Best amp for $500 and below?
Jul 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #16 of 33
Haha.  I guess I did that, didn't I?  Anyway, that certainly wasn't my intention.  I just read through tons of posts each day and speak my honest opinions on things.  I hope I didn't influence you too much or in an unwelcome way.

But seriously, the Valhalla is by no means the best amp out there.  It can't really hold up with my Trafomatic.  In some senses, the Asgard may be better with certain headphones.  But, all in all, it's a great amp.  It pairs beautifully with the HD650.  The WA6, WA2, V200, and Crack may all be better amps, but the Valhalla may be the better fit for your HD650s.

Quote:
Not sure Jay would let me pick anything else at this point anyway. 
biggrin.gif
 He has a knack for finding my posts and telling me that the Valhalla is better. It just took me a while to come around to it, but yep, he's probably right. (for my situation anyway!)

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 33
Well based on reading almost everything the search engine came across with the words "Valhalla," "Lyr," "Woo 6, Woo Audio 6, WA6," or any combination of those with "vs" in-between, I came to the conclusion that it's the best choice for the amount of money I want to spend. (and with twins on the way, it's not much!)

Now, if I could go up to... say, 1100? WA2 would probably be my choice as it's so highly regarded as one of the best woo offerings. (Not sure I'd need all the inputs though.)

The others are great amps I'm sure, but I just don't want to spend too much and feel like I'm out all kinds of money on something that I was building up in my head to be the end-all, be-all of amps. 

Honestly, anything is going to be better than what I have now... which is nothing. 

I was just giving you a hard time about the following me around thing. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 33
The Norse Gods are smiling down on me today. 

The Valhalla is back up on Amazon. I'd been checking for a few days and today was the day.

Just placed my order!

Now, let's start looking at tube reviews!!!

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
Wow good luck, I am actually considering the Matrix M Stage for the HD650 or W1000X. IDK though.

Wow! another SS amp from a company that does't have the brains to make a discrete circuit. At least you can roll Op-Amps.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 33
I understood four words in this ^ post. 

I'm going to sound like a noob here, but what is a discrete circuit? An Op-Amp?
Whats the bias against the m-stage? 

Not like I'm vested in this, just curious....

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:
I understood four words in this ^ post. 

I'm going to sound like a noob here, but what is a discrete circuit? An Op-Amp?
Whats the bias against the m-stage? 

Not like I'm vested in this, just curious....

A discrete circuit is a design without operational amplifier. A operational amplifier is a integrated circuit thats used to save money and or space, and allows the use of a IC chip in place of a handful on transistors, resistors and diodes, to amplify the signal. They almost never sound as good as a discrete circuit.

The M stage(IMO) just looks like one more of the many cheap chinese amps, that have flooded the market.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
I thought the Matrix M-Stage used really high quality components?  I just bought one off the for sale forums the Matrix M-Stage V1 with Class A Biasing.

It does, and is considered by many to be one of the best sub $300 dollar amps. Mr.Tom is just trolling and believing what he read off of Schiit Audio's website. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
It does, and is considered by many to be one of the best sub $300 dollar amps. Mr.Tom is just trolling and believing what he read off of Schiit Audio's website. 

Ignorance is bliss. And I guess were all wrong,Schiit, Burson and about 100 others, plus the 10's of 1000's of audio designers before them. So common for the trolls to be the first to start name calling.

And yes I 100% believe what Schiit states on there site, mostly because there right on the mark.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. And I guess were are wrong,Schiit, Burson and about 100 others, plus the 10's of 1000's of audio designers before them. So common for the trolls to be the first to start name calling.

And yes I 100% believe what Schiit states on there site, mostly because there right on the mark.

Instead of bashing the Matrix M Stage as you did in the previous posts, let's just agree that Schiit, Burson and Matrix make wonderful amps. There is no reason to start a internet fight, it's stupid and childish. I also feel I am not ignorant, your just a *******.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:
Instead of bashing the Matrix M Stage as you did in the previous posts, let's just agree that Schiit, Burson and Matrix make wonderful amps. There is no reason to start a internet fight, it's stupid and childish. I also feel I am not ignorant, your just a *******.

If I had a penny for every passive aggressive poster, I'd be very rich.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
If I had a penny for every passive aggressive poster, I'd be very rich.

Just stop posting on this thread, so more people will reply instead of you.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 

Here is a brief summery of the latest batch of Matched pairs that I have tried in order of preference:

[size=small]LORENZ PCC 88- [/size][size=small]Fantastically rich meaty sound, bass and mids very prevalent. This is my favorite so far. The only negative is the sound stage is not as wide. Phenomenal with bassy music.[/size]

[size=small]SIEMENS 6DJ8-[/size] [size=small]Wonderful sound, sparkling highs and the widest sound stage and instrument separation of the bunch. Bass extension and mids not as good as the Lorenzs (not far behind though). .[/size]

[size=small]AMPEREX ORANGE LABEL 6DJ8- The most "tubey" sounding. Very nice for rock and folk. Absolutely haunting vocals with these tubes. [/size]

[size=small]Ediswan 6922-[/size] [size=small]Rich and bass heavy, great mids and highs. Not very good with sound stage.[/size]

[size=small]Westinghouse 6922-[/size] [size=small]Nice sounding tube that does everything above average.[/size]

[size=small]GE Smoke glass ECC88-[/size] [size=small]I was disappointed with these. They sound decent, but not quit up to the Westinghouse. I bought them from E-bay so who knows..... I expected more.[/size]

RCA USA 6CG7 3 Black - Sweet "middle of the road" sound. Lacks the energy of the ones listed above this.

Those are recommended tubes for the Lyr. I have NO idea if those same thoughts and observances would translate to the Valhalla, but the Lyr uses the same type of tubes, and I was just going to use this as a starting point. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of Valhalla tube rolling threads as the rollable amp is so new. I figured most of those tubes seem pretty well regarded as I do research on them around the internet. 

Jay- I'm interested to know what you think or will think of the sound stage once it gets burned in a little more. You mentioned in the "what amp do you have your eyes on" thread that you felt the soundstage was smaller than that of the Asgard. I'd like to know what you think of it now....

S-

Miniwatt 6BQ7A is my new flavor of the week, cheap and robust with crazy separation. Sorry to go off topic... The M-stage is a great SS amp with a tubelike sound. I actually like it more then my Burson after OP rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back