Best headphone under 100$
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Adahyl

New Head-Fier
First of all hi everybody, I'm glad to join the forum.
I have never had any experience when it comes to headphones only ipod's ear-in and notebook's speakers.

My main goal is to listen music, I don't listen to nothing with much bass, generally John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Guns, Bon Jovi, some classic music like bethoven and vivaldi for studying, and some musics that really focus on the vocal.

I'm going to use home mostly, but I like the music immersion that you get when you really feel the music inside your head I guess that immersion comes from the noise isolation I'm not sure.

Which headphone should I get, having $100 as really the top of what I can pay? I was thinking about Sennheiser HD280.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
I have never had any experience when it comes to headphones only ipod's ear-in and notebook's speakers.
My main goal is to listen music, I don't listen to nothing with much bass, generally John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Guns, Bon Jovi, some classic music like bethoven and vivaldi for studying, and some musics that really focus on the vocal.
I'm going to use home mostly, but I like the music immersion that you get when you really feel the music inside your head I guess that immersion comes from the noise isolation I'm not sure.
Which headphone should I get, having $100 as really the top of what I can pay? I was thinking about Sennheiser HD280

KRK KNS 8400.
Sony ZX700

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Dunno about the 280, but my favorite for least expensive, entry level phone is the Sony XB500 for $49 on Amazon. It deals well with poor source material and lack of amplification. I don't have a good portable rig, and don't plan on getting one. For road trips, I used to use the ATH-M50  straight out of my iPhone, but now I actually prefer the Sony. MP3's sound less brash and artificial. I listen to all genres including classical and rock. IMO, the bass sounds good, and doesn't overpower. Of course, YMMV

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 19
Welcome to Head-Fi ... and as said to all newbies ...'sorry 'bout your wallet' .
Tons of choices out there - one of my still favorite starter phones that will meet your discerning music tastes that you briefly outlined is the"
Alessandro MS-1 - still only $99.00 and that includes all shipping and delivery costs. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 19
Koss Pro DJ100 could be another option. Really good bang for your dollar. They have a overly decent soundstage which will help you immerse yourself into the music. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 19
Grado SR80i is a great choice as well for $100, or you can save $20 and go with the SR60i for $80.

I recently purchased the SR80is and once they burned in....I was VERY happy for $100 spent.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Which headphone should I get, having $100 as really the top of what I can pay? I was thinking about Sennheiser HD280.

Your tastes in music are fairly wide.  I'd recommend a set that is somewhat neutral in sound reproduction and has at least a decent soundstage.

In this price range, I'd say do some research on the Sony ZX700, Sony MDR V6, KRK 6400 and AKG K240 Studio.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 19
+1 for the Sony MDR v6 and Grado SR80i. The lower model Sony MDR v55 and Grado SR60i have pretty good specs also.

You can read the side to side specs on a few of these headphones here:
http://deviceraters.com/top-3-headphones-under-100/

Sounds like you will be listening to alternative/rock so these headphones should fit well with the genre of music you listen to. Honestly, the Senns hd280 would be fine also.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 19
The best sub-$100 headphone I've heard is the Beyerdynamic DT 235. I haven't heard the SR60/SR80/MS1 but I'd expect them to be some of the better sub-$100 headphones out there. The Sony ZX700 I didn't like much at all and wouldn't recommend but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back