Best headphone & amp for ambient music
May 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #106 of 168
Heres some tunes http://soundcloud.com/jazzmoslounge p.s if you don't need a dac go for graham slee nova with hifiman he400.... Graham Slee Novo
graham-slee-novo.jpg
£255 100100 5

Best headphone amplifier Awards 2011. The Novo is an involving and addictive listen

Write your own review

1. Review
  2. Your Opinion
  3. Tech Specs
  1. For

Good with dynamics, tonally accomplished, great detailing, ease of use

2. Against

Takes a long time to run-in

We first tested the stylish little Graham Slee Novo back in January 2009 and loved it. Aesthetic simplicity seems to be the theme, with the Novo packing one volume control ?and one headphone input only.
After settling down from a bright sound during its running in, the Novo gives the listener a well-balanced audio with a crisp, clear treble that's quite brightly lit but holds no hint of stridency, a warm midrange that enhances emotion in music, and a springy, active bass that's well-formed and underpins everything nicely.
You are served great levels of detail here and production subtleties are handled excellently, even those mixed deep within the music.
In terms of dynamics, this feisty Novo can handle just about anything you can throw at it. Add a good sense of timing and essentially you've got everything you ?need in a headphone amplifier.
What really stands out for us is that it's such an involving listen – you can't help getting into whatever it's serving up.
It's worth bearing in mind that it's £15 less than the Lehmann Rhinelander headphone amp, while doing much of the same right. OK, it's slightly less flexible than some other amplifiers, in terms of its features, but with a sound as good as this, you're not going to mind.
If you are buying $400 headphones get the better headphone amps fiio are good but the graham slee novo is what you are looking for not fiio they are more for under $200 headphones and if you need a dac down the road go for the hrt music streamer 2! 

May 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #107 of 168
@extrabigmehdi

Thanks.I've heard Sony MDR-SA5000 some months ago, and as I remember it wasn't that brilliant.

@catscratch

Thanks for all of your suggestions and words.

@our martin

Thanks for your vote to HE-400 and about Graham Slee Novo, it seems really good but it is out of my budget.

May 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #108 of 168
The minimum you could spend on a source is on the FIIO E10. Or you you could get a soundcard just like the xonar stx, that's convenient if you listen on a pc.

Quote:
Thanks.I've heard Sony MDR-SA5000 some months ago, and as I remember it wasn't that brilliant.

Interesting. Lacking bass ? Otherwise I  don't understand why some members are praising it.
You see that when you test, it's much easier to see if it's worth it.

May 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #109 of 168
Quote:
@extrabigmehdi

@catscratch

Thanks for all of your suggestions and words.

@our martin

Thanks for your vote to HE-400 and about Graham Slee Novo, it seems really good but it is out of my budget.

Pro-Ject Head Box MKII
pro-ject-head-box-mkii.jpg
£105 100100 5

If you don't have a headphone out, plug the Head Box into a spare tape loop and you're away

Write your own review

1. Review
  2. Your Opinion
  3. Tech Specs
  1. For

Compact; good sound quality; affordable

2. Against

Nothing considering the price

'Turn that flippin' music down now!' Banish those big-volume blues with a decent pair of 'phones and the Pro-ject Head Box MkII.

If your amplifier doesn't have a headphone out, plug the Pro-Ject into a spare tape loop, and you're away. Even if you do have a 'phone out, the Head Box MkII sounds better, at least on sub-£500 kit. or this I would buy the he400 headphones new and check the sales forums on headfi for a headphone amp  
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f5/100x100px-LS-f5f5cb53_avatar-120-3.jpg[/img]
  1. sgupt
  2. Trader Feedback:0
  3. badge_headfier.v1305918899.png
  5. offline
  1. 70 Posts. Joined 9/2008
  2. Location: Ann Arbor, MI
  3. Select All Posts By This User

$110 [size=x-small](USD)[/size] or Best Offer
Send a Private Message
send a PM to take the next step.

[size=small]For Sale:[/size]
Meier Audio Corda Headfive amplifier

Will Ship To: USA

Next
Prev

Bought this in 09 I believe from a member here. It's got at least 4000 hours of play time, as I used it with my Beyer DT880s a helluvalot haha. I'm sad to be parting with it (especially love the cross-feed feature!), but I'm moving around a lot so I need a more portable setup (now using an asus xonar stx in my portable desktop).

It's got a few very light and faint scratches on the front, and overall is in excellent condition. Looking to get $110 for it, with actual shipping costs anywhere in the USA.

I haven't sold here in quite a while so I lost my feedback from before the forum transition. However, I have excellent heatware (linked to my head-fi) so you can buy with confidence!

/18/12 - last bumped: 2 weeks, 2 days ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7f/100x100px-LS-7fc55345_2745-wilson.JPG[/img]
  1. elrod-tom
  2. Trader Feedback:+9
  3. Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
  4. badge_moderator.v1305918906.png
  6. offline
  1. 10,478 Posts. Joined 7/2002
  2. Location: I live in the midrange!! (Metro Detroit Area)

$95 [size=x-small](USD)[/size] or Best Offer
Send a Private Message

Musical Fidelity V-Cans headphone amp

Will Ship To: United States

Next
Prev
No photos found.

Available for sale is a Musical Fidelity V-Cans headphone amp. This is the version I with the black case. It sounds great, does an especially nice job with low impedance cans like Grados, and represents one of the great values in headphone audio. The amp is in like new condition, and includes original packaging (if you want it..it's not that impressive). I'm selling it because I've been using it in a third system and it's just not getting enough use.

I'll accept Paypal (to confirmed ship-to addresses) or a postal money order, shipping to 48 contiguous US states (contact me about extra costs of shipping to Alaska and Hawaii) and insurance included at the asking price of $95.

Since I found the XLR jacks, I'm not nearly so unbalanced as I used to be!!

Five (or so) in heavy rotation:

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed (24/176) | Chet Baker - Chet (SACD) | The La's - S/T (Deluxe Edition) | Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (MFSL) | The Beatles - Rubber Soul (24-Bit)

ReplyQuotep.s Just a couple of examples

May 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #111 of 168
Quote:
@our martin

Thanks again, dear our martin for your helpful replay. Have you ever used Matrix M-stage with HE-400?

I am going to get the he400s for my hifiman hm 801 i normally use ultimate ears custom 18 pros when i am out and about but for indoors i will use the he400s! p.s is the matrix m-stage going cheap on the sales forums? 
It's supposed to be better than the little dot and fiio stuff and it's a nice size and that's always a good sign,i would snap it up and forget about fiio they make good portable dac/amp combos for stuff like the hd 25's, but for full size cans you can't beat full size headphone amps! 

May 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #112 of 168
HiFiMAN
EF-2A USB Headphone Amplifier
Department:Amplifiers
Brand: HiFiMAN
Our Price: $199.00 $169.00

add to cart

1. 4e31a9b73e0886cec2364f9090c3fa9e_200_160.jpg
  2. f8f5d110f401410e119c4fe287b3d4d3_200_160.jpg
  3. b6dbd600d4de14dc1b492a0b2fe13ed4_200_160.jpg
  4. 7d5f8139917a7b3ffcd55a76632c6bac_200_160.jpg

Click to enlarge image

Overview
An affordable alternative in a tube-driven headphone amplifier, the EF2A is a hybrid design, USB headphone amplifier using 6J1 tubes for its input stage and incorporates a Burr-Brown PCM2702 DAC Chip. The EF2A provides USB input and features 16 bit 44.1 kHz performance. Designed for discriminating music listeners who demand performance and value.

HIFIMAN EF2A is a hybrid USB headphone amplifier using 6J1 tubes as input stage. USB input support 16 bit, 44.1 kHz.

Specifications
Input Impedence: 47k
Output Impedence: 32-300 Ohm
Output at 32 Ohm: 3 v, 320 mw
Output at 150 Ohm: 6.2 v, 256
Freqency: 20-20khz +/- 0.2db
S/N: 95db
DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM2702
Tube: China 6J1 * 2 pcs
Input Voltage: 16 v to 18 v; 500 mA
Power Supply: 110 v or 220 v
Size: 14cm*8.5cm* 4.5cm or 5.6"* 3.4" * 1.8"

Shipping & Warranty
Shipping method:
To US, Canada and Russia: USPS
To any other countries: International Express mail (EMS, UPS, DHL or Fedex)

Warranty Policy:
30 days refund: shipping cost is not refundable.
1 year replacement.
The cost to ship a product back to us for repair, replacement, refund, exchange or upgrade is the responsibility of the consumer. The cost to return the product to the consumer is the responsibility of Head Direct/HiFiman

Newest Review

May 31, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #114 of 168
@goldoon & extrabigmehdi

I've asked Mike's (Headfonia) idea and here is a copy of our chats:

(Me)1.Hi Mike,
I’m looking for the best & most natural-sounding (a headphone which doesn’t add external qualities to the music as much as possible) headphone and an amp for about 600 $ for listening to Ambient/Noise music & I have come to these:
Hifiman HE-400
Shure SRH-1840
Sennheiser HD 600
AKG K550
AKG Q701
Stax SRS-2170
If none of them are good enough, which headphone (& amp) do you recommend?
Thanks in advance

(Mike)2.One answer:
Beyer DT880 600 ohm.

(Me)3.Sorry, but when I said most natural-sounded , I didn’t mean that much of naturalness .If you consider this point, you still recommend DT880?
Thanks in advance.

(Mike)4.The word natural means different things to different people.. It’s really hard for me to know what you really mean. But if you want something that doesn’t add anything to the music, you can try the DT880 Beyerdynamic.

(Me)5.Thanks.
I was afraid to choose DT880 because some people say it’s not able of nice sub-bass and somewhat lacking weight through the mids and also it’s a little bit treblish. But if you say it’s good enough for AMBIENT/NOISE music, I'll get it. But you forgot to recommend an amp too?

(Mike)6.I’m not saying that it’s going to be good for your music.
icon_smile.gif

No, seriously, I’m just saying that if you want something that doesn’t add anything to the music, then give the DT880 a try.
The comments with the headphone being trebly, lacking weight on the mids and bass are correct. That’s why some people prefer colored headphones that is more relaxed on the treble, fuller on the mids and weightier on the bass, like the HD650.
(here is a review just in case you want to read it: http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/)
As for the amp, go with the NwAvGuy O2 amp. http://www.headfonia.com/nwavguys-objective-2-by-jdslabs-and-epiphany-acoustics/

-------------------------------
Finally his recommended Headphone and amp is : DT880 Pro 600 ohms + NwAvGuy's Objective2

I'm very thankful to him, but it seems he didn't had an idea of what Ambient or Noise music is. It's not unusual, It's like someone ask me about best headphone for classical music.

I remember once at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk someone was looking for an ambient headphone (he wanted 1.deep precise sub-bass and 2.wide big soundstage 3.open back) & RobinHiFi recommended him DT880 pro too.

I don't know, maybe DT880 is a good choice, but I'm not sure again & until now I think HE-400 and Q701 would be a better choice.

May 31, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #115 of 168
Hi,

Yea. As you've said it seems he didn't had an idea what Ambient is (and Noise also) & so he only recommended the most natural-sounding headphone & not the best for your music. I say it because he said in his last replay "I’m not saying that it’s going to be good for your music." , but anyway DT880 pro as some guys here say is able of sub-bass and even some of them say it do this better than HD 650. As Mike said DT880 pro is really really neutral. I don't know if it's better than HE-400 or not, but It's a great can. Maybe you can solve the problem of the mids with some amping. Anyway, DT880 is one of those headphone that people has many different & sometimes opposite ideas about. For example someone says it doesn't have enough bass and another one says it's bass is more than enough.

May 31, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #116 of 168
    1. hipster2010
    2. Trader Feedback:+8
    3. badge_100.v1305918894.png
  1. Select All Posts By This User
$160 [size=x-small](USD)[/size]
Send a Private Message

FS: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 ohm *Price Drop

Will Ship To: CONUS

Next
Prev

I picked these up used and have used them for about 10 hours. They sound great but I currently need some extra cash as my computer just broke so I need to get a new one. They are in decent shape, but the coiled cord has been stretched out a bit and the ear pads are not that firm anymore. The ear pads IMO are actually very comfortable the way they are now, but they will likely need to be replaced in the not too distant future. They come with the 6.3mm adapter and the carrying case.

Price includes shipping and paypal fees. If you want insurance on the shipping, add an extra $4.00 to the total.

*Sorry for not having pics yet, not having my computer is making it difficult

Edited by hipster2010 - 5/21/12 at 9:38

May 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #117 of 168
If you buy the beyers off the sales thread cheap you could pic up a good quality dac/headphone amp to go with them!
  1. shadesbass
  3. badge_100.v1305918899.png
  5. offline
  1. 252 Posts. Joined 4/2006
  2. Location: Oxford, UK
£140 [size=x-small](GBP)[/size]
Send a Private Message

Beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm

Will Ship To: UK

Next
Prev

Time for some new (closed) cans so these have sadly got to go...
Bought new from Meier Audio a few years ago but I would estimate only a couple of hundred hours use in that time. They are in excellent condition, complete with original box, padded case and 3.5mm - 1/4" jack adapter. They sound great through a Meier amp but are low impedance so can also be driven directly from an mp3 player/laptop/tablet with ease.
I'll consider trading for a pair of Fischer Audio FA-003's, or a DAC-Magic or similar. Not interested in IEMs or open headphones.
Price includes next day insured Special Delivery to UK only.

May 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #118 of 168
                    $200 [size=x-small](USD)[/size]
Send a Private Message

Matrix M-Stage

Will Ship To: Anywhere
Next
Prev

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ec/100x100px-LS-ec832a9a_avatar-120-1.jpg[/img]
  1. cowincanada
  2. Trader Feedback:+1
  5. offline
  1. 46 Posts. Joined 3/2010

Up for sale is my Matrix M-stage headphone amp. I got this around March this year, but barely had any time to listen to my desktop set-up. Probably used it for approx 25 hours max.

Comes with power cord, and stock interconnects. Can't find the box or manual anymore.

Prefer pick up / meet anywhere in Greater Toronto Area.

Will ship at buyer's expense

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #120 of 168
Quote:
If you buy the beyers off the sales thread cheap you could pic up a good quality dac/headphone amp to go with them!
  1. shadesbass
  3. badge_100.v1305918899.png
  5. offline
  1. 252 Posts. Joined 4/2006
  2. Location: Oxford, UK
£140 [size=x-small](GBP)[/size]
Send a Private Message

Beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm

Will Ship To: UK

Next
Prev

Time for some new (closed) cans so these have sadly got to go...
Bought new from Meier Audio a few years ago but I would estimate only a couple of hundred hours use in that time. They are in excellent condition, complete with original box, padded case and 3.5mm - 1/4" jack adapter. They sound great through a Meier amp but are low impedance so can also be driven directly from an mp3 player/laptop/tablet with ease.
I'll consider trading for a pair of Fischer Audio FA-003's, or a DAC-Magic or similar. Not interested in IEMs or open headphones.
Price includes next day insured Special Delivery to UK only.

Quote:
                    $200 [size=x-small](USD)[/size]
Send a Private Message

Matrix M-Stage

Will Ship To: Anywhere
Next
Prev

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ec/100x100px-LS-ec832a9a_avatar-120-1.jpg[/img]
  1. cowincanada
  2. Trader Feedback:+1
  5. offline
  1. 46 Posts. Joined 3/2010

Up for sale is my Matrix M-stage headphone amp. I got this around March this year, but barely had any time to listen to my desktop set-up. Probably used it for approx 25 hours max.

Comes with power cord, and stock interconnects. Can't find the box or manual anymore.

Prefer pick up / meet anywhere in Greater Toronto Area.

Will ship at buyer's expense

I would go for the beyer dt990 with the matrix m-stage from the sale threads! p.s the beyer dt990 have got a better bass than the dt880s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back