Beats Pro Review!l
May 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #136 of 171
Sep 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #137 of 171
Beats Pro
$399.99 USD

I was a club and radio DJ from 1978-1999. About 20,000 hours in the booth. I have owned 240's, DT-880's and had a Mirage/Krell system in the 90's.

I was at a friends place recently and they had Beats Pro. Listened on my phone and their iPad, referencing using my UE500, CAL! and 668b's.

Short review:
Total garbage and are bettered by $15-$25 Chi-fi cans on my desk right now that are pure coloured mid-fi. Never mind the CAL! which are far superior at $60, and any $400 competitor will be light-years better.

Sibilance in cymbals and upper vocal range of female.
Good instrument separation, but little sound stage and no reverb, echo, detail.
Massive mid-range suck-out and added colouration at the bottom mid.
HUGE bass synthetic gain that added 12dB of bass boost to 70's electric folk bass.
Yet, not true deep bass below 50hz.
No upper treble.
Instruments are close in, a lot of 'presence' due to proximity.

No upper treble sparkle.
Upper mid harshness and sibilance.
Mid-mid suck out.
Lower-mid huge boost.
Massive upper bass boost.
No deep bass.

Ergonomics and haptics are very good and unique. An adjustable 3-D armarture has the fit of the cups angled perfectly to seal around your ear in a 'custom' fit that seals the large ear pads completely over your head to give that massive bass boost. They are heavy, a little bit 'hot' for warm days, with a strong clamp.

These are not even a poor choice for mid-fi cans as almost anything else is as good, but 1/20th of the price.

The only reason to buy this is that Chinese Consumers are label obsessed and will repeat things that are not true, making something popular and desirable just because many say that is so.

If you want to impress your Chinese friends AND you live in China, buy these.

If you want something that actually has decent SOUND, the CAL! for $60 are much better and any $20 pair of Chi-fi, no-name, cans on Taobao will be as good.

A complete and total failure, a complete and total waste of money at $399.99.

Avoid at all costs, waste no time demonstrating these.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #140 of 171
Beats Pro
$399.99 USD

I was a club and radio DJ from 1978-1999. About 20,000 hours in the booth. I have owned 240's, DT-880's and had a Mirage/Krell system in the 90's.

I was at a friends place recently and they had Beats Pro. Listened on my phone and their iPad, referencing using my UE500, CAL! and 668b's.

Short review:
Total garbage and are bettered by $15-$25 Chi-fi cans on my desk right now that are pure coloured mid-fi. Never mind the CAL! which are far superior at $60, and any $400 competitor will be light-years better.

Sibilance in cymbals and upper vocal range of female.
Good instrument separation, but little sound stage and no reverb, echo, detail.
Massive mid-range suck-out and added colouration at the bottom mid.
HUGE bass synthetic gain that added 12dB of bass boost to 70's electric folk bass.
Yet, not true deep bass below 50hz.
No upper treble.
Instruments are close in, a lot of 'presence' due to proximity.

No upper treble sparkle.
Upper mid harshness and sibilance.
Mid-mid suck out.
Lower-mid huge boost.
Massive upper bass boost.
No deep bass.

Ergonomics and haptics are very good and unique. An adjustable 3-D armarture has the fit of the cups angled perfectly to seal around your ear in a 'custom' fit that seals the large ear pads completely over your head to give that massive bass boost. They are heavy, a little bit 'hot' for warm days, with a strong clamp.

These are not even a poor choice for mid-fi cans as almost anything else is as good, but 1/20th of the price.

The only reason to buy this is that Chinese Consumers are label obsessed and will repeat things that are not true, making something popular and desirable just because many say that is so.

If you want to impress your Chinese friends AND you live in China, buy these.

If you want something that actually has decent SOUND, the CAL! for $60 are much better and any $20 pair of Chi-fi, no-name, cans on Taobao will be as good.

A complete and total failure, a complete and total waste of money at $399.99.

Avoid at all costs, waste no time demonstrating these.

Please, Chinese are not so stupid to chase BEATS headphones, whose brand name sounds like "Force you to go to toilet" in Chinese. On the contrary, we just cannot understand the tastes of Americans who made these "distinctive" headphones.

When you criticise others, at least show some evidence and reference, thank you.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #141 of 171
I've seen Beats on various asian tv shows including Chinese shows.

Your "Chinese are not so stupid to chase BEATS headphones" argument doesn't float. They just probably buy counterfeits instead though.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #142 of 171
  I've seen Beats on various asian tv shows including Chinese shows.

Your "Chinese are not so stupid to chase BEATS headphones" argument doesn't float. They just probably buy counterfeits instead though.

Yes. I am Chinese, and you know Chinese people better than me. In Chinese forums, our conclusion is that counterfeits sound much better than the genuine beats.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #143 of 171
  Yes. I am Chinese, and you know Chinese people better than me. In Chinese forums, our conclusion is that counterfeits sound much better than the genuine beats.

Didn't know you were the only or "official" Chinese member/representative of the forums.
rolleyes.gif

Good to know you're also a member of Chinese forums that represent the opinions and shopping habits of all Chinese.

Have fun continuing to argue that no Chinese ever buys Beats based on image/marketing.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #144 of 171
  Didn't know you were the only or "official" Chinese member/representative of the forums.
rolleyes.gif

Good to know you're also a member of Chinese forums that represent the opinions and shopping habits of all Chinese.

Have fun continuing to argue that no Chinese ever buys Beats based on image/marketing.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah. Please have fun keeping stealing concept.

I am not having fun arguing with you, because I feel my logic pulled down to the same level as yours just trying to talk to you. I said A, you argued B; I talked about B, you jumped to topic C.

Nonsense. Disappointing.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #147 of 171
On the contrary, we just cannot understand the tastes of Americans who made these "distinctive" headphones.

When you criticise others, at least show some evidence and reference, thank you.

Since I have lived in China for many years, traveled on many city transit and intercity CRH rail systems in China (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou to name a very few of them) and seen people wearing Beats or a Beat clones and seen the sales figures on TaoBao, my evidence and reference are in ample quantities.

I live in a Tier 6 city and I have seen two people (young women) wearing Beats as they walk down the street or ride the bus in a town that is barely above 'undeveloped'.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #148 of 171
On the contrary, we just cannot understand the tastes of Americans who made these "distinctive" headphones.

That the Chinese then copy in style because you like them so much you make clones that appear similar.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #149 of 171
A small update.

Listened to them again, and they have this odd phase issue going on.

They instruments are all in their places in the sound-stage, correct channel, but it sounds as though each individual instrument is out of phase, 'sucking' the sound rather than pushing it.

The tight fit and haptics and ear pad seal continue to impress, they are very well built, and the cord is detachable with it being partially coiled.

It would make for a really good bargain Chi-fi can, except for that $400 price tag...

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #150 of 171
A small update.

Listened to them again, and they have this odd phase issue going on.

They instruments are all in their places in the sound-stage, correct channel, but it sounds as though each individual instrument is out of phase, 'sucking' the sound rather than pushing it.

The tight fit and haptics and ear pad seal continue to impress, they are very well built, and the cord is detachable with it being partially coiled.

It would make for a really good bargain Chi-fi can, except for that $400 price tag...

*#~^+?!> !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back