Best Bass Headphones in The World
Oct 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #76 of 198

Really, the TH900 is almost certainly aeons ahead of the LCD-2. Orthodynamics can't deliver the same amount of raw slam that a dynamic driver can, and the TH900 measures FAR better than the LCD-2. Even the transients (which orthodynamics are known for) are far better on the TH900:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

You know what's funny about the TH900? They measure VERY similarly to the M-100.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #77 of 198

I felt that during my ownership of the LCD2rev2 they provided the best physicality impact and bass slam , and I still stand firm on that opinion today. However, Ive parted with the LCDs for a number of reasons, at times I felt the LCD2 had just a bit too much bass. 

I love my bass, and for me--the HD800 have the perfect bass when properly amped. Or  at least close to that.

If by perfect bass you mean extremely loose, smeary, diffuse midbass that's only heard and never felt, then sure...

Do you own the HD800? And smeary, really..?

Yes, smeary. I spent about 2.5 hours in a quiet, "controlled" environment.

I rest my case. Say no more.

I dont know what sort of dac/amp you spent the 2.5hrs on with the headphones but given you thought it was loose and smeary obviously indicates that it was a bad pairing. You shouldnt judge the headphone off a low-fi rig and youd need more than 2.5hrs for your opinion to be viable.

The measurements prove my statements. I rest MY case.

Besides, it was out of an Audio-GD SA-31 with a dual-mono WM8741 DAC by Valab. Dual mono of the second best DAC chip on the planet being fed into an amp that synergizes well with the HD800. It was by no means low-fi. Don't be an audiophool. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #78 of 198

Really, the TH900 is almost certainly aeons ahead of the LCD-2. Orthodynamics can't deliver the same amount of raw slam that a dynamic driver can, and the TH900 measures FAR better than the LCD-2. Even the transients (which orthodynamics are known for) are far better on the TH900:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

You know what's funny about the TH900? They measure VERY similarly to the M-100.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

As it should, because that's what the TH900 is about. Its supposed to be musical and fun. Look at the impulse response, THD plot, and the frequency response and the TH900 becomes far different. The M100 will sound muffled, loose, and thick in comparison based on the differences. The TH900 also has better imaging and I would assume better soundstaging, though I'm not sure.

The refinement is what makes the headphone (and all high end headphones for that matter) worth its pricetag.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #80 of 198

I felt that during my ownership of the LCD2rev2 they provided the best physicality impact and bass slam , and I still stand firm on that opinion today. However, Ive parted with the LCDs for a number of reasons, at times I felt the LCD2 had just a bit too much bass. 

I love my bass, and for me--the HD800 have the perfect bass when properly amped. Or  at least close to that.

If by perfect bass you mean extremely loose, smeary, diffuse midbass that's only heard and never felt, then sure...

Do you own the HD800? And smeary, really..?

Yes, smeary. I spent about 2.5 hours in a quiet, "controlled" environment.

I rest my case. Say no more.

I dont know what sort of dac/amp you spent the 2.5hrs on with the headphones but given you thought it was loose and smeary obviously indicates that it was a bad pairing. You shouldnt judge the headphone off a low-fi rig and youd need more than 2.5hrs for your opinion to be viable.

The measurements prove my statements. I rest MY case.

Besides, it was out of an Audio-GD SA-31 with a dual-mono WM8741 DAC by Valab. Dual mono of the second best DAC chip on the planet being fed into an amp that synergizes well with the HD800. It was by no means low-fi. Don't be an audiophool. 
Dont we all love measurements.

Thanks for the laugh. Lol, 2.5hrs.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #81 of 198

It is you that is the audiophool child. Happy Halloween

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #83 of 198
  What, the LCD-2 looks like it measures better than the TH-900 judging from those graphs...

Why is that a surprise to you?

Edit: Nvm, I see what you're commenting on.  What indeed.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #84 of 198
Even the bass heavy version is bright overall. The nomenclature is in respect to the other R10s. That is to say, some have more bass than others, but by no means are they bassy.

Yes, but we're not talking about quantity
R10 Bass Heavy version is often referred to having some of the best bass in a headphone...
Judging from other reviews, it seems pretty impactful too man

Looking at all your posts, most of it is just nonsense or a poor attempt at trolling

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #85 of 198
  As it should, because that's what the TH900 is about. Its supposed to be musical and fun. Look at the impulse response, THD plot, and the frequency response and the TH900 becomes far different. The M100 will sound muffled, loose, and distorty in comparison based on the differences. The TH900 also has better imaging and I would assume better soundstaging, though I'm not sure.

The refinement is what makes the headphone (and all high end headphones for that matter) worth its pricetag.

Can you explain me where you see those things. I don't have the knowledge to see those conclusions from the graphs, so if you have the time, I'd like to know.

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #86 of 198

I know what I heard. The measurements prove it. You all just can't accept that your headphone isn't perfect. If you love it and enjoy its sound then that's your prerogative, more power to you. That doesn't change the fact that it's objectively worse than something else, and the HD800 falls short in the areas I mentioned, especially bass. The rolloff starts too early and it's too loose and uncontrolled compared to other headphones near its pricerange. Tyll's measurements prove this.

The HD800 has a good sense of space and an impossibly huge soundstage. It is also diffuse and slightly smeary. I could not pinpoint exactly where an instrument was coming from with the HD800 whereas with some of my other headphones, I could. This is also proven by Tyll's measurements.

Do not try to pin it on the gear I used because I used a known good amp pairing and a very transparent, revealing DAC. I'm not trying to insult anyone here by talking down the HD800. I'm just stating objective fact. My goal is not to make enemies, it's just frustrating seeing 8 zillion people say that the HD800 is the best at everything ever when that most certainly is not the case, especially not when talking about bass.

I'm done here.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #88 of 198

I know what I heard. The measurements prove it. You all just can't accept that your headphone isn't perfect. If you love it and enjoy its sound then that's your prerogative, more power to you. That doesn't change the fact that it's objectively worse than something else, and the HD800 falls short in the areas I mentioned, especially bass. The rolloff starts too early and it's too loose and uncontrolled compared to other headphones near its pricerange. Tyll's measurements prove this.

The HD800 has a good sense of space and an impossibly huge soundstage. It is also diffuse and slightly smeary. I could not pinpoint exactly where an instrument was coming from with the HD800 whereas with some of my other headphones, I could. This is also proven by Tyll's measurements.

Do not try to pin it on the gear I used because I used a known good amp pairing and a very transparent, revealing DAC. I'm not trying to insult anyone here by talking down the HD800. I'm just stating objective fact. My goal is not to make enemies, it's just frustrating seeing 8 zillion people say that the HD800 is the best at everything ever when that most certainly is not the case, especially not when talking about bass.

I'm done here.

If you read my original post, it states that for me- the HD800 were my choice. And seriously, could you stop using Tyll Hertsens opinion? It just doesnt make sense for you to consistently use his opinion to back-up your statement, using his reputation only makes you appear rather confused about this whole thing. 

Youve only had 2.5hrs with the HD800, of course you couldnt pinpoint exactly where things were coming from. Obviously your ears were not familiar with a new headphone.

I never tried to pin anything on the gear. You never mentioned what was used the first time around so I had to assume it was low-fi. Besides, even if its a known good amp pairing to some, that doesnt apply to everyone.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #89 of 198
  If you read my original post, it states that for me- the HD800 were my choice. And seriously, could you stop using Tyll Hertsens opinion? It just doesnt make sense for you to consistently use his opinion to back-up your statement, using his reputation only makes you appear rather confused about this whole thing. 

Youve only had 2.5hrs with the HD800, of course you couldnt pinpoint exactly where things were coming from. Obviously your ears were not familiar with a new headphone.

I never tried to pin anything on the gear. You never mentioned what was used the first time around so I had to assume it was low-fi. Besides, even if its a known good amp pairing to some, that doesnt apply to everyone.

Don't want to get into this conversation but measurements =/= opinions by the very definition of what a measurement is.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #90 of 198
I have to +1 on the TH-900 too for bass.. best i have heard by far in quantity, with good quality to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back