Best headphones for a 13 year old?
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:
I hope that clears it up, and nobody else got the wrong idea.

smile.gif
  Don't even remember you saying anything negative, so it's all good.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #32 of 47
yeah I say get him some v-moda m80s if you can find a cheap pair or maybe v-moda crossfades since he might enjoy the consumer sound signature more. I would recommend other headphones but since he is a kid, durability is a huge factor if you want the product to last. I advise you to buy headphones that have a removable cable, cause when the cable gets damaged, you wont really have much of a choice but to trash the set.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Or maybe he wants to join a posse. You never know. I'm only 19, but every time I look back at this younger generation, I can't help but shake my head at the things they do.

Well, that's just the old dog syndrome ha! I'm 25 and frown upon kids your age, and I'm sure 35 year old guys frown upon me haha

But yes, one has to understand life is about going trough al the steps, one at a time. We all bought some kind of useless crap when we were younger, and enjoyed it out of ignorance (ignorance is a bliss isn't it? :) ).

The kid wants the Beats because they're the hype right now, not because he cares how they sound or perhaps even how they look. If he gets the Nonotec Zoros, then maybe he'll have the better sound, but also then maybe his friends will laugh at him for getting "cheap fake ones", even though they might sound better. Skullcandy's are next in line, the good thing about this brand is that there are cheaper models.

So encourage him to do some "googling" about "good headphones" and wait if that changes his perception. If not, just get him something that looks "trendy", it's either Beats or Skullcandy, and fits your budget.

Oh by the way, +1 on the V-Modas, show them to him to see if he likes them, those cans look great and sound decent.

:)

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #34 of 47
This thread reminds me of something. I never get christmas gift, I only get it during my birthday but that's not the point. Elecktrospeed is right.

"If he gets the Nonotec Zoros, then maybe he'll have the better sounds, but also then maybe his friends will laugh at him for getting "cheap fake ones", even though they might sound better."

If you wanted to buy him headphones under $100, to me it's great! If I wanted something more expensive I will be willing to add in my own money from my saving accounts to get what I wanted. Also, it depends if your son likes wearing his headphone outdoor. If he does there might be some bad teenagers will laugh at him.

So it really depends on what he wants, where he gonna use it at.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:
He says that they sound much better than his friend's Beats.

And of course, you knew they would before you even gave them to him. 
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:
Well, that's just the old dog syndrome ha! I'm 25 and frown upon kids your age, and I'm sure 35 year old guys frown upon me haha

But yes, one has to understand life is about going trough al the steps, one at a time. We all bought some kind of useless crap when we were younger, and enjoyed it out of ignorance (ignorance is a bliss isn't it? :) ).

The kid wants the Beats because they're the hype right now, not because he cares how they sound or perhaps even how they look. If he gets the Nonotec Zoros, then maybe he'll have the better sound, but also then maybe his friends will laugh at him for getting "cheap fake ones", even though they might sound better. Skullcandy's are next in line, the good thing about this brand is that there are cheaper models.

So encourage him to do some "googling" about "good headphones" and wait if that changes his perception. If not, just get him something that looks "trendy", it's either Beats or Skullcandy, and fits your budget.

Oh by the way, +1 on the V-Modas, show them to him to see if he likes them, those cans look great and sound decent.

:)

Of all the things that I've ever sought for, the one completely useless object that I wanted and got was one stuffed dog. This was before I started grade school. Can't say I've received many presents to begin with. That being said, of the ones that I've received, most of them are useless objects.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
the one completely useless object that I wanted and got was one stuffed dog.

Stuffed dogs are fun!

Quote:
Oh, yeah! 
biggrin.gif

I demoed them first, and then ordered me some HFI-780s (hehe). 

Spoken like a true Head-Fi dad!  Good man!

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:
I know its Christmas and he is going to make out pretty good this year even if he does not get his beats and has to settle for something else. So far for the big gifts he is getting is an ipad2, iphone 4, black opsII, Assassin's Creed 3 and for the family 27" iMac. So if he really wants those Beats he better be saving that money it is just not happening this Christmas lol.

Will you adopt me please???

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #41 of 47
Seriously,

a. Be careful if you go with used or inexpensive Beats.  There are lots of counterfeit Beats out there and, as poor as I think the real Monster Beats sound, the counterfeit ones sound even worse.  Some of the fake ones are uncomfortable to wear; what good is that?   Also if you ever need warranty support, like a replacement cable, Monster will not support these fake units.  So caveat emptor.

b. I got my 12 year old some Bose QC-II's at Cos_co last year.  He likes them a lot and they have what he perceives to be a "full and rich" sound.  They were just under $100.00 on sale. They have not failed in almost a year of use and abuse.  Not a bad sounding headphone for an "on the ear" type and far better than fake Beats.

c. If your kid is anything like my kids he is not going to be careful with his toys.  A 13 y/o Head-fi-er might be different -- no disrespect intended toward the younger folks reading this website who take this hobby very seriously (I'm 56 so anyone under 40 is in that group) , So get something that is well built (strong/rugged) and has a good warranty.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
maybe the jvc ha-s500?
they have numerous reviews and enough deep bass for the pop and rap music

I have the S500s. While they do have a good sound for a headphone that is designed to be very portability, keep in mind that the people that are talking them up have also generally changed out the earpads. They are also not for sale in the US yet, which makes returning a faulty set or warranty work a problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back