Best Bass Headphones in The World
Sep 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #61 of 198

Actually, the R10 is an intensely bright beast. Its ruthlessly detailed and extremely musical, with yes pretty good bass. However, that's certainly not what the headphone is known for.

Well there are 2 different ver. I guess I meant the bass heavy ver.
Even the bass heavy version is bright overall. The nomenclature is in respect to the other R10s. That is to say, some have more bass than others, but by no means are they bassy.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #65 of 198
The x10s are not horrible until you say what is wrong with them.

Sorry, they have way too much bass. Bloated and muffled. You know how people here bash beats for having bass overload? It's worse than beats. Mids fly out the window with them. The XB1000, on the other hand, handles bass with more class. Other bass headphones I'd take over the X10 in an instant? HFI-2400, SRH750, K618/619, D5000, D7100.

Not to mention the headphones are plasticky, the design is over-done, build quality is nowhere near what it should be for $300 (although they can be had for much lower these days).

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #66 of 198
The x10s are not horrible until you say what is wrong with them.

Sorry, they have way too much bass. Bloated and muffled. You know how people here bash beats for having bass overload? It's worse than beats. Mids fly out the window with them. The XB1000, on the other hand, handles bass with more class. Other bass headphones I'd take over the X10 in an instant? HFI-2400, SRH750, K618/619, D5000, D7100.

Not to mention the headphones are plasticky, the design is over-done, build quality is nowhere near what it should be for $300 (although they can be had for much lower these days).

Actually, I doubt you've heard the X10 after this; when I listened to them at best buy they were actually quite balanced sounding, not bassy at all.

But no seriously, any Sony XB can is far from the "best bass headphone in the world". Unless you consider a dark boomy bloaty mess of sound to be bass.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #67 of 198
I'm willing to backup viralcow. For some reason, they're really popular at my school so I've used a couple different pairs when someone wants to show me a song. I've thought every pair was a muddy, foggy mess. I feel like the treble wouldn't be so awful if the pads didn't cover the driver.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #68 of 198
Actually, I doubt you've heard the X10 after this; when I listened to them at best buy they were actually quite balanced sounding, not bassy at all.

But no seriously, any Sony XB can is far from the "best bass headphone in the world". Unless you consider a dark boomy bloaty mess of sound to be bass.

How are the x10s not bassy at all if they are supposed to be extra bass headphones? Was the headphone jack connected to their own source, which could have possibly had an equalizer, or to your device?

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #69 of 198

To be fair, I heard the XB920 - which are supposed to be identical to the X10's sonically, but might be different, who knows?

I don't want to sound too harsh but that's what I heard. I'm not a basshead any means and I'm probably more sensitive to thumpin' bass. But the X10/920's had more bass than all of the headphones I've listed- including the Beats Studio's. Too much for me!

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #71 of 198
I felt that during my ownership of the LCD2rev2 they provided the best physicality impact and bass slam , and I still stand firm on that opinion today. However, Ive parted with the LCDs for a number of reasons, at times I felt the LCD2 had just a bit too much bass. 

I love my bass, and for me--the HD800 have the perfect bass when properly amped. Or  at least close to that.

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #72 of 198
I felt that during my ownership of the LCD2rev2 they provided the best physicality impact and bass slam , and I still stand firm on that opinion today. However, Ive parted with the LCDs for a number of reasons, at times I felt the LCD2 had just a bit too much bass. 

I love my bass, and for me--the HD800 have the perfect bass when properly amped. Or  at least close to that.
If by perfect bass you mean extremely loose, smeary, diffuse midbass that's only heard and never felt, then sure...

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #73 of 198

If by perfect bass you mean extremely loose, smeary, diffuse midbass that's only heard and never felt, then sure...

Do you own the HD800? And smeary, really..?

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #74 of 198

Yes, smeary. I spent about 2.5 hours in a quiet, controlled environment listening to the HD800 out of a very nice rig. I compared it with every single headphone I owned at the time. To my ears, the imaging was diffuse and smeary and the bass was very loose and weak sounding with a somewhat early rolloff. Measurements done by Tyll at InnerFidelity back up my claims.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

The frequency response is self-explanatory. The 30Hz SW overshoots a lot and the resounding line curves downwards, hitting 0dB. Totally explains the loose bass. As for the imaging, the 300Hz has a short initial upshoot and no secondary peak, indicating poorly controlled, diffuse imaging. The below sheets show an ideal 30Hz and 300Hz wave, respectively. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

Very small overshoot, almost a completely flat line afterwards. Near perfect control.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE6.pdf

A bit of wobble but a high initial overshoot with a second resounding peak about half the height of the first one. This is indicative of a headphone that has good imaging.

Objective measurements ftw.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #75 of 198

Yes, smeary. I spent about 2.5 hours in a quiet, "controlled" environment.
I rest my case. Say no more.

I dont know what sort of dac/amp you spent the 2.5hrs on with the headphones but given you thought it was loose and smeary obviously indicates that it was a bad pairing. You shouldnt judge the headphone off a low-fi rig and youd need more than 2.5hrs for your opinion to be viable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back