Best headphones for a 13 year old?
Nov 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:
I guess I am not sure? Are the boys that age wearing one more than the other? When I put in amazon over ear beats a brand named Skullcandy came up. Is that a good brand? It has decent reviews and is cheap ;o)

Aviators are good, but still overpriced. So are the Mix-Masters. Don't know about the other Skullcandies but others have few good things to say about them.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:
I want to get my son headphones for Christmas for under $100. He will use them pretty much for his ipod to listen to music and ipad to watch movies. The ones I have looked at are Sony MDR-V6, Sennheiser HD-280 pro headphones and Sony MDR-XB500. Which one of those would be the best fit for him? Or is there something else out there that is better? He really wants the Beats but I am not spending that much plus the ones I have mentioned seem to have better reviews on amazon. Please help me pick him out a decent pair of headphones! I know if I pick one out it will probably not be what a 13 year old would pick out lol. Thank you :xf_eek:)  

Why not give your son some money so he can shop for a pair of headphones himself (or save for the Beats)? If he really wants Beats, then everything else is probably going to be a disappointment for him. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but the Brand is also a big factor for young people. You can buy cheap clothes at Wal Mart, but teenagers want their own style. Now Beats is the big thing, and they all want it. Maybe he is even lucky to find them on sale when the Christmas season is over too.

Also, how about bringing him to a place where he can demo various headphones? Who knows, maybe he'll put aside his bias towards Beats when he listens to other headphones as well.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:
I know its Christmas and he is going to make out pretty good this year even if he does not get his beats and has to settle for something else. So far for the big gifts he is getting is an ipad2, iphone 4, black opsII, Assassin's Creed 3 and for the family 27" iMac. So if he really wants those Beats he better be saving that money it is just not happening this Christmas lol.

Your kid is spoiled. I rarely get anything for my birthday or Christmas presents. He needs a reality check. Tell him if he wants something he needs to do research and justify why you should get the product for him.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want Beats when 8 of his classmates wear the exact same headphones when they return to school after xmas, lol.

Or maybe he wants to join a posse. You never know. I'm only 19, but every time I look back at this younger generation, I can't help but shake my head at the things they do.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 47
Demo'ing is a really good idea. Will give him a reality check re: price point / value / brand gimmickry. And he might find something he likes (might backfire though, costwise!). The reality is that Beats & Skullcandy consumers pay for the name, and the look.

Skullcandy make very styled out headphones that are very fashionable with younger people, but aren't taken very seriously round here. Beats, while a good spec are generally thought to be overpriced in hi-fi terms, too. Again, the cool factor costs extra. They target similar markets, and that's why they were probably paired on your list. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Your kid is spoiled. I rarely get anything for my birthday or Christmas presents. He needs a reality check. Tell him if he wants something he needs to do research and justify why you should get the product for him.

Yes he is spoiled to an extent. As you can see except for the games he is not getting the newest stuff. The iphone 4 is free (right now he has a prepaid phone with no minutes on it). It is going to be cheaper to add him to our plan. I upgraded to the ipad 3 got it used from ebay so he is just going to get my used ipad2. The iMac I am getting from a friend for heck of a deal because she cant figure out how to use it and we need a desktop. He is in some type of sport all year long and gets straight A's in school. He also works to earn his money and has a savings account. He does know the value of money and is a pretty darn good kid. I am a bargain shopper and thats why I am having a hard time buying those Beats when I know there is better quality out there for a cheaper price. Even though the Beats is what he wants he knows it is something I would never buy unless I can find it used really cheap lol.  

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:
Yes he is spoiled to an extent. As you can see except for the games he is not getting the newest stuff. The iphone 4 is free (right now he has a prepaid phone with no minutes on it). It is going to be cheaper to add him to our plan. I upgraded to the ipad 3 got it used from ebay so he is just going to get my used ipad2. The iMac I am getting from a friend for heck of a deal because she cant figure out how to use it and we need a desktop. He is in some type of sport all year long and gets straight A's in school. He also works to earn his money and has a savings account. He does know the value of money and is a pretty darn good kid. I am a bargain shopper and thats why I am having a hard time buying those Beats when I know there is better quality out there for a cheaper price. Even though the Beats is what he wants he knows it is something I would never buy unless I can find it used really cheap lol.  

Fair enough.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #26 of 47
Seriously, we should not talk about or comment on the kid or anything not about headphones, especially calling the kid 'spoilt' and telling the kid to get a 'reality check'.

You never know what kid of a personal situation the family is in, I don't approve mbang's reply calling the kid spoilt and three4me should not have to explain his personal family situations to us just to defend himself. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:
Just get him the Beats, man. It's Christmas.

Well, no.  Please don't.  They're not particularly good headphones - at any price - and so IMO that would be doing the boy a disservice.

Quote:
Thank you! I will look into these. He mainly listens to rap and pop. But also listens to Country and Rock.

Great!  Now we're getting somewhere!

Quote:
I guess I am not sure? Are the boys that age wearing one more than the other? When I put in amazon over ear beats a brand named Skullcandy came up. Is that a good brand? It has decent reviews and is cheap ;o)

Lord no!  As Mbamg said, outside of the ROC Aviators and MixMasters (both of which are outside of the prescribed budget), there aren't really any good Skullcandy headphones.  You'd be doing both you and your son a favor by forgetting that brand exists for a while.

Quote:
Your kid is spoiled.

Um, okay.  Let's not go there. 
smile.gif
  We don't know what the kid is like.  Maybe he's like a straight-A student, stays out of trouble, concentrates on productive activities like sports or what not.  Maybe he even knows the value of a dollar by doing neighborhood chores and saving money,  Who knows?  The point is, we're here to recommend headphone, not parental advice.

Quote:
He is in some type of sport all year long and gets straight A's in school. He also works to earn his money and has a savings account. He does know the value of money and is a pretty darn good kid.

smile.gif

Quote:
I am a bargain shopper and thats why I am having a hard time buying those Beats when I know there is better quality out there for a cheaper price. Even though the Beats is what he wants he knows it is something I would never buy unless I can find it used really cheap lol.  

If $100 is a hard limit than how much does a decent pair cost?

Honestly, a decent pair wouldn't need to be anywhere near $100.  What I am mainly concerned about right now is how to integrate the cool factor into our recommendations

Okay, before we go on, I feel compelled to tell you a couple things about all of us here.  By and large, we consider sound quality of paramount importance in choosing and recommending headphones.  There are certain times when a specific requirement trumps that (portability, noise-cancelling, etc.),  But for the most part, we stick to that.  Because of this, from time to time, we may recommend headphones that are not quite so attractive (but sound great).  For most grown-ups - and some mature upstanding youth - this is not a problem at all.  But for a lot of young men just entering their teens - having ugly headphones can be the source of unnecessary ridicule.  So having said all that...

If you can stretch your budget just a bit, the V-Moda M-80 would most likely be the ideal choice.  If not, then we're on an adventurous road to find a good balance between what is cosmetically-acceptable to the mainstream (and sonically acceptable to people who care about sound quality). 

I mention the Pioneer HDJ-500 because it looks rather unique and relatively cool, doesn't look like a cheap substitute, and maintains some semblance of an acceptable sound signature.

I mention the Pioneer SE-MJ751 because it has a rather unique feature in it.  There are two extra bass drivers (one on each side) that can be turned on/off at will - depending on how much bass he wants at the moment.  This makes it kind of cool (in and of itself).  In addition, it will allow him to tailor the sound of the headphones to the genre he's listening to at the time.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
Seriously, we should not talk about or comment on the kid or anything not about headphones, especially calling the kid 'spoilt' and telling the kid to get a 'reality check'.

You never know what kid of a personal situation the family is in, I don't approve mbang's reply calling the kid spoilt and three4me should not have to explain his personal family situations to us just to defend himself. 

+1

three4me, please allow me to express my regret concerning that as well.  Whatever other circumstances may exist - good or bad - are frankly none of our business whatsoever.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #29 of 47
By the 'reality check' comment, I meant : discovering that the Beats sacrifice substance for style and that there are other, better headphones at that price point.

I was NOT claiming to know about the kid's life or upbringing. I'm a headphone enthusiast, and that's what I come here to do.

I hope that clears it up, and nobody else got the wrong idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back