Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo
Sep 23, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:
OP is looking at a niche tuned sound. Current cans are tuned to 3 predominant factors: 1) More bass 2) Aesthetics 3) Forgiving to compressed/poorly mastered audio content. I'm being extreme, but it's how I see the bottom line.
OP is looking for what used to be the trendy stuff back in the day 1) Neutral 2) Correct timbre 3) Musical + 4) Reproduction of voices with wide range. I'm probably extrapolating here also, but I'm not sure, from the listed cans on poll which model really fits this bill. 

Am I the only one thinking that you just accurately described one of the headphones in the original poll?

HD600.

I use mine for a lot of genres - but it really does shine with both classical and opera.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #47 of 53
HD650s are phenomenol with opera.  I'm listening to Turandot at the moment.  The benefit of the 600 or the 650 is the laid back soundstage.  As if you are in the orchestra seats at the opera house, the singing is in front of you, and the music is all around you.  It really is a nice way to listen to opera.  And since HD650s are generally forward with voices, the opera singers really get "center stage" with these headphones.

I listen to all genres and dabble in some opera every so often, and I definitely use the HD650s for opera.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #49 of 53
I am over the top here - I really, really love the HE-400's. I am using the Radiotechnique 12AU7 1956 cryogenically treated platinum grade tube on my EF5. Also installed the velour pads, which is indeed a nice upgrade. I am just thrilled to be honest. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #50 of 53
Hey OP, have the HE400s and W4s too! They're both great, but I should really stress that while I prefer the HE400s for almost everything else, vocals (opera, choral) and some acoustic just sound a bit better with the HD6xx series. Richer and more integrated mids. But, still, I hope that you enjoy the HE400s. They are just fantastic, not just for the price, but in the grand scheme of the headphone world.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #51 of 53
I haven't spent much time with the HD650's, so it is hard for me to really say what I think of them, but I remember thinking they needed some heft - they did not impress me like the HD800's did. The real reason for why I am truly hesitant towards them is that the guy who mixes our operas uses them, and I hate his mixes, lol! I also think they are about the ugliest quality headphones on the market (especially the HD600, which I haven't heard). I really think the HifiMan headphones look really nice and sturdy - I like the feel. The EF5 seems to really create the vitality I was looking for in the vocal tone, I think tubes are just the way to go for me. I do hear where my setup is not a clear and crisp as with for example the K550's I had home, which were terribly thin and shrill in the treble, but incredibly clear with acoustic music.  Just not what I was looking for, and not good for opera.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:
I am over the top here - I really, really love the HE-400's. I am using the Radiotechnique 12AU7 1956 cryogenically treated platinum grade tube on my EF5. Also installed the velour pads, which is indeed a nice upgrade. I am just thrilled to be honest. 

Congratulations!  Now, back to La Fanciulla del West.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back