BEST closed back headphone for classical music
Aug 25, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #32 of 45

Quote:
I recently tried the GMP 8.35 and GMP 450 Pro, and was totally blown away. I really don't understand why a company that makes such good headphone is not making any noise in the audiophile community.

Among the two, I prefer the 8.35 since I can modify it to use in my portable rig. Such great isolation and sound quality! Once you find the way to get rid of the coiled cable, and plug it into your portable player, the whole world is more quiet, and it's you and music that exists.

Agree! the GMP 8.35 are the hidden gem around here, and no many members had the chance to hear the 8.35, or the 435 that share the same driver @ 35 ohm. BTW, there is an option to mod the sound of the 8.35 by changing with oval shaped ear pad, see photos (soft-foil black part number 41-6050)

These pads have super insulation and they're very comfortable. The hole in the middle is bigger than the original pad and the ears have more space around them, so now I can position the cups like my K702. This fantastic insulation tightens the bass with better resolution and the whole FR scale becomes more clear and detailed. Now the other great thing about these pads is that they come with a net that protects the driver. The sound flows directly to the ear very clearly and transparently, which makes them sound like high quality open hps. The sound can be easy compared to the AKGs only with better detailed bass. With these pads it's very easy to track down the bass in the studio.

Compared to the original pads, which sound more intimate and slightly darker. I'm happy to get this second option, which changes the characteristics of the headphones. These pads bring the GMP 8.35 a step forward. They sound very natural with a great timbre, for classical and acoustic is the best.

The original pads.

The mod pads, as you can see the felt part was remove and replace by the GMP net driver protector.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #33 of 45

Quote:

Agree! the GMP 8.35 are the hidden gem around here, and no many members had the chance to hear the 8.35, or the 435 that share the same driver @ 35 ohm. BTW, there is an option to mod the sound of the 8.35 by changing with oval shaped ear pad, see photos (soft-foil black part number 41-6050)

I had both at home for a couple of days and I think the Shures are much better, however the 8.35 are surprisingly good.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #34 of 45

Quote:
I had both at home for a couple of days and I think the Shures are much better, however the 8.35 are surprisingly good.

The 8.35 needs 10-to-15 hours of burn in, and the oval pads mod is a different sound. I just hope you didn't missed both.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #36 of 45

Quote:
No, I didn't. They were burnt in for much longer than you've mentioned. Talking about mods starts making sense when someone mods the SRH940. I recommended a stock product.

Ya, very simple...remove the felt and the whole new world will flow clear and detailed. As well the oval pads are more thick, and this will increase the sound stage.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 45
Big orchestral stuff is my thing.  I get a great deal of joy from Denon d5000 which provide all the richness & sweep of the music and a great sense of scale.  Same for solo piano and organ. Very much thinking about upgrading to modded D7000 if I can find a pair

I also have a pair of Audio Technica W5000.... they just cannot hack it for the same kind of music.  For light pop/rock, acoustic, solo instrumental and vocal and music by small ensembles they are brilliant as they push the midrange forward so much, and are very fast sounding, and get you right into that kind of music, but they cannot do big orchestral at all IMO.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #39 of 45
T1, PS1000, Edition 9, SA5000, W5000 and DT660.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 45
For sound quality the GMP 400 is as valid option as the doublepadded GMP 450 Pro if one is into easy modding.
But if portability and isolation are to important the GMP 8.35D is the best bet.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #44 of 45
Hi all,

I know there are other threads dedicated to "closed headphone" for "classical music", yet I still hope to suck you all into this thread. So,

Which is the best headphone (and the whole system built upon it) for classical music, provided that it will not disturb people around you (which means it has to be closed-back headphone, right?) ?

To start with, I've been thinking about D7000, and STAX SR-4070. Are there any other options?

Try the headphones from your avatar :wink: The price is misleading - they're really good especially for classics and jazz!

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #45 of 45
i wouldnt buy closed headphone, especially for classical i recommend OPEN.
with right amping you can't beat PS1000 in orchestra imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back