Best headphones for my requirements (5 choices)?
Sep 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #17 of 32
I got Phonak PFE132

Lacks bass but has it where needed.

Clarity is definetly there, music comes out as it should and instrument separation is great.

i listen to pop, dance and so on and these headphones are not that great for it as they dont produce great amount of bass.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #19 of 32
I have the Phonaks and they're definitely competent (using the grey filter).  I prefer my Etymotic HF2s (same as the HF5 but with a mic).  The midrange is better and overall they sound more musical.

The Phonaks are more comfortable (even with comply tips on both) but don't supply the same degree of isolation as the HF2.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #20 of 32
They come with comply tips but i did not like them.

Just using silicon tips and black filter for more bass.

still lacks a bit comparing to S4i

i tried Sony XBA3 today and i have to say they are not bad.

Bass is more powerful, mids and treble go louder without distortion.

however something at highs that didnt quite sound clear comparing to Phonak.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #21 of 32
If you order the PFE122 from their site, you get a free set of accessories:
http://www.audeoworld.com/en/US/Products/PFEwithMicrophone/AudeoPFE12.htm

They also offer a 30-day money-back-guarantee if you done like em, and have free shipping to the EU countries they list in the webshop (not sure where you live, but Earth isn't listed :wink: )

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #22 of 32
Personally, I'd lean toward PFE122 over GR07 - if only due to the extra sibilance in the latter which is impossible to correct by equalization. (Hopefully improved in GR07 mkII which I haven't heard. Note: PFE112 [not a typo] has a similar issue.)
Highs rolloffs are pretty similar, GR07 has a bit of a midbass boost, while PFE122 has slightly earlier (but better than Brainwavz B2) subbass rolloff.
GR07 soundstaging without EQ is a bit weird - wide but limited in depth and height with higher mids moved slightly further, lower mids slightly closer. EQ improves this noticeably. PFE122 renders depth better and is more coherent, however is a bit narrower - also preferred by me, as too wide stage sounds wrong I think.

GR07's fit is a bit more finicky, as the squarish body is larger and "effective nozzle length" is shorter - the swiveling nozzle helps a bit though. Both have a similar nozzle size (3mm vs 3,5mm). PFE122 has slightly better build quality, but GR07 is respectable too.

Ety HF2/HF5 would be fine if not for the forwardness (which distorts soundstaging a lot) and large lack of bass decay. (but not volume)
--
Nozzle size is not related to jack size. Nozzle is the sound exit of the IEM, the part you have to put into the ear canal and onto which you get to put a sleeve / tip / adapter usually made out of silicone, rubber or foam.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 32
To my ears, the pfe122 lacks a bit of bass for some genres you listed: techno and electronic (videogames/movies/YouTube), rap, hip-hop, and pop.

For that reason, I'll pick the GR07 over the 122. I also like the hf2/3/5 better than the Phonak, since I found them to have a better bass texture and a more vivid forward sound, despite their shortcomings in treble extension.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 32
I did more research, and I found myself looking at the following options in no particular order (IE8s are there because I have a discount)

1. Sony MDR-EX600
2. VSonic GR07
4. Sennheiser IE8
5. Phonak Audeo PFE122
6. Yamaha EPH-100SL
7. HiFiMan RE262

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 32
Both are great IEMs and both do all genres generally well. If you're planning on using the RE262 without an amp, just forget it. They REALLY like being amped and are a bit picky as well. I liked the GR07, but I never liked them as much as the PFE112. The PFE112 just seems like the better package IMO. And I always thought the GR07 sounded a bit too bland for my tastes, I just couldn't have fun with them as much as I did with the PFE112. Now I have the PFE232 and once again, I am completely sold. Either way, you can't go wrong because they are both very good IEMs for the price.

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 32
I have the IE80's and the RE262's. I don't have the IE8's but I hope the 80's are a close enough comparison. Anyway, because we listen to the same genres of music, I am going to tell you straight away that the RE262's are NOT what you're looking for. The fit is amazing yes but I love the 262's because of the emphasis on vocals - it does a fabulous job with them. However, when it comes to pop, hip hop, rap or anything with a strong bass, the 262's are not going to do those types of music justice. Good bass is just not there. To be fair I have read that some people think the best sound does not come out of the RE262's without a portable amp. I don't use one so it is what it is. Having said that, I own the IE80's because they do the exact opposite of the 262's. Serious bass and absolutely a pleasure to listen to with any kind of pop, drum and bass, rap, rock etc. As for the fit of the IE80's, I would say that I only found a good seal and comfy fit after I swapped out the stock tips with the long single flange tips from an old pair of MEElectronics M11's. I haven't owned or tried any of the others on your list. I actually found isolation to be good on both but that might be because I blast the hell our of my music. 
etysmile.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:
I have the IE80's and the RE262's. I don't have the IE8's but I hope the 80's are a close enough comparison. Anyway, because we listen to the same genres of music, I am going to tell you straight away that the RE262's are NOT what you're looking for. The fit is amazing yes but I love the 262's because of the emphasis on vocals - it does a fabulous job with them. However, when it comes to pop, hip hop, rap or anything with a strong bass, the 262's are not going to do those types of music justice. Good bass is just not there. To be fair I have read that some people think the best sound does not come out of the RE262's without a portable amp. I don't use one so it is what it is. Having said that, I own the IE80's because they do the exact opposite of the 262's. Serious bass and absolutely a pleasure to listen to with any kind of pop, drum and bass, rap, rock etc. As for the fit of the IE80's, I would say that I only found a good seal and comfy fit after I swapped out the stock tips with the long single flange tips from an old pair of MEElectronics M11's. I haven't owned or tried any of the others on your list. I actually found isolation to be good on both but that might be because I blast the hell our of my music. 
etysmile.gif

Thanks for your input. I have taken the 262s off my list, since I won't be using EQs or AMPs. I was thinking the IE8s were my best option, but I wanted to ask the Head-Fi community just to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back