Beats Pro Review!l
Oct 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #106 of 171

Quote:
I think I'm going nuts. I find myself immensely enjoying them the more I give them head time. The drivers are surprisingly efficient, and to be quite honest, they sound their best without an amp. Using the Pro's with my fiio e9 pushes the bass way beyond the tolerable scale; which may be why I found them doofy and odd sounding on the first listen(although there are notable differences with burn-in). Personally, I find they sound great with my phone, laptop or tablet. Despite their bulkiness, they stow away surprisingly well when folded up; to the point where I feel better about tossing them in my bag vs my TMA-1. Although in all fairness to the TMA's, the finish is what I worry about wearing down the most.
I have tested the tracking on these headphones by using a mono 3.5mm jack, and both channels seem to play consistently; a very slight emphasis on the left channel bass tones and sparkle(I had to really listen for it in mono; I cannot tell the difference as stereo).

Note: Just a reminder, I listen to my music at low-sane levels(very rarely do I go far beyond that). But when I have, I notice they begin to sound a little different; almost like someone slipped while adjusting the mid-bass slider. Your experience may vary..

Good stuff! Listen to them before, they better than 90% of the headphones big department stores carry. Regardless the sound, the Pros looks great and solid build.

People need to open their minds and accept not everyone is OCD with sound. If you really think about it some of us wear open headphones in public just to get better sound. That logic would sound stupid to others... open headphones in public?! Or why have open headphones at all if they are just going to leak sound? Might as well use speakers

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #108 of 171
The Beats Pro are good cans eventhough many will not admit. I spent 20 minutes with them Saturday before I chose my D2Ks. Why did I choose the D2K? The sound signature of the D2Ks pleases me more. This does not mean that the Beats Pro suck! Far from it, amazing cans, a bit pricey, and not as comfy as the D2Ks. 

OP, at the end of the day, graphs and charts do not convey the full picture. You went out and listened to these cans. You liked their sound stage, sonic performance and bought them. The rest should not matter. You need not prove anything to anyone. You do what you want with your money at the end of the day. Having said that, you got a great pair of cans. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #109 of 171
Once again, no one says that. Almost everyone agrees that the Beats Pro are good for people who enjoy that sound signature. What we do say is that although they're goodm they're not 400$-good. They're overpriced. For that money, you could get things that would blow the Pros out of the water.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #110 of 171

Quote:
Once again, no one says that. Almost everyone agrees that the Beats Pro are good for people who enjoy that sound signature. What we do say is that although they're goodm they're not 400$-good. They're overpriced. For that money, you could get things that would blow the Pros out of the water.

I think they are capitalizing on the "Beats ...by Dr. Dre" name that is why they price them so high.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #111 of 171
I know why they do it. It's purely marketing. But it's still not audio-related. Most people here won't care the least bit on who endorses their headphones, or what color they are, or which brand, they just want to know about the sound. You see that by people buying old Yamaha orthodynamics that look like trash. We're ok with paying more for sound improvements, not for having Dre's face slapped on the side of the box telling us "people aren't hearing all the music".

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #112 of 171
I don't think anyone needs to feel bad about enjoying the Beats or any other headphone, even if they are not 'audiophile' quality. Despite the fact that I pretty much avoid anything by Monster since its all overpriced,  Yes, the Beats Pro are overpriced, and I even hate Dr. Dre but at the same time, they can be really fun to listen to!  

If you can get them cheaper (like used) they may be worth considering especially when you consider that they are so popular, the resale value will be good on them should you decide to sell them. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #113 of 171
↑ Which is pretty much why I bought them.
I know from some of my friends that some employers offer insane merchant benefits. IIRC: Apple employees get ~60% off monster products. Best Buy employees also benefit from some slick free gear; one of my friends was given a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate "black edition"(which supposedly has a limitless lisence), just for attending some show at a movie theatre.
I know, jokes will soon follow on how 60% off is still overpriced; but the bottom line is people still pay the retail, and others will find value in a deep discount.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #114 of 171
I don't care what anyone says but when i heard the beats pros one thing was going through my mind.

WOW
I was stunned. They sounded like what high end headphones should sound like. Fun and enjoyable and not harsh. Say what you will but i think they're worth the money.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #115 of 171
for 400 bucks, they aren't worth it.

but for 265...hmm not too bad.

you gotta hear some dt 990s though. they destroy the beats pro

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #116 of 171
Believe it or not but i find my sennheiser hd 25 1 ii sounds really identical to the beats pros. And those were $200. So i would pay around $250 for them seeing as they are made of metal.

But heres what it comes down to.

Some people aren't just looking for sound quality. Some people want other things as well.

For example
durability
looks
status symbols (this is debatable for me)
comfort.

When i auditioned them i didn't find them uncomfortable like others did. Yes they were heavy but i am used to wearing heavy headphones. (shure 840)
They look stunning, absolutely beautiful (yes i do care if i am spending a lot on something, What it looks like can be very much important and i am willing to pay an extra $50 for the looks alone.
The build quality is phenomenal (+$75)
Sound quality to me was worth $200
Status symbol, wearing these you are bound to get stares and be notice and you will be the envy of your friends. Not as important to me but still. (+$25)

Add it up you get
$350
I am willing to spend that much on them. No more then that. In Canada they go for $450 retail.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #117 of 171
would there be a big difference in soundstage and clarity between the HD 598 and the beats pros? because I own beats pros, and is looking for a major upgrade and the HD 598 fits just the price.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #118 of 171
Although I have no doubt there is, I can't confirm on clarity. However, since the HD598 is neutral-ish, and the Pros are bass beasts, you will get a lot more clarity.
As for soundstage, yes. The Pros are closed, the HD598 is open. The entire HD5** series is said to have very good soundstage.

For those qualities I'm not sure if the HD598 is the best - although it's definitely amongst the best for its price, what I mean is that I'm not informed enough to know wether there might be something the community generally thinks is better in that price range. And at a certain point it might be a trade-off, for example, the K701 has loads of clarity and exceptional soundstage, but going from the Pros to the K701 would be a shock to you - not to mention the difficulty in amping it, which would require at the very least a Fiio E9. So to answer your question, yes, they would.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #119 of 171
Quote:
would there be a big difference in soundstage and clarity between the HD 598 and the beats pros? because I own beats pros, and is looking for a major upgrade and the HD 598 fits just the price.

I happen to have both; there's a massive difference. The Pro's are not very reaching, and the notes tend to sound vague between high mids and treble. That said, they are a great listen for hip hop and mindless bass excursion. The HD598 have a much more natural sounding bottom end, I find the mids engaging and addictive, imaging is quite phenomenal and spatial cues sound as if they were placed with delicate precision. I know its all opinion, but the 598's are by far my favorite headphones for 80% of my listening

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #120 of 171
here's all that needs to be said to the OP.
if you sacrificed less than 175ish for these beats, then you've done well.
enjoy your headphones.
on the other hand. if you paid more than that....
well. you can still enjoy your beats.
but. 
you'll feel ignorant if you ever try better recommended headphones for less than 150.

and when i say try, i mean listened extensively with your own music and player.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back