been on head-fi for days and cant make a clear choice for a set of cans
Sep 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Harkness6

New Head-Fier
first post. yaaa, anyway ive been on this site many of day and night and said hey i mine as well get an account, anyway long sotry short i want cans i have bose over ear the best ones anyway, i thought grado labs sr60i as they are cheap mod friendly, but then sure enough my opinion changed to beyer, senheisser, audio technica, pioneer, akg, fostex, even sony made the cut lol, i was also very curious on first hand impressions on the pro 750 ultrasones, VERY interested about those, anyway my point is what do the loyal members of Head-fi say i should go with for all around (with a tad bit of bass i only listen to rap) set of amazing cans i will love for years to come, thank you! -Harkness6

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 15
welcome! if youre really lurking for a few days, you should know what the members asks first before recommending

1. budget
2. any other genre besides rap
3. open or closed?
4. portable or home use? related to question 3
5. preferred sound signature (bassy, balanced, etc)
6. other things like source, planning to add an amp, what kind of music files, your birthday, name of your school during elementary, etc

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
first post. yaaa, anyway ive been on this site many of day and night and said hey i mine as well get an account, anyway long sotry short i want cans i have bose over ear the best ones anyway, i thought grado labs sr60i as they are cheap mod friendly, but then sure enough my opinion changed to beyer, senheisser, audio technica, pioneer, akg, fostex, even sony made the cut lol, i was also very curious on first hand impressions on the pro 750 ultrasones, VERY interested about those, anyway my point is what do the loyal members of Head-fi say i should go with for all around (with a tad bit of bass i only listen to rap) set of amazing cans i will love for years to come, thank you! -Harkness6

Heya,

Denon D2000
Ultrasone PRO 750 (black & grey version)
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
M-Audio Q40
AudioTechnica A900X

With a Fiio E11 if using a phone/portable player of some kind. Fiio E10 if you're using your computer mostly.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Denon D2000
AudioTechnica A900X

He makes two great suggestions here. I had the d2000's for a long time myself. If you really ONLY listen to rap maybe the beats are more your style lol. But the D2000's handle hip-hop and the like very well, you won't be disappointed there. They are a good contender for a all-around headphone.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 15
The Pro 750 is indeed a good option. Alternatively, you can choose any headphone of the Ultrasone HFI line. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 15
hey guys sorry took a while to post back being at work 24/7 and all. anyway sorry to say i would love the dennons but there out of my price range and just purchased ath-esw9 and a rsa predator cant wait to get these lovely items, i have a question if my thread hasent already bored everyone lol, but ya  what do you think about the esw9 and predator im nervous to say the least (never heard any of thes before) but i want to recable already (without hearing cans) haha anyway ive heard good things and i wanted to know on what pure silver wire to use and if it even matters/ connectors as well. as far as iems what does everyone seems to like for rap/for iphone/ rsa predator.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
The Pro 750 is indeed a good option. Alternatively, you can choose any headphone of the Ultrasone HFI line. 

do the pro 750 seem to have bad placement issues due to the s-logic? now dont get me wrong ive heard outstanding reviews but of course i get sceptical from the mediocre ones. guess it might be my lose lol

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Heya,

Denon D2000
Ultrasone PRO 750 (black & grey version)
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
M-Audio Q40
AudioTechnica A900X

With a Fiio E11 if using a phone/portable player of some kind. Fiio E10 if you're using your computer mostly.

Very best,

sorry meant to quote you read many of your threads great stuff man was wondering what u think about that combo above i described

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
sorry meant to quote you read many of your threads great stuff man was wondering what u think about that combo above i described

Heya,

The ESW9 is on-ear. It's probably my favorite on-ear. It's smooth, buttery smooth, very warm, lush, and has a great touch of bass to it, while not being overly bassy. Great for all genres. I found it was easy to wear and was not uncomfortable, it was nicer to wear than the Vmoda M80. Overall the sound reminded me of a smoothed out Denon. It sounds nothing like a typical audiotechnica. My only complaints about the ESW9 are that it has a short, small, skinny cord that is just begging to get pulled/snagged and cause damage; the frame is made very delicate and cheap, it's not durable at all for a portable, very disappointed in it's durability; the plastic snaps easily over time. It does not need an amplifier at all. I would have suggested you simply save your money if you were going to buy a portable amp--it's a waste on these.

Very best,  

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Heya,

The ESW9 is on-ear. It's probably my favorite on-ear. It's smooth, buttery smooth, very warm, lush, and has a great touch of bass to it, while not being overly bassy. Great for all genres. I found it was easy to wear and was not uncomfortable, it was nicer to wear than the Vmoda M80. Overall the sound reminded me of a smoothed out Denon. It sounds nothing like a typical audiotechnica. My only complaints about the ESW9 are that it has a short, small, skinny cord that is just begging to get pulled/snagged and cause damage; the frame is made very delicate and cheap, it's not durable at all for a portable, very disappointed in it's durability; the plastic snaps easily over time. It does not need an amplifier at all. I would have suggested you simply save your money if you were going to buy a portable amp--it's a waste on these.

Very best,  

subscribed ! you know wassup! and thanks because i was thinking the m80!! so perfect and as far as the amp goes i know ill have more cans,, thats just me i love music and know being part of head-fi my knowledge just sky-rocketed thanks to all you pros! question if no amp is needed what do you think about the esw9 with a digizoid zo2? seems like it would be a good combo to me, and whats that cord coming out of the side on that last pic?? 4 more days till i receive these beautiful cans! so stoked!! ^.^ thanks. -Harkness6

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 15
Hey Mal,

Have you heard the JVC s500 carbon nanotubes from Dsnuts thread? The hype has been pretty large over at the portables section. 

If you have heard them, how would you compare them to the esw9? Or other full size headphones?

thanks

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 15
i tried the esw9 on the sansa clip...it sounded...errrr...ok.
but when i plugged in a hisoundaudio dap, it was wow GOOD!...more energetic, much better control.

give us your feedback with the predator. :p

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
i tried the esw9 on the sansa clip...it sounded...errrr...ok.
but when i plugged in a hisoundaudio dap, it was wow GOOD!...more energetic, much better control.

give us your feedback with the predator. :p

cant wait to post how it sounds!!! only 3 days and a few hours lol , ok so im sure theres much controversy but apple vs sandisk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back