BEST closed back headphone for classical music
May 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Pabro

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I know there are other threads dedicated to "closed headphone" for "classical music", yet I still hope to suck you all into this thread. So,

Which is the best headphone (and the whole system built upon it) for classical music, provided that it will not disturb people around you (which means it has to be closed-back headphone, right?) ?

To start with, I've been thinking about D7000, and STAX SR-4070. Are there any other options?

May 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 45
D7000 is my choice.
HE-6 is another good choice, but I've only heard it, and haven't owned it.

The D7k (with my home rig, and to my ears, blah blah) does exactly what I want with classical. It provides the sonority and authority for both bombast and chamber. Vocals are exquisite (especially a capella ensembles like Stile Antico). The highs are crisp but not shrill, so that the instruments have 'air', while the bottom end is full and rich for tympany or double bass. The mids are said to be recessed slightly, but I've never found the mids to be anything but beautiful.

They are closed, but don't isolate very well. Better than HD-800 (or even the HE-6), so you get some attenuation of external noises.

Good luck.

May 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 45
I haven't heard any of these ..but..
I would also look into other woody headphones.

ATH-W5000, ATH-A2000X, ATH-W1000X
JVC DX1000

There is also Edition Edition 10

May 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 45
I haven't heard any of these ..but..
I would also look into other woody headphones.

ATH-W5000, ATH-A2000X, ATH-W1000X
JVC DX1000

I was gonna suggest all of them, it seems that I am a bit too late. I have heard all of them and can clearly say they are all excellent for classical in their own right.

W5000 is smooth and detailed but coloured mids and the bright treble can be harsh.
A2000X is airy and detailed, having the best soundstaging out of the brunch but bass can be slightly lacking.
W1000X is warm and punchy but slightly lacking in details and soundstage.
DX1000 is warm and punchy and detailed but not as airy as the W5000 and A2000X. They also looks extremely strange when you are wearing them. :p

May 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 45
I'm not so sure about the ATH series. I heard they are good for vocal work, female voice, etc...But they seem to be a little too colored for classical music playback. Anyone agrees?

I'm currently using AKG K271 MKII, but, I keep thinking the high frequency of this headphone is a little too bright, making it not that balanced for classical. The strings sounds too good (compared with other instruments), which makes the hearing experience a little fatigue. Although I agree there will be no better closed back 'phone under $300 that can play classical better, or is there (say, the D2000? )

In the past when I choose headphone for classical, I usually go for a German made 'phone, rather than a Japan made. Denon seems to be an exception. It's quite balanced and natural. I heard the classical under D2000 before, and am impressed. But D2000 is better for pop, vocal, and other type of music, so I can't help wondering if its more expensive brothers, D5000 and D7000, will give much better performance in classical. (and I'm glad to hear comments from shane55 to confirm this, thank you! ).

It seems that there are only a few flagship that is closed-back, so we are left with not much choices. How about the STAX 4070? That's the only closed-back electrostat 'phone available in the market ... can anyone comment on its performance in classical?
o2smile.gif

May 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 45
The A2000X is very balanced, slightly dipped in the bass. DX1000 is very good too. I found them both beating the current German flagships from Sennheiser and Beyer. I also quite like the Beyer T1 too, but they are not closed, HD800 is just too thin IMO.

I suggest the DX1000 seeing what you are after, I haven't heard the Edtion 10 myself so I cannot comment on it, but if it sound anything like the Ed8, I suggest you don't go for them in classical.

Seeing you are building a whole system, I totally recommend you to hear the headphones themselves first hand before getting them new. If you can't find a dealer or attend a meet, buy it used and sell with minimal loss, instead of buying new blind from only others opinion and lose a lot when selling.

I found the DX1000 more balanced than the D7000, the mids are no longer lacking on the DX1000, but still retain the weighty low end and crisp highs.

May 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 45

Quote:
I'm not so sure about the ATH series. I heard they are good for vocal work, female voice, etc...But they seem to be a little too colored for classical music playback. Anyone agrees?

I'm currently using AKG K271 MKII, but, I keep thinking the high frequency of this headphone is a little too bright, making it not that balanced for classical. The strings sounds too good (compared with other instruments), which makes the hearing experience a little fatigue. Although I agree there will be no better closed back 'phone under $300 that can play classical better, or is there (say, the D2000? )

In the past when I choose headphone for classical, I usually go for a German made 'phone, rather than a Japan made.

It seems that there are only a few flagship that is closed-back, so we are left with not much choices. How about the STAX 4170? That's the only closed-back electrostat 'phone available in the market ... can anyone comment on its performance in classical?
o2smile.gif

If the K-271 is a little too bright, you can still go with the German made 'phone, like the GMP 8.35 for the best insulation and sound. The other hps that I can recommend you are the Sony CD-3000, and the Stax 4070 for extra $$$$.
happy_face1.gif

May 24, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 45
I didn't really like W5000's with classical.

I''ll add one to the already given suggestions: Beyerdynamic T5p (the closed tesla)

May 24, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 45
I didn't really like W5000's with classical.

I''ll add one to the already given suggestions: Beyerdynamic T5p (the closed tesla)

For me, its more like "I didn't really like the W5000 at all". But there are many that loved how they sound, so I can't discredit that. The W5000 is indeed extremely smooth.

May 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 45
I put my vote towards the W5000 as well. It's like they were made for the genre.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 45
Just got the D7000, and spent a little time with it. Truly a very good headphone for classical music. Really sad that I'll need to part with them soon.

How about GMP 450 Pro? From what I read they seem to be perfect for classical music. Although they are designed to be used in the recording room for monitoring, they might perform just as well as an audiophile headphone. Do they lack the musicality owing to their monitor nature? Any thoughts?
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back