Best Dubstep Heaphones for $200?
Jun 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

newtorfer

New Head-Fier
Hi
I'm new here!
Anyways, I currently have "meh" quality Sennhieser HD 201's and I want a MAJOR upgrade. $200 upgrade
What is the best headphone (over ear) for me? 
I listen to Dubstep/House so bass is a necessity.
I also don't have an amp. Just my phone to my ear. 3.5mm jack.
Any suggestions?

P.S:Also looking for quality, both audio and physically.

GO TO SLEEP

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 46
See my response here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614840/searching-for-headphones-with-good-bass

And basically if your request is as follows:

Then as in part stated here by 'Wink' :

If that's all you listen to, forget Hifi and go buy yourself the Beats by Dr. Dre...
And you're using your phone? for tunes with a 3.5mm jack (

You're wasting your time here...   seriously.

No headphone will improve the substandard low-fi from phones.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 46
I don't know why, but that last part just made me laugh...not in a mean way. Try a pair of d2k.

gL!!

I may be out of it, but are those $200 again? :confused:

I mean this in all seriousness - I've really stopped paying attention to such things. If they are, that's a very good suggestion and I will +1 the heck out of it. If they aren't, it's still a very good suggestion. :)

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:
See my response here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614840/searching-for-headphones-with-good-bass

And basically if your request is as follows:

Then as in part stated here by 'Wink' :

If that's all you listen to, forget Hifi and go buy yourself the Beats by Dr. Dre...
And you're using your phone? for tunes with a 3.5mm jack (

You're wasting your time here...   seriously.

No headphone will improve the substandard low-fi from phones.

Ouch. We all started sometime....

I have a lot more respect for the OP for at least making the effort than being a sheep and going out to buy some Dre's.

I also second the D2000 if you can find them for $200... Maybe[size=x-small] even the DT 770's[/size]

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know why, but that last part just made me laugh...not in a mean way. Try a pair of d2k.

gL!!

I may be out of it, but are those $200 again?
confused.gif

I mean this in all seriousness - I've really stopped paying attention to such things. If they are, that's a very good suggestion and I will +1 the heck out of it. If they aren't, it's still a very good suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been quite a while since I've seen them go for $200. I check in on them on amazon from time to time, and the price never goes that low anymore. I paid around $220 for mine on amazon a while back, but have yet to see it at that price ever again. I've listened to some dubstep through them, and while the bass does get better/more controlled with an amp, the bass isn't that bad without one. They seemed to scale up nicely with my different amps. They've sounded pretty good with any amp I've tried... unlike my HD650's, which I found to sound kind of funny with certain amps. 

If you don't mind supra aural (on ear) headphones, check out the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii or V-moda M80's. I'm listening to some dubstep now with the HD25-1 ii, and it's not bad. It's one of those headphones that have good and punchy bass when it's in the music, but wont put it there if it's not supposed to be there. You don't really have to worry though, with dubstep, it's everywhere so you'll be fine. I see them go for ~$170-180 on Amazon.com quite often.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 46
+1 to what PANGES said about the D2000. I'll also add that compared to the only Beats headphones I've heard (the Beats Pro) they're substantially more comfortable and not bloody terrible. The top end is a bit crunchy/aggressive imho - the "solution" is the Kenwood KH-K1000. It costs more though (they're around $400). But I don't think the D2000 are so bad up top that you can't enjoy them, especially if you're not comparing them to something else or incredibly bothered by sibilance/harshness. They're nowhere near as bad as some other closed cans I could name.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 46
Stuck between the DT770's and the ESW9's cause I want to be portable like the E's (the cups turn) but i also want to have the fabric pads and the all around awesome quality from the DT's...Any phones that are a mix of those 2? If not, i'll decide by myself.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 46
Stuck between the DT770's and the ESW9's cause I want to be portable like the E's (the cups turn) but i also want to have the fabric pads and the all around awesome quality from the DT's...Any phones that are a mix of those 2? If not, i'll decide by myself.

Yamaha HPH-200 has fabric pads and is supposed to be bassy (according to the GE review), but I don't know if anyone on all of Head-Fi has them or has tried them. :xf_eek: Amazon sells them.

Otherwise, hrm, what else is there. There's the HFI-2400, but they're open-back. There's the PRO750 (which I haven't tried) that might be worth a shot, somewhat over $200 though. Just based on the overall Ultrasone build quality and design (they're all fairly common), they should be pretty durable. They include the PROcase as well. http://ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/pro-750.html

But if the Ti drivers are similar to the Ti drivers on the 2900, they're probably fairly unforgiving.

Remember the 990 are open-back, the 770 are closed. For mobile use I would not suggest open-back.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:
Hi
I'm new here!
Anyways, I currently have "meh" quality Sennhieser HD 201's and I want a MAJOR upgrade. $200 upgrade
What is the best headphone (over ear) for me? 
Any suggestions?

P.S:Also looking for quality, both audio and physically.

GO TO SLEEP

Heya,

M-Audio Q40 with a Fiio E11 (or Fiio E7). Perfect for Dub under $200.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back