BEST closed back headphone for classical music
Jun 10, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 45
No one mentioned the Beyerdynamic DT48? That's my favorite closed headphone for classical. Check out the DT48 thread for some impressions.

It isn't the best when you need really deep bass for pipe organ, timpani, low brass, etc., but remarkable with vocals and piano.

I don't know what the current market is like, but I've seen used pairs go for $75-$150. I think it's worth picking up.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 45
GMP450pro is great for classical.
I don't have much experience with other high-end closed-back phones, but GMP450pro is definitely a level better than K271.
It is definitely the closed-back choice among its level (K701/K702, DT990, HD650).
However, it fits very loose, so it does not provide much isolation and anti-leak.....
It is technically a closed-back phone, but it is not like the regular closed-back in terms of isolation....

Quote:
Just got the D7000, and spent a little time with it. Truly a very good headphone for classical music. Really sad that I'll need to part with them soon.

How about GMP 450 Pro? From what I read they seem to be perfect for classical music. Although they are designed to be used in the recording room for monitoring, they might perform just as well as an audiophile headphone. Do they lack the musicality owing to their monitor nature? Any thoughts?
beyersmile.png

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
Just got the D7000, and spent a little time with it. Truly a very good headphone for classical music. Really sad that I'll need to part with them soon.

How about GMP 450 Pro? From what I read they seem to be perfect for classical music. Although they are designed to be used in the recording room for monitoring, they might perform just as well as an audiophile headphone. Do they lack the musicality owing to their monitor nature? Any thoughts?
beyersmile.png

I have the GMP 450 Pro.
In it's stock configuration it has a midforward sound signature which makes it an engaging listening experience. It works good for classical music but if you want even more transparency and neutrality, the sound can be improved by exchanging or greatly improved by double-padding it with these earpads: 41-6050, oval soft foil earpads from German Maestro.

The GMP 450 Pro in it's stock form, has indeed a comfortable niche at classical and jazz music, this aptitude is reinforced when swapping the earpads by the 41-6050 ones..
But if instead of swapping earpads you place the 41-6050 earpads on top of the stock ones the sound takes a major lip in quality and the GMP 450 Pro becomes a true all arounder.
I highly recommend these earpads to anyone owning or going to own the GMP 450 Pro, or for anyone who is looking for a refined, balanced and neutral without sacrifice of musicality sounding headphone.

I haven't had much experience with other high-end headphones, so I can't comment on how they would compare to others, but from what I've read, I can confidently assert that the stock GMP 450 Pro should sound very different from the D7000 and compared to the K271 it should offer a sonic improvement while not changing to much on signature but stokitw can give you better feedback on that regard.

Don't expect much isolation with this headphone, leaking isn't that bad as long as you don't hear music at very high volume.
The GMP 450 Pro also responds very well to (parametric) equalization.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #19 of 45
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/535729

=) my 2c about the topic. Still looking for a good closed HP pair for classical music myself. Also following the GMP450 pro + double pads route now. Will see how it pans out in a couple of weeks.

Not impressed by T5p, DT48, AT-W1kx/5000, denon d5000/d7000, JVC DX1000 for various reasons. K271 was ok, but in the end it wasn't nearly good enough when compared with a K1000 or SR-507 open HP systems.

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #20 of 45
That's a very nice thread you are refering to, svyr. Thank you!

Please keep us posted with your experiments.
beyersmile.png

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/535729

=) my 2c about the topic. Still looking for a good closed HP pair for classical music myself. Also following the GMP450 pro + double pads route now. Will see how it pans out in a couple of weeks.

Not impressed by T5p, DT48, AT-W1kx/5000, denon d5000/d7000, JVC DX1000 for various reasons. K271 was ok, but in the end it wasn't nearly good enough when compared with a K1000 or SR-507 open HP systems.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 45
Thanks for the comments! Been reading a lot about the GMP 8.35 lately. The only issue is I hear people saying that they have a similar sound sig to K271.

I think I have good ears, but I'm never a picky guy. So the fact that I don't like the K271 really confuses me a little. Maybe the treble is my dead spot...for one thing my favorite treble is from the HD650, dark and full of details. I always said to myself that if I were the conductor, that's how I want it (most often the violin group) to be.

Hmmm, could anyone comment on how the treble performs in the GMP 8.35 or 450 Pro? Still bright? Thanks!
beyersmile.png

Quote:

If the K-271 is a little too bright, you can still go with the German made 'phone, like the GMP 8.35 for the best insulation and sound. The other hps that I can recommend you are the Sony CD-3000, and the Stax 4070 for extra $$$$.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 45

Quote:
Thanks for the comments! Been reading a lot about the GMP 8.35 lately. The only issue is I hear people saying that they have a similar sound sig to K271.

I think I have good ears, but I'm never a picky guy. So the fact that I don't like the K271 really confuses me a little. Maybe the treble is my dead spot...for one thing my favorite treble is from the HD650, dark and full of details. I always said to myself that if I were the conductor, that's how I want it (most often the violin group) to be.

Hmmm, could anyone comment on how the treble performs in the GMP 8.35 or 450 Pro? Still bright? Thanks!
beyersmile.png

I think first you'll need to hear the 8.35 for yourself, they are more balanced compare to the 650.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #23 of 45
I did enjoy the 450 Pro a lot more with classical then the 8.35D Monitors. But the monitors isolate and the 450 Pro does not so you should probably rule the 450 Pro out if isolation is a factor.

As for woody I enjoy the DX 1000 a lot despite it playing wrong a lot of the time :wink:. But somehow I have learned to look past that as long as it´s not piano sonatas playing. They just have a very pleasing presentation that reminds me so much when I played in orchestras myself. Isolation is not top notch but apart from other ported woodies like denon D5000 and Audio Technica W1000x I tried it does isolate.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:
I did enjoy the 450 Pro a lot more with classical then the 8.35D Monitors. But the monitors isolate and the 450 Pro does not so you should probably rule the 450 Pro out if isolation is a factor.

As for woody I enjoy the DX 1000 a lot despite it playing wrong a lot of the time :wink:. But somehow I have learned to look past that as long as it´s not piano sonatas playing. They just have a very pleasing presentation that reminds me so much when I played in orchestras myself. Isolation is not top notch but apart from other ported woodies like denon D5000 and Audio Technica W1000x I tried it does isolate.

How is 450 Pro treble compare to the 8.35 Vs HD650?

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
How is 450 Pro treble compare to the 8.35 Vs HD650?

Haven´t you owned the 450 Pro once? It was quite some time ago but more of it as I can recall. No real issue. more bass then treble light I would say.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #27 of 45
No mention of the Sony R10 anywhere in this thread?  Hands-down the best closed headphone for classical music that I've heard; best headphones that I've heard, period, for that matter.  If you've got the coin, I think there's none better.  Of course, the price-performance curve becomes a little steep at the $4-7k mark...

Next to the R10, the D7000 was probably the next-best closed headphone I've heard with classical -- warm and full-bodied sound, with a good amount of air and space.

I'm interested in seeing how Beyerdynamic does with the new T70 / T70p though...

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #28 of 45
No mention of the Sony R10 anywhere in this thread?  Hands-down the best closed headphone for classical music that I've heard; best headphones that I've heard, period, for that matter.  If you've got the coin, I think there's none better.  Of course, the price-performance curve becomes a little steep at the $4-7k mark...

Next to the R10, the D7000 was probably the next-best closed headphone I've heard with classical -- warm and full-bodied sound, with a good amount of air and space.

I'm interested in seeing how Beyerdynamic does with the new T70 / T70p though...

D7000 stock is pretty horrible IMO(colored/fuzzy, boomy). So is Markl-modded D5000 (as D7000, only also with a serrating spike in the upper mids). Still to hear D7000 modded , but not holding much hope for it.
Recently heard DX1000, it has the most terrible build quality, but does actually isolate well. That said, it's also somewhat colored/resonant (probably a THD+N spike in the mids somewhere) and muffled (relatively recessed mids by the sounds of it). W1000x will most likely have the same problem for me.

I really can't recommend any of the woodies incl W5000 for classical. (bad pad comfort, bad headband comfort, thin bass, too prominent/sharp highs and upper mids)

>No mention of the Sony R10 anywhere in this thread

unobtainium :D

>Beyerdynamic does with the new T70 / T70p though

eager to hear how they sound and measure, but chances are they would either a) be uncomfortable (cups or headband), b) have resonances in the cups like T5p (boooo) and a weird FR with recessed bass c) not likely to have a relative mids bump. (not that everyone wants it for all types of classical, but I personally strongly prefer a mild one across 1-2.5khz)

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #29 of 45
I personally and in my rig very much like the Ed8 for classical (well for everything really) and isolation is top notch

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #30 of 45
I recently tried the GMP 8.35 and GMP 450 Pro, and was totally blown away. I really don't understand why a company that makes such good headphone is not making any noise in the audiophile community.

Among the two, I prefer the 8.35 since I can modify it to use in my portable rig. Such great isolation and sound quality! Once you find the way to get rid of the coiled cable, and plug it into your portable player, the whole world is more quiet, and it's you and music that exists.

The GMP 450 Pro is by far one of the best headphone I listen to for classical music. Very detailed, jaw-dropping instrument separation, very balanced. My only complain is the slightly bright treble. I think I'm a little too sensitive to treble, so can only stand headphone like HD650 who has a very dark treble.

These two headphones are definitely worth trying out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back