Beats Pro Review!l
Jul 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #166 of 171
I got my new Beats Pro the other day after waiting an insane amount time for my amazon pre-order to process. I know that the studios get a good flaming here, but I feel like the Pros are a far better set of cans (I've listened to both, and I like the studios, but damn, these are great).
As a preface to my equipment and music taste, I think its important to note that I'm a bass player (both classical double bass, jazz, and general music production) so I love bass! I love feeling my body shake in rooms with stereos and I love the sensation of my head vibrating, but aslong as its musical, because thats the most important aspect of music! Who cares about ridiculous bass for the sake of shaking things. Also, I'm only using my iPod and Mac Book Pro (but I'm using an M-audio USB soundcard witht the mac book). I tested these with the third movement of Shostakovich's 8th Symphony (played by the National Symphony Orchestra directed by Rostroprovich), Incubas' Sick Sad Little Word, Kanye West's The Good Life, John Coltrane's Giant Steps, and various Hiromi Uehera recordings. 
With the Shostakovich, the detail is ridiculous. Compared to my previous headphones (SK Pros from skullcandys, a waste of $100 compared to these headphones) the recording sounds like your at the front of a good orchestra, as opposed to listening in the very very back of the concert hall. This piece is a blast to blast. Everything is pretty even, all the parts are clearly heard. Basses and cellos boom, but do not loose pitch definition. The bass in these headphones doesn't muddy up the other parts, but is still powerful. Brass sound amazing. Mids are good. I can't say that I've heard GREAT mids, but I have no complaints here. Overall, they handel classical music with ease, it puts a smile on my face every time I listen.
WIth the Incubas recording, it seems the treble is a little much, but I think that is just the eq and setting of the guitar and cymbals done in the studio. The detail is ridiculous. I hear the stick head hitting the cymbals, the nuances of the players style, and little things the vocalist does that I've never noticed before. This has always been one of my favorite songs by then, and its still one of my favorites. The bass cuts through great, guitars are even and not over bearing, drums are there, and you can feel every single bass drum hit. The effect saturated guitar solo is just beyond cool.
Obviously, Kanye is hip hop, and this is where these things shine. The bass is insane. Kanye's voice is crystal clear. The little synth line during the chorus is super funky, and the bass end just adds to the punch. The recording is obviously highly processed, but hey, it still sounds good, and its fun to listen to.
Coltrane's Giant Steps isn't a great recording by today's standards, but its still enjoy it. The bass is driving, but once again, not muddy. You can hear the clicks of the string thwacking the fingerboard, The stick hitting the incredibly dry ride cymbal. Obviously, Coltrane is at the front of the mix, and is virtuoso trumpet style playing never gets lost. I noticed that sometimes the piano gets lost, but its not very high in the mix. The Hiromi recordings are great too. As if her playing didn't give me chills on my spine before, with these it's like listening to it for the first time again! However, I never realized how bad the bass players tone is sometimes...but maybe thats the sign they're good headphones (or bad, depending on if you like tony grey or not). 
Overall, I'm pretty damn happy with these! I thought about picking up an amp for my ipod, but it doesn't really need it. It's comfortably loud at 70 percent volume, and the battery lasts a decent amount time. My drummer borrowed them yesterday, and my Ipod lasted a few hours at full volume, and the car ride home, and they only had a half charge that day. I only paid 265 for these because of the pre order. I'd say they're def worth that, but the 400 they're asking now...thats pushing it. They're great though, and great build quality too. I'd never worry about these breaking, but still take care of them! They're 400 dollar headphones! Hope this helps anyone in speculation of these things. I

imagejpg1-66.jpg

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL

imagejpg2-10.jpg

Congrats on the purchase of your new Beats Pro - they are indeed a awesome headphone.

Unfortunately, beats are the biggest whipping boy brand around and don't get much love here on head-fi which is a shame as they perform way above the criticism for sure.

I agree with a pro review of the beats pro which equated them to being the ATH-M50 done right - the M60 if you will.

Enjoy your Beats Pro's dude - wear them with pride, and thank you for taking the time to make your review - much appreciated for sure (even though your review was 4yrs ago and somebody's resurrected it from the dead - lol) :D

God bless necroposters - :)

This thread will now self destruct in t minus 10, 9, 8, 7 :wink:

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #167 of 171

center]
THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL
center]

Congrats on the purchase of your new Beats Pro - they are indeed a awesome headphone.

Unfortunately, beats are the biggest whipping boy brand around and don't get much love here on head-fi which is a shame as they perform way above the criticism for sure.

I agree with a pro review of the beats pro which equated them to being the ATH-M50 done right - the M60 if you will.

Enjoy your Beats Pro's dude - wear them with pride, and thank you for taking the time to make your review - much appreciated for sure (even though your review was 4yrs ago and somebody's resurrected it from the dead - lol)
biggrin.gif

God bless necroposters -
smily_headphones1.gif

This thread will now self destruct in t minus 10, 9, 8, 7
wink.gif

Strange how you're one of the biggest Beats fanboys around here, and yet you haven't read this beautiful review before. Maybe because you arrived late to the party, but I don't know...yeah, maybe you did arrive late to the party.

Also, HAY D00D.
Sorry about the fuss last time. No hard feelings. 
wink.gif

Now for the mods to arrive. Where are they, anyway?

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #168 of 171
Strange how you're one of the biggest Beats fanboys around here, and yet you haven't read this beautiful review before. Maybe because you arrived late to the party, but I don't know...yeah, maybe you did arrive late to the party.

Also, HAY D00D.
Sorry about the fuss last time. No hard feelings. :wink:

Now for the mods to arrive. Where are they, anyway?

I always arrive fashionably late to parties - it's just not cool to do otherwise - I arrive with beats Pro Detox around my neck and grandstand my entrance - just to wind up the hipsters - lol :D (only joking)

No hard feelings dude :wink:

don't worry about mods - they are like buses - you can wait all day for one then two arrive at once out of their timetable - lol :rolleyes:

Edit: there is something very ironic going on here when a member called "thatBeatsguy" is calling in a beats thread lockdown with such authority that mods are expected to jump to such commands - lol :D

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #169 of 171
I always arrive fashionably late to parties - it's just not cool to do otherwise - I arrive with beats Pro Detox around my neck and grandstand my entrance - just to wind up the hipsters - lol
biggrin.gif
(only joking)

No hard feelings dude
wink.gif

don't worry about mods - they are like buses - you can wait all day for one then two arrive at once out of their timetable - lol
rolleyes.gif

Edit: there is something very ironic going on here when a member called "thatBeatsguy" is calling in a beats thread lockdown with such authority that mods are expected to jump to such commands - lol
biggrin.gif

Yeah, well, I realized that soon after entering Head-Fi. I pretty much have one of the most ironic usernames here -- mostly because I'm not a Beats fanboy. I still do love those Mixrs, Pros, and Studio 2s, though. I wish I had the money to jump on them and have the full range of Mixrs like you do. God, that photo was glorious. It's like a (broke, teenage hipster who lives with his parents type) Beats fanboy's wet dream. Just...damn.

Anyway, let's wait for the mod bus to arrive -- then watch this old thread burn...

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #170 of 171
Yeah, well, I realized that soon after entering Head-Fi. I pretty much have one of the most ironic usernames here -- mostly because I'm not a Beats fanboy. I still do love those Mixrs, Pros, and Studio 2s, though. I wish I had the money to jump on them and have the full range of Mixrs like you do. God, that photo was glorious. It's like a (broke, teenage hipster who lives with his parents type) Beats fanboy's wet dream. Just...damn.

Anyway, let's wait for the mod bus to arrive -- then watch this old thread burn...

Yeah, I love the mixr's - there's a new mixr out now and a new mixr 2 coming shortly

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/HPnNTiNY-f4[/VIDEO]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back