Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find thread on this. plz help)
May 3, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #46 of 131
Quote:
I have E5 and E17 and IMO the bass boost on E5 is nowhere near enough. Last i checked the bass boost on E6 wasnt that much better. For reall bass boost an E11 or the similar E17 imo would do better as even the E5s is barely enough.
I havent read the beginning of this thread im just wondering who said 780.
Dt770 are comfortable but not good(compared to 580) at highs, lows, and edm like HFI580 so you give up sound for comfort

ok.  I'm returning the 780's.  There was one person on the first page that said 780's and one that said 580's.  I ended up bidding on the 780's (since I figured the more expensive suggestion might be better out of the two) for $70 less than the asking price.  When they accepted, I bought it.  I JUST WANT A REALLY GOOD PAIR OF PHONES FOR DUBSTEP AND TECHNO BOTH!  THATS IT.  I did five hours of searching and reviewing.  There are so many opinions.  I guess I'll send these back and try the 580's.

May 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #48 of 131
I have E5 and E17 and IMO the bass boost on E5 is nowhere near enough. Last i checked the bass boost on E6 wasnt that much better. For reall bass boost an E11 or the similar E17 imo would do better as even the E5s is barely enough.
I havent read the beginning of this thread im just wondering who said 780.
Dt770 are comfortable but not good(compared to 580) at highs, lows, and edm like HFI580 so you give up sound for comfort

That's not correct, the E6 is far better than the E5 in every way. The bass boost on the E6 on EQ2 is very prominent. On EQ1 it is even more so, but it also effects the treble, and leads to muddy sound in all but the brightest headphones. The E11 isn't a bass boost so much as it is a sub bass boost. If your cans don't have much sub bass response to start with, the E11s bass boost would be far less noticeable than the E6s, since it's bass boost is mid bass too. There are graphs around here on the EQ effects of all three of these amps. Can't find em for ya right now though.

May 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #49 of 131
Noob question.  If I get this amp -  http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Micca-Cable/dp/B005JT8OT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336015449&sr=8-3
ir

-  do I need to get a plug in cable?  or is the cable that comes with this sufficient?

If you are using an Apple device, an LOD is the best option. If you are using another player, the cables that come with it will do. Most common players, besides Apple and a few others don't give a line out option.

May 3, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #50 of 131
Quote:
If you are using an Apple device, an LOD is the best option. If you are using another player, the cables that come with it will do. Most common players, besides Apple and a few others don't give a line out option.

I have to agree with this. I've been playing around with both the LOD and the headphone out, cause I've heard that some prefer the latter, but I keep coming back to the LOD

May 3, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #52 of 131
Quote:
You have to learn bias on head fi AND also that your tastes are still new. It may seem to be unbassy at first but that is as intended by artists usually. If you send it bak see if you can get an E11 with it.
If you haave an ipod best connector is FiiO L9

I'm definitely going to send it back.  I guess I'm going with the ultrasone hfi580's over the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO-80 and the  Sennheiser HD25-1 II.  (even though I am really tempted to get the HD25's, cause the HFI580's are $130, but I can prob get the HD 25's for $140 when they are usually $200)
I will also probably order the E11.  Some people are saying E6 is enough, some are not.  More research. . . . .
Quote:
That's not correct, the E6 is far better than the E5 in every way. The bass boost on the E6 on EQ2 is very prominent. On EQ1 it is even more so, but it also effects the treble, and leads to muddy sound in all but the brightest headphones. The E11 isn't a bass boost so much as it is a sub bass boost. If your cans don't have much sub bass response to start with, the E11s bass boost would be far less noticeable than the E6s, since it's bass boost is mid bass too. There are graphs around here on the EQ effects of all three of these amps. Can't find em for ya right now though.

lol.  I dont know what a bass boost is compared to a sub bass boost.  I did notice that the 580's didn't have much bass on the 1 and 3 kind of bass (like drumset timing) but did have some bass on the wubwub.  Please post the graphs is you can find them.  If not, then I'll look later.
Quote:

ok.  you did look at the link, right?  For some reason unbeknownst to me, it seems that lots of people are buying a cord to come with the Feii (x) instead of just using the cord that comes with it.

Last chance to say anything before I turn them back in tomorrow.  Anyone have anything to say on the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and (maybe) the Beyer770s?

(people are talking some trash about the athm50's, but the graph 2/3's the way down this page seems to show that they are gdlk when compared to the senn's and the hfi580's)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563405/audio-technica-ath-m50-vs-ultrasone-hifi-580-vs-denon-ah-d1100-vs-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-vs-akg-k181/30

Again, thank you all for all the help.

May 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #53 of 131
I listen to almost exclusively Dubstep and Trance (mostly vocal stuff though) and I LOVE my Beyer DT770 Pro 80...and as this will be your only can they are really great for movies and gaming too thanks to their HUGE soundstage which will make them a great all rounder...they are built like a tank too so no need to treat them all lovey dovey either...when you finished listening just lob em on ya bed or desk etc 

Im considered a HUGE basshead and when reading reviews on this site people often say these have "earth shattering bass" and thats its overbearing...and I can tell you one thing for dubstep it is not at all overpowering...there is actually not enough of it tbh 

The good thing is though, there is plenty of sub bass (the low bass which you can feel, when your in a club and you can feel that bass vibrate everything) this is harder to enhance with an EQ or amp (something i feel the E11 failed at)...but if you pair it with something like a Digizoid ZO2 then that is where you will get the bass for dubstep you will want (more mid bass, you can hear this more and is whats known as the bass impact, like a bass hammer for lack of a better term)!

Forget the Fiio E5 and E6 etc...i had the Fiio E11 which is noticably better than the E5 (never heard E6) it has a 2 bass boost switch which is no comparrison to the Digizoid ZO2´s 30 bass boost, you should try and find a used one on ebay or the FS forums here! And somehow it still doesnt bleed into to other frequencies and veil the highs which the E11´s did and actually had less bass...dont ask me how that happens, was shocked when i heard it 
eek.gif

The highs are also bumped up with the DT770 Pro 80 which is lovely for trance...some people find them very spikey but i can assure they are not as bad as everyone says, even more so with having limited experience you will find them great...I actually love the highs! Yes the mids could do with being a little more upfront but, they are lovely and smooth...with a bump in the 1k-2k region they are brought out a little to...and sound great...with EDM this is hardly an issue and i doubt you would even feel the need for them to be more forward and detract form the bass and highs! 

On another note...if you like the idea of walking out an about with your cans maybe look into the ATH-WS55 (or the "i" version for use with iPhone) people prefer these to thier ATH-M50´s (more bass) and I have the earphone version of these the CKS77 and the bass is even bigger than the DT770 with no EQ and have more forward mids and smoother highs...but nothing beats the Beyers bass after a bump with the Digizoid ZO2, and soundstage is much wider which is lovely for allot of EDM music! If you go for DT770 only get the Pro version and the 80Ohm one, they are considered the best...also much better than a M50 my mate has! 

Later down the road if you feel like an upgrade you can send them to headphile.com for modding into Darth Beyers/Terminator V4 once you get a bit more cash...I would LOVE to hear those :p 

Also there are numerous other mods whihc i am becoming more interested in...some that make them more detailed...some that reduce the bass...some that increase the bass etc so can sort of tailer them to your liking! I wouldnt pay that much attention to graphs they are only part of the sound and you can considerably change it with EQ...dont always sound great though! 

May 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #54 of 131
The frequency responce for bass on E6 and E5 is very close from the two graphs I have seen. I just would not say the E5s bass boost is enough for a bass head.

That would depend on the cans, more than the amp really. An analytic can, or one with a severely rolled of low end will likely never please a bass head. And an E11 wouldn't fair any better there. No Amp out there will really change that, and EQing that heavily will likely hurt the rest of the freq response. However, it would be pleanty for a can that a person is largely happy with, and just wanted a bit more bottom end. This is, of course, my opinion.

May 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #56 of 131
Quote:
I liked the beyers too and they were very comfortable but were sonically obsolete for edm

IMO that is not true...great for EDM, its their best genre! 

May 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #57 of 131
i would cross out the esw9a, its too polite n mellow.
sell yur pet cockatoo n buy a pro900.
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #58 of 131
Quote:
Ultrasone HFI 580. Period, affordable, easy to drive and good for all that you want. 

It has great highs already but if you want clearer highs, then a slight EQ may be needed for perfection(to a level). 

Keep in mind that Skrillex plays poorly on any system I have heard. His bass...just sucks.. The way he does it. I've tried it on consumer speakers with a 120W RMS subwoofer on high power...no dice, XB500(omg) with a huge bass EQ, and some others and it's laughable. His bass just isn't punchy and doesn't sound good period on his actual dubstep songs. His others with more beats and vocals are fine though. So if you listen to Skrillex, it ain't the headhone's fault. Otherwise with real bassy dubstep, the HFI 580's are it!

Yea... I feel ya there. I've never liked his music to begin with and now I know why :D
Quote:
The XB series are good at rumbling bass but horrid at sound in general. Modding gives them normal sound but you won't find the quality that audiophile headhones give for actual listening purposes.

If you have the money I would say maybe go try an E11(from Amazon so you can return in case), but remember you might get a restocking fee so read up on the e11 and others first.

Yea the Sony XB700 is Sub and 500 is mid, and as Bowei said. They are great for bass, and only when you mod them are they suffcient with everything else. The big problem I have with them is that everything sounds just ok... except for Electronica, so don't make the mistake I did and buy them as your first real Can other wise you'll be limited to only LOVING one genre of music, as I have many instrumentals I LOVE but with the XB series well there only enjoyable xD not great sadly
Quote:
Meh, go with the Fiio E6 for <$30. I don't think your cans need the power the E11 has, and the E6 has different EQ options. The E11 has two very decent, non-bleed sub bass bumps. The E6 can actually add warmth by boosting sub and mid bass, or play flat with no EQ, so works with different cans. Should give you the bass boost you want. I have both of them, and they are both good amps, but the E6 gets me what I need for my low impedance cans. I break out the E11 or Meier 2Stepdance for my 150+ ohm cans.

I have an E6 and with the Sony XB700... there's still not enough Sub Bass, it's better but still it could improve a good bit. An yes the Mid bass is pretty nice with the XB700 and the E6... I have some songs that are just insane!
Quote:

Ahh sounds wonderful! I like the E6 but the bass boost is not enough for me, and my cans are BUILT for Sub Bass and nothing elese really sadly xD so that being said, and E11 would do me a world of good I hope :3

May 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #59 of 131
Well it requires a direct comparison of hfi 580 and beyer dt770/80 to know. Im wondering if you demod the hfi 580? If you had then that is acceptable for the OP to note. Otherwise my views on the two stay where the beyer is a very good and comfortable can but is not as superior in EDM genres AS OPPOSED to the hfi 580. It has a more mellow passive signature AS OPPOSED to the slightly forward, "metalic" and agressive nature of the ultrasones which makes EDM pop.

The beyers had a problem with high frequency, i didnt get burned in models but other users told me that highs are a problem with the dt770/80 and not the 250ohm. I am talking super highs though, the highs i speak on dont appear often in edm but it is still to be included.

Beyers dt770-80 also had more bass quantity but less quality. Its not nearly as punchy, extended or controlled.

My E17 is similar to E11 in terms of amp portions and thats what i used so honstly an hfi 580 and E11 for $200 would be nice.

Plus you need an amp with beyers anyway. An ipod has JUST enough volume to drive them.

My opinion by the way

Comfort is a big con for ultrasone. However if you can deal with 780 then you are fine but i loce beyer confort

And thanks mshenay :)

May 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #60 of 131
Quote:
Yo.  I like them. They are good.  They are really clear on the high end.  I think that some other people were right when they commented that the 780's are a little sharp(?) on the high end, until you burn them in.  I haven't burnt them in yet, but when the high notes come hitting, my ears can be hurt a little.  The bass is really clear, but no so powerful.  I'm a bit disappointed as many people said these had a deep powerful bass.  

The bass is certainly is clear and I think that other people have commented on its retraction (?).  I forgot the real word, but I think that people were saying that the bass hit when it was supposed to hit, and then left as quickly as it should without dragging on.  I believe that the 780's do that well.

The other headphones that I have to compare these to are (forgive me) Dre Beats.  They had some rumbling bass.  I loved that.  I have been told that the reason that the Beats use batteries is because they have a built in amp so I will build a portable amp and see how that drives the 780's.  Maybe that's my only problem.  Anyways, they are good headphones.  Not up to par with what I was expecting for $250 headphones, but I'm hoping that this is simply an amp problem.  Also, I haven't listened to the beats in like 8 months, so maybe I'm mistaking the beats to be better than I remember.  I will find out.  The cable length is 1 meter.  Thanks for all your help Malevolent.
I'm not sure how to compare that claim, as I've never heard the 580's.  The 580's have a 50 MM neodymium driver whereas the 780's only have a 40 MM driver.  I'll have to try the xb700's next time I'm at a store that I can do that.

Yes, the 580 and 780 have a good treble spark for a pair of basshead cans. My ears are not very fond of high treble notes, so I almost always EQ that down. Still, the clarity of the 580s are what gives it its position as a really good can for EDM. Its ability to handle fast paced music with good, tight bass control is admirable. I've auditioned the 780 several times now, and I like the sound it reproduces. The bass isn't as punchy as the 580s, but the overall sound is improved. Like I said, though, the treble spark is still there, and as always, I'll have to tone that down. I much prefer my headphones sounding dark and bassy - a nice V shape without less emphasis on the treble. :)

After many hours of using my 580s (probably about 50 hours worth, at least), the highs on my 580s are still prevalent. I'm doubting the treble presentation of the 780s will change much as it was still quite sharp on the well burnt-in audition pair I've tried.

Are you using an amp with the 780s, btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back