Best headphones for my requirements (5 choices)?
Sep 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

snappyaxolotl

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been thinking about buying in-ear headphones, IEMs/Earbuds/Earclips/Earhooks. I am currently searching for a pair that is under $200. Some factors I will be considering:

UPDATE: I'm deciding between the VSonic GR07 and the Phonak Audeo PFE122. Please cast your votes in the poll and/or comment!

UPDATE: I did more research, and I found myself looking at the following options (IE8s are there because I have a discount)

1. Sony MDR-EX600
2. VSonic GR07
3. Sennheiser IE8
4. Phonak Audeo PFE122
5. Yamaha EPH-100SL
6. HiFiMan RE262

Accessories-
I usually don’t use the accessories too much except maybe the carrying case and the sports clip, and perhaps the foam tips or silicon adapters if the headphones do include accessories. The only question I can ask is how good they work with the headphones.

Build Quality-
I want these in ears to last as long as possible. I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them a lot-from listening to my Sansa Clip+ to conferencing my friends on Skype. Every time I leave the house, I put on my headphones to listen to music and pass the time. I know Sennheiser has a great reputation for build quality.

Noise Isolation-
Not a huge deal, but nice if included. While it is nice to filter out outside noise such as car engine noise or people talking elsewhere, I do often talk to people with my headphones in my ear, and I would like to hear if a car is coming by when I go outside, so it doesn’t matter much.

Microphonics-
I never found microphonics a huge problem when listening to music, but it certainly does matter. I will sometimes mess with my headphones, tangle them, wrap them, and untangle them when they get tangled because they’re a mess.

Comfort-
I will be wearing my headphones for hours of time, once I listened to 200+ songs without removing my headphones! I want my headphones to feel as if it were cushioning my ear or is just simply not there anymore.

Sound Quality-
I will be listening to classical music, techno and electronic (videogames/movies/YouTube), rap, hip-hop, and pop. I will also be using it to watch videos, play movies, conference, chat on the phone via Skype or smartphone, and when playing video games.

Value-
To me, $200 is quite a large investment. I want every single cent to be worth its price. Also, I don’t want fakes.

Brand reputation-
When I buy a product, the quality of it will depend some on its brand reputation. I found Sennheiser to be the most respected name right now, but Shure, Grado, AKG, AudioTechnica, Phonak Audeo, Denon, and Soundmagic don't seem to bad either.

Sound Signature-
I like euphonic, juicy and lush and sturdy music. I value accuracy, clarity, and pay attention to low sounds. I would like my sound to be balanced, gripped, and brilliant. Punchy bass and treble is important.

Does anyone know which headphones are best suited for my requirements? I will be listening to music on a Sandisk Sansa Clip+. The headphones will be purchased through Amazon. 

Which headphones are best suited for me? Thanks to all replies I receive!

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 32
The GR07, Sony EX7550, RE272, XBA4 and GR01 are very well built and last long with very good soundquality.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:
I've been looking at the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass (PFE) 122. Are there any other options that would suit me well?

Phonak is a good name. They make great IEM's. I've never heard a pair but they are well respected around here. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:
The GR07, Sony EX7550, RE272, XBA4 and GR01 are very well built and last long with very good sound quality.

I've been looking at the VSonic GR07, they seem really good and praised everywhere, I've never heard anything bad about those. They seem really good for its value, and compare with headphones 2x+ its price.

Quote:

Phonak is a good name. They make great IEM's. I've never heard a pair but they are well respected around here. 

I've heard of Phonak before, coming from reviews of the PFE232. They seem like a well reputed brand, and I think they're worth investing money in.

Is there anything else <$200 on Amazon that I should be adding to my list to consider? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 32
Here are a few ideas that aren't on the list:
  1. Dunu Tai Chi: warmer sound, very impressive though with good linearity overall.  Tunable using tips and dampers to adjust bass and treble response (included).
  2. Etymotic HF-series: colder brighter sound overall.  Lower bass presence.  Filters are available (third party, no clue if it will void any warranties; so ask CS before you do) to tune the treble.
  3. Brainwavz B2: brighter sound with strong impact in the bass and good depth.  Sweet, upfront midrange.
  4. Phonak PFE (already on your list): a cross between the Etymotic and Dunu.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
Here are a few ideas that aren't on the list:
  1. Dunu Tai Chi: warmer sound, very impressive though with good linearity overall.  Tunable using tips and dampers to adjust bass and treble response (included).
  2. Etymotic HF-series: colder brighter sound overall.  Lower bass presence.  Filters are available (third party, no clue if it will void any warranties; so ask CS before you do) to tune the treble.
  3. Brainwavz B2: brighter sound with strong impact in the bass and good depth.  Sweet, upfront midrange.
  4. Phonak PFE (already on your list): a cross between the Etymotic and Dunu.

The Brainwavz B2 and Etymotic HF5 seemed nice, going to compare to the PFE122

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 32
Phonak PFE 122 (w Grey filter) is not as boosted in lower highs (3-6k) as Brainwavz B2 and has slightly more even mids. I find its signature closer to flat and less in need of equalization.
Etymotic HF5 is more mid-forward than both of the above (notable 1-2kHz boost), bit more relaxed in presence region and less hot than Brainwavz B2 around 5kHz; also has reduced bass and especially less decay there. Less noisy detailing in the highest end than B2, but not Phonak.

Dunu Tai Chi - I've never heard this specific model, however other of this brand like Dunu Trident or Ares are noticeably warmer than any of the abovementioned models and have reduced highs in the presence region. So-called non-fatiguing sound.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 32
Phonak PFE 122 (w Grey filter) is not as boosted in lower highs (3-6k) as Brainwavz B2 and has slightly more even mids. I find its signature closer to flat and less in need of equalization.
Etymotic HF5 is more mid-forward than both of the above (notable 1-2kHz boost), bit more relaxed in presence region and less hot than Brainwavz B2 around 5kHz; also has reduced bass and especially less decay there. Less noisy detailing in the highest end than B2, but not Phonak.

Dunu Tai Chi - I've never heard this specific model, however other of this brand like Dunu Trident or Ares are noticeably warmer than any of the abovementioned models and have reduced highs in the presence region. So-called non-fatiguing sound.

I didn't find the B2s as flat as you say. I didn't hear a boost in the low highs (2-3k region) with the B2s either. I actually got a dip there (PFE did have the boost).

I'll agree with the rest though. I didn't find the highs lacking in presence with the Tai Chi, but did find them rolling off a little earlier.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 32
Actually yes, B2 aren't that flat to my ears either. :) Slow rolloff < 80 Hz, cut in 1-2k, major boost in 3k-6k centered at 4k, and slow rolloff starting with 13k, extension up to 17.5k. (Referenced to 500 Hz)
Personally I find the 2.5-3k region correct. I consider 300 Hz - 3k mids.

Yes, PFE 122 are more linear. (with either Green or Grey; Black is pretty terrible.)

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:
Actually yes, B2 aren't that flat to my ears either. :) Slow rolloff < 80 Hz, cut in 1-2k, major boost in 3k-6k centered at 4k, and slow rolloff starting with 13k, extension up to 17.5k. (Referenced to 500 Hz)
Personally I find the 2.5-3k region correct. I consider 300 Hz - 3k mids.

Yes, PFE 122 are more linear. (with either Green or Grey; Black is pretty terrible.)

Ah, gotcha...  

I didn't find the 122s linear with green.  If I were to do a rough signature (with just bass, mids and highs), it would look like this:

Green
}} B
} M
} H

Black
}} B
} M
}} H

Grey
} B
} M
} H

Note the greys aren't perfectly flat, but if you average stuff out, it seems very linear.  Highs do roll off a tad bit early, same with lows. I should note that I'm using an 022 with the filters, not a 122/132. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back