Best Bass Headphones in The World
Dec 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #106 of 198
  I'd have to agree with whoever said about EQ'ing... without doubt it can take what you thought wasn't possible to wow, on my hd-650's when I first got them paired with my new amp balanced I was like what bass?  Are they the most bassey I'd assume not, but without eq it felt like I was robbed by peoples reviews.

hey, the hd650 is considered bassy by audiophile standards (like ppl who are looking for really clear neutral headphones). If you are looking for more consumer-oriented bass, the something like the Ultrasone Pro 900 or V-Moda M100 would be suitable for you :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #107 of 198

I'd have to agree with whoever said about EQ'ing... without doubt it can take what you thought wasn't possible to wow, on my hd-650's when I first got them paired with my new amp balanced I was like what bass?  Are they the most bassey I'd assume not, but without eq it felt like I was robbed by peoples reviews.

hey, the hd650 is considered bassy by audiophile standards (like ppl who are looking for really clear neutral headphones). If you are looking for more consumer-oriented bass, the something like the Ultrasone Pro 900 or V-Moda M100 would be suitable for you :)
I wouldn't say the 650 are neutral

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #108 of 198
I wouldn't say the 650 are neutral

I agree :) I did not say the 650 were neutral. I said that they are called bassy from an audiophile's neutral, balanced perspective (aka bassier than the HD 600 or the Q701)... however, from the average consumer's perspective, they are bass light (aka less bass quality vs something like beats/bose bass-boosted headphones).

Often, you will find on this site that people's perspectives/standards of what is bass-heavy/light may be very different from yours. If you are truly looking for bassy headphones that still offer high sound quality, I would suggest talking to the people who frequent the basshead thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #112 of 198
DT48.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #113 of 198

I actually agree with this, they might not have the best extension but the DT48 has an absolutely incredible 30Hz square wave response; better than any other dynamic and close to rivaling top-tier orthos like the LCD-2.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #114 of 198
For me Edition 9...Ultrasone...hands down...Using my Rudistor RPX-33 personal Alberto Edition (courtesy of my friend Rudi)...Even though I'm upgrading my MD-1, to the MD-2 (open cans), but I'm a big fan of closed cans, my apt requires closed!!!!!...Pink Floyd with the Editions is a total eargasm!!! OMG!!!!

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #115 of 198
  For me Edition 9...Ultrasone...hands down...

Ultrasones are all notorious for bass rolloff and pitiful control, so I'm skeptical.

Best I've heard so far is my Fostex TH600. Slammy, deep, full, and smooth, very well controlled. 

My NAD RP18/Fostex T50v1 has damn great bass as well, a bit less slam than the TH600 but equivalent extension and quality.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #116 of 198
Not the Editions, sorry....I have heard quite a few cans in my life, over fifteen years...And if I'm not mistaken, Eddy Kramer and Steve Hoffman, two of the best audio engineers you can heard off, had used, and still use Ultrasone, I personally sent a pair of Ultrasones to Hoffman, not sure where did you get this idea??? But Ultrasone are very far from being pitiful in bass control, by any chance have you own any???

The designer and developer of Ultrasone, Florian König, is a very knowledgeable guy in audio in general, not just headphones...

And BTW I have own a few of them, not all of my liking, but all very good...and the Editions, simply are second to none...includng the R-10,Qualias, Denons, JVC, Grados...etc...Fostex AFAIK are "very good in full range" (for the ones who are afraid of the crossovers, just ask this guy )...but I will not bet a penny on headphones till I heard a decent one, till now none...sorry....
Rudistor MD-1 and MD2 are 56mm among the biggest drivers in the market, for open ones, not my cup of tea...I like better closed...but give it a try... 

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #117 of 198
Not the Editions, sorry....I have heard quite a few cans in my life, over fifteen years...And if I'm not mistaken, Eddy Kramer and Steve Hoffman, two of the best audio engineers you can heard off, had used, and still use Ultrasone, I personally sent a pair of Ultrasones to Hoffman, not sure where did you get this idea??? But Ultrasone are very far from being pitiful in bass control, by any chance have you own any???

The designer and developer of Ultrasone, Florian König, is a very knowledgeable guy in audio in general, not just headphones...

And BTW I have own a few of them, not all of my liking, but all very good...and the Editions, simply are second to none...includng the R-10,Qualias, Denons, JVC, Grados...etc...Fostex AFAIK are "very good in full range" (for the ones who are afraid of the crossovers, just ask this guy )...but I will not bet a penny on headphones till I heard a decent one, till now none...sorry....
Rudistor MD-1 and MD2 are 56mm among the biggest drivers in the market, for open ones, not my cup of tea...I like better closed...but give it a try... 

Just to clarify, you feel the Edition series have the best bass response going bar none?

I have thus far had the Sig Pro, Edition 8, auditioned the Sig DJ and still own the Pro900. The Pro900 and DJ are basshead worthy, the rest have decent bass with proper amping.

In my experience the Pro900 is if not the best basshead phone I've tried it's very close to the Denon/Fostex line which is kind of my gold standard.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #118 of 198
I actually agree with this, they might not have the best extension but the DT48 has an absolutely incredible 30Hz square wave response; better than any other dynamic and close to rivaling top-tier orthos like the LCD-2.

This was a joke; I heard nothing below 100Hz from my pair. :D I meant to quote the ER4 post.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #119 of 198

56mm driver isn't that big of a deal.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #120 of 198
Just to clarify, you feel the Edition series have the best bass response going bar none?

I have thus far had the Sig Pro, Edition 8, auditioned the Sig DJ and still own the Pro900. The Pro900 and DJ are basshead worthy, the rest have decent bass with proper amping.

In my experience the Pro900 is if not the best basshead phone I've tried it's very close to the Denon/Fostex line which is kind of my gold standard.

The Edition 8 is not in the same league of the 9 and 7, the rest of the Ultrasones to me are average...The Edition 9 and 7, are completelly different in sound, I mean quality wise, bass quality, quantity is not what I'm after...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back