are known to beat the Atrios at their own game, but I am sure that there may be something out there.

I have heard good things about the JVC XB series and also the Sony Bass series, but don't know enough to make a recommendation, but I think ljokerl has recommended the JVC HA-FX101 for pretty good bass, and they are really cheap to boot! I think the Monster Cooper and Golds are close, but no cigar because the sub-bass on the Atrios need to be heard to be beleived, fantastic! So much bass I NEVER needed to use the bass-boost on my amplifier nor source, Atrios have enough bass by themselves!

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #49 of 84
@ZV3- Amen to that!

My ideal IEM would be: highs/mids from UM Merlins and bass from Atrios. Yes, they're bass is that good! Maybe it's not that detailed as the Merlins bass (well, these customs also cost a "bit" more), but boy, it's so much fun to listen and feel (!) this beautiful sub-bass. Therefore I'm still looking for the perfect combination. But man, I miss that Atrios bass - If only the harsh upper mids weren't that awful...

Tried recently the Wooduo 2 - not bad, but that's not that (again, harsh upper mids - is it a curse of cheaper IEMs?).

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 84
  Hey, how's the bass with Wooduo 2 compared to Atrios?

I didn't feel that way. The bass of the WD2 to the Atrios is noticeable. I loved the WD2, hated the Atrios. Too much sibilance with the Atrios, didn't really hear what the talk was all about. I tried different tips, sources, power etc...no difference. The WD2 was a whole different story. I didn't hear sibilance until I MAXED out the volume. Again, tried different tips, etc...much much better. The WD2 bass goes deeper. I am a happy WD2 fan. Much better bass quality and quantity. The Atrios customer service was also very poor, this has nothing to do though with how they sound. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #52 of 84
  I didn't feel that way. The bass of the WD2 to the Atrios is noticeable. I loved the WD2, hated the Atrios. Too much sibilance with the Atrios, didn't really hear what the talk was all about. I tried different tips, sources, power etc...no difference. The WD2 was a whole different story. I didn't hear sibilance until I MAXED out the volume. Again, tried different tips, etc...much much better. The WD2 bass goes deeper. I am a happy WD2 fan. Much better bass quality and quantity. The Atrios customer service was also very poor, this has nothing to do though with how they sound. 

Sibilance from the Atrios? Strange, never heard that before as the Bass seems to, uh, be pretty prevalent. Basically, the bass pretty much overpowers the rest of the frequencies so I've never had a problem with sibilance, but I guess it's possible.

This thread has made me whip out my MG7's and directly compare them to my new GR07 BE and wow, the Atrios probably have almost twice as much bass WITHOUT turning on the bass-booster on my E12, which I had to do for my GR07's!

In other words, with the bass-booster on when I tried the GR07, the Atrios still had almost twice as much bass with the bass-booster OFF when I tried them! I wouldn't even attempt to use the BB with my Atrios as it would be too much to my ears.

Atrios sound the best with songs that have good quality bass and forward, aggressive treble (as the Atrios lack sufficient treble to me) like Body Mechanic by Quadrant Six, but actually don't sound as good with songs that have very aggressive, low quality bass. The quality of the bass is what keeps my attention and prevents me from completely giving them up for my GR07 BE. I do like mids and treble, so the perfect IEM for me would be something with the bass of the Atrios but with the mids and highs of the GR07's or something equivalent, which I have not heard yet.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #53 of 84

I did only a quick comparison - Atrio a bit more in quantity and you can better "feel" pushing the air.
Also I didn't notice any sibilance on both Wooduo and Atrios (that's not the same as harsh upper mids), although I'm very sensitive to it.
But in general, apart from the bass the Wooduo 2 is a sonically better IEM.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #54 of 84

I did only a quick comparison - Atrio a bit more in quantity and you can better "feel" pushing the air.
Also I didn't notice any sibilance on both Wooduo and Atrios (that's not the same as harsh upper mids), although I'm very sensitive to it.

Wow, the Wooduo 2 compares closely to the Atrios? I must hear them if they are that good, even if they have 75% of the bass of the Atrios with better highs and mids, that would be a boon to me and worth looking into. Did ljokerl review them? I better look at his IEM reviews and check.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #55 of 84

Thank you both for sharing your opinions. I'm thinking about acquiring the Wooduo's and this surely helps.
If I can get the sub-bass I'm searching with Wooduo's, then I'll be happy.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #56 of 84
Hey all, created an account just to thank everyone for sharing their insight. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the EB90EX's. Ordered through amazon to the states. I'll report back when the burn-in is complete and I can give my initial impressions. For now, thank you all again!

My original post from some weeks ago is quoted above, I received my EB90EX's after some very excitable waiting out of me and some patience out of my wife. I wanted to share my experience with these so far.

I have to admit, when I first received them I tossed them right into some music I thought would take excellent advantage of the bass. They sounded very disappointing.

My initial feeling was that I was lead astray by you guys! I put them on a burn in cycle over night though and let them play/rest/play on my work computer throughout the day. I decided I would only listen to them with mild music for a while and come back to the bass later. After about thirty or so hours of playtime I played some heavy electronic music I normally listen to (Deep Trap, if you're curious) and my god... my jaw actually dropped.

Whatever apprehensions I had about whether burn-in (or whatever it's proper term may be) is an actual process the drivers go through are now completely destroyed. I have read that these headphones can make you literally feel the bass in other parts of your body! That sounded a bit fluffed to me but again I was wrong. It's a very weird feeling but the bass is so magnificently strong it somehow broadens itself over your entire body. I can feel it in my chest cavity somehow and my wife says she can feel it in her feet. (She is most decidedly NOT an audiophile, so this actually validated this supposed phenomena for me more than anything).

I have not been lead astray, I now owe a beer to anyone who has recommended these in the past. They are most definitely above and beyond my expectations, which to be honest I had almost expected was unattainably high. Sony has broken that boundary in my mind as well.

The highs are rolled-off a bit but to be honest they are still definitely IEMs. They are noticeably different on the highs compared to my Shure SE215's but it isn't necessarily a negative difference. Let's put it this way: if you want this much bass, then you will be delighted with how clear the highs are when considering you get all the succulent bass around it.

Bottom line: I would be willing to pay over $300 if I knew something was going to sound this good. (I see people wearing that much money in Beats by Dre on a regular basis, they don't get this kind of sound) I see the value of IEMs all the way across the price spectrum and I think these have easily out-classed themselves.

10/10 Would buy again.

Thank you all for your excellent insight.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #57 of 84
Congrats Snuke, you have made ​​a good decision. Enjoy it!

The Wooduos 2 arrived and these are my first impressions:

I really only tried some few hours. Indeed, they have crystal-clear highs, great soundstage, great mids, very good separation of instruments but the most interesting to me are the lows that paragraph, I feel a little disappointed. The mid bass is tight, do not feel that initial punch that leads to the sub bass monster that characterizes basshead iems. Regarding the sub bass, I do not perceive much lower and much less having a deep extension. In my Fiio X3, I have to turn up the bass almost to +8 and use high gain to hear a tune decently good dose of bass and sub ​​bass. I've tried several tips, as well as different forms of insertion but has not been a substantial change. I hope the burn in the sound change, in terms of bass and sub ​​bass. For now, my XB90EX remain in first place in the section of visceral bass and sub ​​bass
basshead.gif

Cheers.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #58 of 84
  Congrats Snuke, you have made ​​a good decision. Enjoy it!

The Wooduos 2 arrived and these are my first impressions:

I really only tried some few hours. Indeed, they have crystal-clear highs, great soundstage, great mids, very good separation of instruments but the most interesting to me are the lows that paragraph, I feel a little disappointed. The mid bass is tight, do not feel that initial punch that leads to the sub bass monster that characterizes basshead iems. Regarding the sub bass, I do not perceive much lower and much less having a deep extension. In my Fiio X3, I have to turn up the bass almost to +8 and use high gain to hear a tune decently good dose of bass and sub ​​bass. I've tried several tips, as well as different forms of insertion but has not been a substantial change. I hope the burn in the sound change, in terms of bass and sub ​​bass. For now, my XB90EX remain in first place in the section of visceral bass and sub ​​bass
basshead.gif

Cheers.

Sounds like you should hear the Atrios. I'm my opinion, anything else is just a waste of time if your looking for sub-bass, but glad you like the Sony XB90EX!

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #59 of 84
Sounds like you should hear the Atrios. I'm my opinion, anything else is just a waste of time if your looking for sub-bass, but glad you like the Sony XB90EX!

I wouldn't mind hearing the Atrios! To be honest I had no clue there was a market segment of IEMs for people who like extra bass. This is all very new to me, it makes me want to hear other models to experience different bass types. I can't imagine anything outdoing these Sony's but my interest is most definitely piqued.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #60 of 84
Yes, Atrios (MG7 driver not MG5) were among the first candidates basshead iems I had in mind for quite some time but many people complained about the recessed mids and a high harsh. They said it was just sub bass and proved boring. I've always been a little skeptical when someone says iems (micro driver or driver tunning) that have small drivers can produce huge amounts of bass and sub ​​bass. Now with HW2, I have seen this theory.

These physical, large drivers (for example 16mm of xb90ex) move large quantities of air to produce bass rumble and extend without problem. Added to this, always come with huge air chambers that help in the process. Not surprisingly some legendary iems denominated bass monsters (Hippo VB, Senn IE8, for example) use variable air intake systems to produce crazy amounts of bass. I'll have to try these someday atrios. Meanwhile, I will continue enjoying my XB90
wink.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back