Beats Pro Review!l
Jul 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #91 of 171
*facepalm*............. to each their own I guess. .......I just feel so sorry for the OP. Well all I can say is enjoy, until the headband breaks.
beyersmile.png

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #92 of 171

Quote:
*facepalm*............. to each their own I guess. .......I just feel so sorry for the OP. Well all I can say is enjoy, until the headband breaks.
beyersmile.png

Considering these are the Pros and they are completely made of aluminum, I doubt that will happen. Pity him all you want, but if the OP enjoys them that is their business. :)

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #93 of 171
I bet 99% of the people hating on the headphones have never actually even listened to them.  I just purchased a pair of Beats Pros to see if they were any good, and now I am replacing my Bowers and Wilkins P5s with them, while the beats pro are over the ear and are bigger and heavier, they genuinely sounded better than the P5s and I got them for close to P5 price.

It's like my grandpa always use to say; "How can you hate broccoli, you've never even had it before!"

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #94 of 171

Quote:
I bet 99% of the people hating on the headphones have never actually even listened to them.  I just purchased a pair of Beats Pros to see if they were any good, and now I am replacing my Bowers and Wilkins P5s with them, while the beats pro are over the ear and are bigger and heavier, they genuinely sounded better than the P5s and I got them for close to P5 price.

It's like my grandpa always use to say; "How can you hate broccoli, you've never even had it before!"

It's good, but frankly for $350, It is definitely a long shot. I would pay about $250 for them though.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #95 of 171

Quote:

It's good, but frankly for $350, It is definitely a long shot. I would pay about $250 for them though.

Agreed, they are definitely not worth the asking price, but certainly not bad headphones. My biggest problem with them is their weight... 

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #96 of 171
I wish I could see them for $400. They sell for $600+ here in aus despite our strong dollar compared to the US and most headphones being in a comparable price range.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #97 of 171
I listened to these on demo at a Future Shop, not expecting much ( I had listened to some of the rest of the beats line) I was shocked at how good they sounded with the genre's of music the demo had set them up with. I would pay 300 for them. They felt okay and had a great fun sound.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #98 of 171
dude, try the sony XB700, out of an amp it's like a different headphone. i'm seriously blown away how different they sound out of my amp versus unamped.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #99 of 171

Quote:
dude, try the sony XB700, out of an amp it's like a different headphone. i'm seriously blown away how different they sound out of my amp versus unamped.

I agree, XB700 needs a little amping to sound great, I wasn't impressed unamped, the XB500 works fine without an amp though and is much more efficient even if it's 40 ohm vs 24 ohm. Not saying as I'd say XB700 would be worse than XB500 cuz it's down to taste quite a lot but XB500 changes/improves barely anything with amping  (OK well I think there's a noteworthy change with ZO though but that's not your typical amp though, it's more like a good colorisation of the sound so to speak) while XB700 can sound a whole lot different. The biggest hint of this is how XB700 needed to be listened to very loud volume levels to sound "great" unamped, it was a big difference going past a certain volume level. On XB500 I didn't need to listen equally loud unamped to get to great results but volume wise there was also some difference, the vol slider had to be set a bit higher to get equal volume lvl on XB700 (I think it was something along the lines of 31~32% vs 25%) but the XB700 had to be listened past 31% or so to sound optimal while XB500 didn't sound much worse at all at say around 20% compared to 25%.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #100 of 171
I thought the OP actually posted a good review of the Beats Pro along with a few other head-fi'ers in this thread. Monster is a notoriously infamous marketing company so that is something to be aware of when looking at any of their products. Apparently their marketing is working  pretty well to the demographic they have targeted. If people like the looks, SQ, etc. of the Pro and don't mind spending $450 for it then that's their choice to make. It is their money after all. Of course they can find an HP that is a lot better value for the money but I don't think that's the point.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #101 of 171
I'm not sure why people are bashing them either. I wasnt much of a fan of the studios or the solos(I actually thought the solo's sounded better), but the Pro's really surprised me. I was immediately reminded of the liquid sound of the DT770's on the first listen; it wouldnt be a shocker if they use similar drivers either. Still, all I went with was floor models of both(at different stores).

That said, I was extended a very tempting offer by someone who benefits from employee pricing, so maybe I will be able to do a side-side..
atleast this way, I know they will hold their paid value better than investing in the beyers.
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #102 of 171

Quote:
 They're 400 dollar headphones!

No.

Your review was great, you used understandable language with good musical examples, and you kept your balance between being technical and 'subjective'. However, bare in mind your previews choice of headphones was also very poor - nothing wrong with that, you yourself admited - and so, even though the Pros are leagues ahead of the SK's, they're are very much overpriced. It's not to say they're not good, I even agree with most of your impressions, but for 400$ they would not even be in my top 20 priorities.

Also sorry if someone else has also said this (I assume they did).

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #103 of 171
After letting these bad boys burn in for about 20hrs(they were extremely bloaty on the first listen), I have to admit that they are very capable headphones. I havent had the time to do a critical comparison, but they are very fun to listen to. They move a shartload of air btw. I never understood why people said the bass sounds lighter than the studios. The bass can be too much with some songs at higher volumes; but since I listen to my music below 20% volume, that is rarely an issue. I bought them with the intention of flipping them if I didnt like them, but for the price I paid, these arent going anywhere soon ^_^

got a little curious

biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #104 of 171
People say they're bass lighter because the Studios are dark, while the Pros are decent. The Studios have a highs roll-off (and the Solos even more), and so all you get are the mids and bass, which makes it sound dark, muffled. This gets mistaken for bass-heavy, which although they are, doesn't justify the sound. The Pros however have a more capable bass and the highs extend more (which isn't saying much), and gives the impression of having less bass.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #105 of 171
I think I'm going nuts. I find myself immensely enjoying them the more I give them head time. The drivers are surprisingly efficient, and to be quite honest, they sound their best without an amp. Using the Pro's with my fiio e9 pushes the bass way beyond the tolerable scale; which may be why I found them doofy and odd sounding on the first listen(although there are notable differences with burn-in). Personally, I find they sound great with my phone, laptop or tablet. Despite their bulkiness, they stow away surprisingly well when folded up; to the point where I feel better about tossing them in my bag vs my TMA-1. Although in all fairness to the TMA's, the finish is what I worry about wearing down the most.
I have tested the tracking on these headphones by using a mono 3.5mm jack, and both channels seem to play consistently; a very slight emphasis on the left channel bass tones and sparkle(I had to really listen for it in mono; I cannot tell the difference as stereo).

Note: Just a reminder, I listen to my music at low-sane levels(very rarely do I go far beyond that). But when I have, I notice they begin to sound a little different; almost like someone slipped while adjusting the mid-bass slider. Your experience may vary..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back