Beats Pro Review!l
Jun 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #76 of 171
^^^^^. Thanks for the honest feedback. I am thinking about these to go with my iPad for movies/plane travel (long flights). I hope they seal as well as some others out there so I can cut out some of the airplane noise.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #77 of 171
You might be better off with the Bose QC15 if you are looking for something purely for flights and really want to block out unwanted noise. I've not yet used my Pros on a plane but I can say that so far they seem quite good at passive noise isolation. They rely on a tight fit to block out external noise and they do it reasonably well. Once you have the music at a comfortable listening level I'm pretty sure they will of blocked out the sound of the engine.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #79 of 171
I've already posted my thoughts in a different thread. However I'll say this again here and expound upon it... If you MUST buy Beats, the Beats Pro are the way to go. Hell, even Tyll agrees with that. But here is the sad sad fact, it does still have its problems.

Its problems are that they are REALLY heavy (but I suppose one could get used to the weight), but that is forgivable considering that they are constructed from aluminum. That is a really nice touch. The next problem I see is that they aren't the fastest in response that I have heard, which makes them pretty much useless for serious monitoring. However, though they don't have the fidelity for monitoring they are still good for DJing. And the pads are a bitch to change (this could not be a negative, but I tend to like innovative and simple, which these do not). Finally the price. As nice as these are, I just can't find a way to justify the $450 price tag.

The things that make up for the problems are that you can use either side for input, and respectively use the opposite for output allowing you to daisy chain headphones or what ever you need to. The sound is surprisingly good. Again, I wouldn't use them in the Studio, but they are certainly good enough for DJing, and on that same idea they have nice hinged ear pads for single side monitoring while DJing. They are really well built and have user replacable cables, and the ones that they give you lock into place, which is nice for DJs (again). The idea that you don't have to worry about either side coming out while you are spinning is really nice, on one side they give you... er... give with the coiled cable, and on the other they give you a locking mechanism.  

However, the sound is not of $450 headphones, and with headphones like the TMA-1s and the HD25-1 IIs that are equally well built at $200 (and sounding better), I'm sorry, no matter how well built they are, I can't justify them being at $450. If they were closer to that price point I'd say they would be an EXCELLENT competetor, but as it stands they share the same affliction as the rest of the Beats line... they are grossly overpriced. Are they good? Yes, $450 good? not a chance in hell. There are better headphones for that price range that are equally well built, and even less as I have mentioned. I think they could compete well at $250, because of the all metal construction, the sound isn't as good as HD25 or TMA-1, but the metal construction could justify them being more expensive not to mention the "b." If you took those two things away I'd say they were worth $150 (providing that they used better plastic with metal hinges and bar through the headband like the M50s and not the same cheap plastic they used on the rest of their headphones).

On a personal note, I still think the bass is a tad too strong, and they can never achieve a neutral response (much like the TMA-1s, though the TMA-1s can get a bit closer), but they work. They are a fun sounding pair of cans to me. They would be a large set of on the go headphones in my opinion or a DJ set. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #80 of 171

Quote:
I've already posted my thoughts in a different thread. However I'll say this again here and expound upon it... If you MUST buy Beats, the Beats Pro are the way to go. Hell, even Tyll agrees with that. But here is the sad sad fact, it does still have its problems.

Its problems are that they are REALLY heavy (but I suppose one could get used to the weight), but that is forgivable considering that they are constructed from aluminum. That is a really nice touch. The next problem I see is that they aren't the fastest in response that I have heard, which makes them pretty much useless for serious monitoring. However, though they don't have the fidelity for monitoring they are still good for DJing. And the pads are a bitch to change (this could not be a negative, but I tend to like innovative and simple, which these do not). Finally the price. As nice as these are, I just can't find a way to justify the $450 price tag.

The things that make up for the problems are that you can use either side for input, and respectively use the opposite for output allowing you to daisy chain headphones or what ever you need to. The sound is surprisingly good. Again, I wouldn't use them in the Studio, but they are certainly good enough for DJing, and on that same idea they have nice hinged ear pads for single side monitoring while DJing. They are really well built and have user replacable cables, and the ones that they give you lock into place, which is nice for DJs (again). The idea that you don't have to worry about either side coming out while you are spinning is really nice, on one side they give you... er... give with the coiled cable, and on the other they give you a locking mechanism.  

However, the sound is not of $450 headphones, and with headphones like the TMA-1s and the HD25-1 IIs that are equally well built at $200 (and sounding better), I'm sorry, no matter how well built they are, I can't justify them being at $450. If they were closer to that price point I'd say they would be an EXCELLENT competetor, but as it stands they share the same affliction as the rest of the Beats line... they are grossly overpriced. Are they good? Yes, $450 good? not a chance in hell. There are better headphones for that price range that are equally well built, and even less as I have mentioned. I think they could compete well at $250, because of the all metal construction, the sound isn't as good as HD25 or TMA-1, but the metal construction could justify them being more expensive not to mention the "b." If you took those two things away I'd say they were worth $150 (providing that they used better plastic with metal hinges and bar through the headband like the M50s and not the same cheap plastic they used on the rest of their headphones).

On a personal note, I still think the bass is a tad too strong, and they can never achieve a neutral response (much like the TMA-1s, though the TMA-1s can get a bit closer), but they work. They are a fun sounding pair of cans to me. They would be a large set of on the go headphones in my opinion or a DJ set. 

$150? your kidding right?

i tried this and compared them to my old shure srh750dj which are considered value for the money. and guess what? the beats pros beat them in almost every aspect. even if they were made of plastic and had metal hinges like you said i would put them at $250. as for the metal construction. well metal is expensive and it costs a lot to mold them in metal like that. so $350 is reasonable. i would have no issue paying $350 if i had the money on me. they sounded phenomenal to me. and that was out of an ipod touch.

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #81 of 171

Quote:

i tried this and compared them to my old shure srh750dj which are considered value for the money. and guess what? the beats pros beat them in almost every aspect. even if they were made of plastic and had metal hinges like you said i would put them at $250. as for the metal construction. well metal is expensive and it costs a lot to mold them in metal like that. so $350 is reasonable. i would have no issue paying $350 if i had the money on me. they sounded phenomenal to me. and that was out of an ipod touch.

Actually, I would agree with kyuuketsuki. Based on sound quality alone, I'd only pay $150 and to be frank, I don't think an all metal construction is necessarily a plus point when it comes to headphones. Metal may be hard but it is not flexible or light, two factors which I would argue are even more important in the durability of headphones. I would be far more comfortable dropping a pair of HD25s on the floor than a pair of the Beats Pro. Yes, metal might be a more expensive material, but just because something is more expensive does not make it a better idea. Not to mention that  the weight of the metal means it is incredibly heavy for a headphone and thus less comfortable.

And let me clarify, I am by no means a Monster hater. I have a pair of Monster Turbines IEM which I enjoy immensely and I would not mind having a pair of Beats Pros myself. However, I just cannot justify the $350 considering that you could get a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s for about the same price. Personally, I tend to evaluate the value of a headphone based on opportunity cost. If headphone X costs Y amount, what other headphone could I get for Y amount of money? I have not heard the SRH750DJ myself, so I'll take your word for it that that the Beats Pros beat them in all aspects but considering the price difference, they very well should.

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #82 of 171

Quote:

the pro's aren't that bad. bottom of 200  or top of 100 would be my limit to buy these, but Dr.Dre seems to know how to fleece the public into buying multiple pairs of the same headphone no matter how many times they break.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #83 of 171
I gotta say I don't really understand all the hate towards "the beats" and especially their wearers.
I mean, different people have different needs and different requirements concerning their purchases. For many people style and looks might be more important than ultimate sound quality. Who are we to argue and judge?
After all, I guess most of us have made choices like that in other fields: Who can honestly say they haven't ever bought (or wanted to buy) designer clothing, or at least not the most practical? Or likewise shoes? Cars are another prime example. If we all bought practical, there would probably only be silver grey hatches and station wagons on the road.

To the people talking about the beats wearers' arrogance: I think 9 times out of 10, beats users aren't staring at you. It's your own self-consciousness that makes you feel as if they were, or your insecurity about your own purchase that makes you stare at them, so that they – of course – either stare back or withdraw into their own little world inside their phones and start bobbing their heads (don't we all do this from time to time?).
I'm myself not without blame in this area – having been one of the nerds at school I know these feelings quite well and have had my share of chuckling about the "cool guys" together with the other nerds. Yet, meanwhile I think we're all (or most) adults and should learn to get along and accept each others' choices, be these whatever they are.

Peace.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #84 of 171

Quote:

I would prefer the SRH750DJ's any day over the Beats Studios. I heard more details through my music with the 750DJ's than the overly bass-bloated Beats. Though the 750DJ's had less quantity of bass to my ears, the bass was actually way more refined and detailed, not muddled and overpowering like in the Beats' sound signature. The bass in the 750DJ's was also quicker and more punchy than the long-driven, subwoofer-like Beats, which to my ears sounds much more pleasing and accurate.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #85 of 171
You're paying 90% of Dr Dre phones price tags for their looks, brand name, and only 10% percent for sound quality. When you're wearing a HD800 on your neck, I bet there is only 1/100 people could recognize it on the street, but if it was a Beat by Dr Dre, almost everyone would say:"Wow, cool, blah, blah..." except some people who know its real value...

No offense at all,just my 2cents.
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #86 of 171

Quote:
I would prefer the SRH750DJ's any day over the Beats Studios. I heard more details through my music with the 750DJ's than the overly bass-bloated Beats. Though the 750DJ's had less quantity of bass to my ears, the bass was actually way more refined and detailed, not muddled and overpowering like in the Beats' sound signature. The bass in the 750DJ's was also quicker and more punchy than the long-driven, subwoofer-like Beats, which to my ears sounds much more pleasing and accurate.

that is you. i found the shure srh750dj to be to honest and it ruined the experience of music for me. the beats masked bad recordings and made them fun.

because i have stated before. most of my music is badly recorded. but at the same time im not changing my music because of my gear.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #87 of 171

I am sorry but Beats Pro is total trash, I tried but refuse to put them on,
You get far better quality headphones for $400.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #88 of 171
IMO. Beats studio is better. Pro's comfort level is so so so low. They are extremely uncomfortable IMO.

Sound wise, they sound almost identical. bt I dun wanna start on it. U will never put them on once u heard other same price cans.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #89 of 171
Why is this still being bumped haha? As long as the person is happy then let by gones be by gones (or however that saying goes). Yes beats suck but oh well.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #90 of 171

I don't see the point in slagging off headphones you haven't even heard. It just does nobody any good.

Quote:

I am sorry but Beats Pro is total trash, I tried but refuse to put them on,
You get far better quality headphones for $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back